DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on the new firmware .600

Cerberus

Reactions
Ok, I noted some good things and some bad things...

But I only flew once ever since the .600 update so need more flights first to confirm..

Good, I noted that I suffer Video signal inteference a lot slower than usual.. normally when I start flying for not more than a minute or so, my video signal will flash to indicate there is interference.
With the .600, I flew till around 1km away only then the video interference kick in... Could be coincidence I flew over some place with heavy interference before but going to need more test flights to confirm on this..

Second good thing, Night videos, I can't explain it but trying to video night shots, the video color looks more "pleasing" to me somehow.. I can't explain.. I'll try and dig out some night videos I made and try to do a side by side comparison..

Third... This one I can't say for sure is correct or not, but its iin regards to the "forced landing" protocol in the Mavic. I had it autoland and when it reaches .5m, it asked for confirmation to land and I had to slide a bar to confirm a landing... Would that be the "Force Landing" you guys kept referring to where you c an't push the stick up to abort it?

Well, I did that, slide the bar and push the stick, the Mavic aborts the landing.. I tried to do it again but for some reason, it no longer asked for confirmation to land and just goes straight for a landing when I initiated a Autoland..So do tell me whether what I did before was a "force landing".. If it is, then I think DJI put back the abort landing with the stick thingy.. maybe.. I'm gonna try again later after I got time and charged my battery and stuff..

Now to the bad....Only one, but it **** way near gave me a heart attack..

I flew to this lake place that is roughly 1k meter away from me.. have done it many times before and yes, I sometimes suffer video interference and even radio interference but my Mavic can go further than that most of the times no problem and I can still take some nice vids..

Well, when I reach that spot , everything went black.. total radio and video signal loss... my heart was pounding like mad and I was trying very hard not to panic . I kept trying to remember whether it was 30 seconds or 20 seconds my Mavic will start RTH when the signal remains loss..

With my heart pounding hard, the message pop up around like 2 to 3 times saying signal loss and asks whether I wanna initiate a RTH.. **** HELL I want to and I kept clicking OK after each message.. And Thank the heavens, my Mavic did return and I regain signal when it is roughly 700 plus meter away from me..

I'm worried over this wondering whether .600 have kind of mess up the range that I use to be able to go with my mavic in previous firmwares..

I'm not sure whether I will dare to try it again but only time will tell..

So drop a comment here on what do you think of the .600 firmware update..

Fly safe...

Reactions: MLR and mnczpz
Another bad thing.. But I think this is more for my DJI go 4 app..

the video it supposedly caches cannot be opened at all by my phone..
This is the second flight with the new .600 and the first flight video also encounters this..

I enabled the microphone to record thing so I'm wondering whether thats what is messing up the video..

Reactions: rockydog
When you got the black screen and the message asking if you want to RTH, I think the message is "No Image Transmission Signal - do you want to RTH?" At that point, it's only the downlink which has failed, and you've still got control of the Mavic...but you don't have any live view to show you where you are. If the control signal fails, the Mavic waits for 3 seconds (not 30) and automatically initiates RTH without you having to tell it.

Reactions: MLR
When you got the black screen and the message asking if you want to RTH, I think the message is "No Image Transmission Signal - do you want to RTH?" At that point, it's only the downlink which has failed, and you've still got control of the Mavic...but you don't have any live view to show you where you are. If the control signal fails, the Mavic waits for 3 seconds (not 30) and automatically initiates RTH without you having to tell it.

Nop, that wasn;t the message .. and no, it wasn't only the image that was gone, the radio signal was totally gone too..
shows no connection and all info on my drone turns into dashes...what a day..Thank god my baby returned to me safe and sound

ok, I charged my battery up and tested the video cache on the phone again.. seems like a random thing..

it will work now but tap to video again and the second video become un-openable...I'm wondering is it because of the record sound from the phone option that is messing up the cache video..

Its late now so I'm a bit too lazy to test this theory out.. So hope you guys will give some feedback on this..Are you guys experiencing this issue too?

You just might have total LoS loss when rc/hd signals were gone. You sure you flew exactly the same profile as usual?
I had something like that at 5.5km. From 4 bars to totally nothing in a second. When I analyzed the situation it seemed that 1km from homepoint the terrain itself was 25m higher AND houses/trees on top. Calculating I was still amazed I made it that far at 90m (homepoint) altitude.
It's easy to underestimate a small shed 10 m away but may require you to be at 300m altitude at 1km..

You just might have total LoS loss when rc/hd signals were gone. You sure you flew exactly the same profile as usual?
I had something like that at 5.5km. From 4 bars to totally nothing in a second. When I analyzed the situation it seemed that 1km from homepoint the terrain itself was 25m higher AND houses/trees on top. Calculating I was still amazed I made it that far at 90m (homepoint) altitude.
It's easy to underestimate a small shed 10 m away but may require you to be at 300m altitude at 1km..

exactly the same profile...been in that flight path a lot of times..

exactly the same profile...been in that flight path a lot of times..
Then that's indeed worth investigating, maybe even try to reproduce. May be a glitch, may be firmware related.
I can imagine the feeling when it happens though. Thankfully most of us are blessed with Mavics that have proven to be very loyal.

