DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tilt but no Pan

Raptorman

Reactions
I haven't seen this stated explicitly yet but it appears to me the gimbal permits only changing the tilt (up/down) and that there is no panning feature -- to pan you must yaw the bird. Is this correct?

Honestly though, even with my I1 Pro which does have gimbal panning I seldom use it because as a single operator I need to be able to see where I'm going so panning is usually done by yawing the AC. Not that that fully protects you from hitting stuff but when flying with the camera pointed in another direction you can more easily get disoriented.

Brian

You pan by yawing the drone, not the gimbal. Keep in mind, the camera does not drop below the body of the drone.

Reactions: stealle
That is correct. There really is no need for panning on the gimbal as the Mavic is designed for single operator use. As Brian mentioned you can easily get disoriented when you had add gimbal panning which would only cause problems with a consumer drone that is a popular entry level drone.

But, while there is no manual panning, one of the three stabilizing axis' is panning, correct? In other words, to remove any unsteadiness in the yaw due to abrupt controller input or wind gusts, the camera does have some 'play' in which it can pan slightly...

But, while there is no manual panning, one of the three stabilizing axis' is panning, correct? In other words, to remove any unsteadiness in the yaw due to abrupt controller input or wind gusts, the camera does have some 'play' in which it can pan slightly...

Correct...and if it's like the phantoms, you can actually see the pan axis move a little to "lead" yaw input from the controller, for just this reason. It has a physical pan capability of something like 45° off center in either direction (that's the spec for phantoms...assume this is the same)

EDIT: also worth mentioning that the Course Lock mode gets you a lot of the functionality of a full rotating gimbal, and makes it much more possible for a single operator to do things like track a car passing in parallel flight

Reactions: NZT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest