DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tilted horizon

Reactions
Wondering if the latest Mavic Pro update improved/fixed the proverbial gimbal tilt. I've been through 2 Mavic quads now both with terrible tilt regardless of all the calibrations and troubleshooting. Some say it's the sensors and accelerometers calculating new definitions of where "down" is, using its algorithms. Makes some sense I guess. That being said why do some birds experience no issues? I've also gotten DJI to verbally admit that's is a known issue. Has to be an answer and resolution.

Mine didn't do it until last update. Now it's about a 5 degree list. I haven't calibrated the unit ever.. might try that and see if it gets better.

Reactions: Superior-Side 906
I have some issues, especially when it's fighting heavy wind. There is a submenu option to adjust gimbal roll during flight but it's not ideal.

Rclbud, are you referring the the firmware update on 3/2/17? If so I had a Magic prior to this with horrible tilt issues and have since returned it. I'm chatting with DJI now and they advise they are working on another FW update that is supposedly addressing the tilted horizon. Smoke in mirrors?

From what I see the issue is to do with the lack of gimbal correction. The gimbal is what needs to become level regardless of body roll or flight pitch. As it is now, the gimbal is not compensating for ANYTHING. As far as settings go, the only thing that comes to mind is the asking if you want to lock the gimbal while taking a image(or something like that). I have tested this feature with no results. I moved the gimbal by the stick & thumb wheel with the setting both enable and disabled. I found neither option to make any change. As mentioned, the gimbal does not compensate.

I've noticed mine has been off since the update before the last one. I tried recalibrating today but it was too windy (for me) to fly. I'll post again once I can fly again.

Make sure the drone is sitting on a perfectly level surface before you power on since the drone needs to reference "horizontal" before calibration. I've sat mine on the grass, powered on, flew it, and reviewed the video and noticed a tilt as mentioned here. If I place the drone on my garage floor or table top that is perfectly flat/horizontal and then take the drone outside, place it on the ground (reset the home point!) and then take it up...the tilt is gone. Always use a horizontal surface at startup.

Make sure the drone is sitting on a perfectly level surface before you power on since the drone needs to reference "horizontal" before calibration. I've sat mine on the grass, powered on, flew it, and reviewed the video and noticed a tilt as mentioned here. If I place the drone on my garage floor or table top that is perfectly flat/horizontal and then take the drone outside, place it on the ground (reset the home point!) and then take it up...the tilt is gone. Always use a horizontal surface at startup.
You reference horizontal surfaces. I've done multiple calibrations on dead "level" surfaces to no avail. That being said all calibrations I've done have been indoors, away from interference ando metal always including disconnecting all electronics and wifi etc. But I wonder if it should be done outdoors?? Do you get tilt issues if you yaw quickly? I compare to my P3A which has no tilt at all. I guess what I'm getting at is maybe my definition of tilt which is zero is different than others. My horizon tilts when I yaw or turn then if I stop it corrects to level somewhat. Just doesn't seem it should do this. I've seen other units fly aggressively and in wind and experience no tilt. Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't expect the Mavic's gimble to be able to tilt as much as the drone itself when running in sports mode or during aggressive yaws or stops. With that said, maybe it can but I rarely push mine like this because I'm typically shooting video or images anytime I'm up. I've only had mine in sports mode once and I was like, "cool - it moves fast." and that was pretty much it for me. Maybe my slow and steady is why I haven't seen what you're describing. I can say that under normal, slow movements that I do not see noticeable tilt when changing directions.

Reactions: Superior-Side 906
I've re-calibrated the gimbal a couple times and then believed in it when it seemed okay. Then another flight and it's tilted.

It seems to me that it's related to wind vector and not corrected in the vehicle. eg: have to bank right to compensate for wind but not compensating the gimbal. Maybe.

I've tried the offset too, but of course if the basic control of the gimbal is wrong then offsetting is just compounding the issue (or occasionally getting lucky).

Reactions: Jaysjob
I've re-calibrated the gimbal a couple times and then believed in it when it seemed okay. Then another flight and it's tilted.

It seems to me that it's related to wind vector and not corrected in the vehicle. eg: have to bank right to compensate for wind but not compensating the gimbal. Maybe.

I've tried the offset too, but of course if the basic control of the gimbal is wrong then offsetting is just compounding the issue (or occasionally getting lucky).
I agree this seems probable. Just can't seem to get why a friend's unit has no issues with tilt. Some units are negligible and others horrible. Leads me to believe it's got to be some sort of hardware limitation/issue passing QC. Maybe it's the small gimbal? But that being said I had the phantom 4 an 's that had horizon tilt issues too. DJI is no help what so ever. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of these quads. The only remaining reason for frustration is that I compare to my P3A which is flawless. I was considering selling the unit but I'll probably never consider it now. Cheers.

I agree this seems probable. Just can't seem to get why a friend's unit has no issues with tilt. Some units are negligible and others horrible. Leads me to believe it's got to be some sort of hardware limitation/issue passing QC. Maybe it's the small gimbal? But that being said I had the phantom 4 an 's that had horizon tilt issues too. DJI is no help what so ever. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of these quads. The only remaining reason for frustration is that I compare to my P3A which is flawless. I was considering selling the unit but I'll probably never consider it now. Cheers.

May also be the manner in which it's flown. Gentle may be rewarding.

I as well have the problem after last update

Yes I agree that mine at least is mostly wind related. When compensating for the strong winds it results in a tilted horizon but otherwise quite reliably level.

Reactions: Jaysjob
I just ordered my 4th Mavic. I will post updates when it arrives. In the meantime anyone with the issue please chime in with your experiences/fix for it if any. Has to be a reason some units fail and some pass. Cheers.

May also be the manner in which it's flown. Gentle may be rewarding.
Again I agree, I shoot for local realtors and am designing an app. for golfers so I also am a believer in slow and easy. But that being said if/when there is any sort of wind, even minimal wind combined with easy turns the horizon on my units were impacted negatively. Makes for a frustrating post production. Thanks for the input.

Wondering if the latest Mavic Pro update improved/fixed the proverbial gimbal tilt. I've been through 2 Mavic quads now both with terrible tilt regardless of all the calibrations and troubleshooting. Some say it's the sensors and accelerometers calculating new definitions of where "down" is, using its algorithms. Makes some sense I guess. That being said why do some birds experience no issues? I've also gotten DJI to verbally admit that's is a known issue. Has to be an answer and resolution.

You're probably referencing my post:
Horizon Tilt regardless of Gimbal Roll Adjustment mid flight

Why some birds experience it and others don't, I don't know. Could be quality control issues with the sensors, could be interference where you fly, could be the way you fly. Could be all three. I've found that (referencing my attached post) the way you fly seems to have a pretty big impact on whether or not the problem presents itself and how bad it is when it does. Until they address the issue with a fw update, you're basically stuck having to counteract the issue by doing the opposite of what caused it. Also, unless you have a truly screwed up gimbal where even after a calibration on a perfectly flat surface you need to manually adjust the roll before you've even left the ground to get a "true level" (in which case send that bird back to DJI, it ain't right), you should never have the manual roll adjustment set to anything but zero. It will only cause headaches you can't fix because when your horizon screws up again...and it WILL get screwed up again, now you are trying to correct a titled horizon back to +2 instead of back to 0 where it should have been in the first place.

You're probably referencing my post:
Horizon Tilt regardless of Gimbal Roll Adjustment mid flight

Why some birds experience it and others don't, I don't know. Could be quality control issues with the sensors, could be interference where you fly, could be the way you fly. Could be all three. I've found that (referencing my attached post) the way you fly seems to have a pretty big impact on whether or not the problem presents itself and how bad it is when it does. Until they address the issue with a fw update, you're basically stuck having to counteract the issue by doing the opposite of what caused it. Also, unless you have a truly screwed up gimbal where even after a calibration on a perfectly flat surface you need to manually adjust the roll before you've even left the ground to get a "true level" (in which case send that bird back to DJI, it ain't right), you should never have the manual roll adjustment set to anything but zero. It will only cause headaches you can't fix because when your horizon screws up again...and it WILL get screwed up again, now you are trying to correct a titled horizon back to +2 instead of back to 0 where it should have been in the first place.
Very true. I too believe it may be a combination of factors. I've been quite systematic with my approach at figuring the issue out. It's obvious that the more aggressive a person flies the more tilt. Wind is also a factor. I flew my P3A this evening over Lake Superior with a decent amount of wind. I also flew at full throttle and experienced no horizon tilt at all. Maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges here? But it's so hard for me to believe that the mavic being 4 models newer than my P3A a much improved device has such an issue keeping a level horizon. Thanks for your input. Cheers.

Reactions: Humanparody
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54