Then that's indeed worth investigating, maybe even try to reproduce. May be a glitch, may be firmware related.
I can imagine the feeling when it happens though. Thankfully most of us are blessed with Mavics that have proven to be very loyal.

Yea, this is what worries me now, plus the phone video cache issue (which nobody have posted here on whether they encountered this or not before).

The total signal lost all I can do is maybe try that flight path again and see whether it happens again or not...which I don't think will be anytime soon.. Just thinking of the incident today makes my heart go pumping..

But again, to the phone video cache, seriously.... nobody had this issue?

Yea, this is what worries me now, plus the phone video cache issue (which nobody have posted here on whether they encountered this or not before).

The total signal lost all I can do is maybe try that flight path again and see whether it happens again or not...which I don't think will be anytime soon.. Just thinking of the incident today makes my heart go pumping..

But again, to the phone video cache, seriously.... nobody had this issue?

Have you considered downgrading?

The 3 clips I shot till now are all ok both on the smartphone (Huawei P9 lite) and the SD of the Mavic, but I have the "audio record" option disabled since I upgraded, because... who wants to hear what I blabber to myself while I am nose-up? The best one could hear would be a "fu** you" to some bird passing by :)
By tomorrow I'll take a clip or two with audio enabled so to see how it goes

The 3 clips I shot till now are all ok both on the smartphone (Huawei P9 lite) and the SD of the Mavic, but I have the "audio record" option disabled since I upgraded, because... who wants to hear what I blabber to myself while I am nose-up? The best one could hear would be a "fu** you" to some bird passing by :)
By tomorrow I'll take a clip or two with audio enabled so to see how it goes

Alright... I'll be waiting for your findings then.. Hopefully more ppl will check it out to see whether they have this issue too or not..

p.s :- I think i tried disabling the sound record function on one of my test.. First I started flying with the sound record on... record some and talk some nonsense... then I landed, disabled the sound record off, took off and record... When back in the house and the first video with sound is playable, but the second video is not playable...Copying the two mp4 to computer yields the same results.. I hope this is not some random issue thingy..

I might if this is an issue caused by the new firmware.. hence I want to find out am I the only one who has this issue or a lot of other ppl noted this issue too...

You're not alone, definitely. On the italian Mavic facebook group there are at least 2 other users experiencing this. One has the issue on the copies stored in the SD of the Mavic, also, and that's a real bummer :(

Thats good to know..

now to the unplayable video cache on your phone? anyone else have this issue?

I might if this is an issue caused by the new firmware.. hence I want to find out am I the only one who has this issue or a lot of other ppl noted this issue too...

I might have had something similar during last couple of flights. The film was not visible sometimes in dji editor and also the log partly missing (only part of the return flight was there). On SD card just fine. I thought it was due to my phone memory being on the low side, didn't really bother since footage was good. Im on mavic .0200 by the way. The GO4 version was 0404. I think an app issue then, have to check this next flights. All work no play these days..

You're not alone, definitely. On the italian Mavic facebook group there are at least 2 other users experiencing this. One has the issue on the copies stored in the SD of the Mavic, also, and that's a real bummer :(

Hmm, all the recordings on my Mavic was fine... just the video cache for the phone are my issue.. So I guess we'll just have to see from your findings and we'll know for sure..

I guess I'm making a big deal for this is because I plan to make some review videos and having the video recordings on my voice helps makes my objective easier..

I might have had something similar during last couple of flights. The film was not visible sometimes in dji editor and also the log partly missing (only part of the return flight was there). On SD card just fine. I thought it was due to my phone memory being on the low side, didn't really bother since footage was good. Im on mavic .0200 by the way. The GO4 version was 0404. I think an app issue then, have to check this next flights. All work no play these days..

hehe, well, before .600, I never had any issues of this kind... just on .600 ...

On side note.. I thought back to when I was trying to upgrade my remote... it kind of hung at 72% and I don't really recall what I did... probably turn off and unplug and stuff. It then says upgrading and stuff and says 100% completed..

So on the curious side, I plug my RC to the DJI assistant 2 again and it says I can upgrade to .600.....not that its already .600.. (what the...)

So I upgraded it one more time... and this time it hits 100% without any problems.. unplug and plug a couple of times and this time, DJI assistant says my RC on .600.

I'm hoping this is the reason for my total signal loss and my video cache issue.. will be posting when I have the time to fly my bird again..
in Mean time, anyone else having this video cache problem, do comment here so I can breathe a little better. ;p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters