DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time delay between Controller and Mavic

Mike L

Reactions
I have had my Mavic for a couple of months now and have flown it a few times and have really enjoyed working with it.
Having upgraded the firmware recently - which all seemed to go very smoothly - I am now experiencing a noticeable (2 - 5 sec) delay between issuing a directional instruction, via the controller to the Mavic, - and the Mavic or the gimbal actually responding.
When it does respond, it often goes beyond the point required as I have over-compensated with the controller instructions based on what I am seeing on the iPad Mini. As a result, film is very jerky and jumps from one aspect to the next. Smooth flight and gimbal panning is almost impossible. The quality of the video being recorded doesn't appear to influence this problem in any way.
I am on version 4.0.8 of the DJI GO 4 app. The aircraft and the controller are at v01.03.0600.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or is anyone able to offer any suggestions as to how to rectify this please ?

I'd start by reinstalling the app on the iPad (delete app, power down iPad fully, restart iPad and install app) and make sure you have closed down any other apps running on the iPad before your next flight.

Which iPad Mini is it?

Also check the 'Hardware Decoding' option in the app, if it isn't turned on try turning it on.

If it is on and you are using a Mini 2 or Mini 3 try turning it off....

Reactions: Mike L
I'd start by reinstalling the app on the iPad (delete app, power down iPad fully, restart iPad and install app) and make sure you have closed down any other apps running on the iPad before your next flight.

Which iPad Mini is it?

Also check the 'Hardware Decoding' option in the app, if it isn't turned on try turning it on.

If it is on and you are using a Mini 2 or Mini 3 try turning it off....

Thanks Mark - I have an iPad Mini 2/Retina - and have just deleted DJI Go app, powered down and reinstalled as you suggest. Hardware Decoding is currently on - so have turned it off for now and just need it to stop raining so that I can test it out.
I will let you know how that goes.
Thanks for your advice,
Mike

OP, what you are really experiencing is a delay between your device and the Mavic, and not a delay between the controller and the Mavic. I did read your entire post, and your device is the probably the problem, but there's a difference. If the Mavic is hovering in front of you, and you dont look at your device and fly it, and it responds to your commands instantly, then its not a problem between the controller and the Mavic.

Last edited:
OP, what you are really experiencing is a delay between your device and the Mavic, and not a delay between the controller and the Mavic. I did read your entire post, and your device is the probably the problem, but there's a difference. If the Mavic is hovering in front of you, and you dont look at you device and fly it, and it responds to your commands instantly, then its not a problem between the controller and the Mavic.
Thanks for this - I will test this out as well and hopefully narrow the problem down a bit !
Best Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the advice guys - I eventually managed to get some flying done yesterday and the Mavic is now much more responsive - more like its original self.
The challenge for me is understanding the impact of changing different the settings - much more practice needed !
Mike

My MP2 also does the lag thing but it is not the Go App as I use litchi and it's not video lag rather lag starting and stopping recording. It's the weirdest thing as it takes 10-15 second to accept the command to start or stop recording. Otherwise the unit works fine.

IOS mini2 and latest firmware all around.

Same here, a lot of input lag between the REMOTE and the Mavic 2 Pro ! NOT THE APP ! What lags :
- Tilting the gimbal
- Gimbal forward/down
- Yaw Axis
- Change EV
- Change Aperture
- Record Movie button (can take up to 15 seconds !)
- AF
- Take photo button (shutter)

It's NOT an issue with the app, as these controls are directly applied on the remote. It's NOT an issue of video lag either : the controls are actually applied with a significant delay when watching the drone fly. The EV and record indicators are checked on the remote's display, not the app.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S5 and latest DJI GO 4. Mavic 2 Pro running on latest firmware as well. U3 SDXC card freshly formatted by the done itself.
I've noticed the problem is becoming increasingly apparent with the flight time : at the beggining it's OK but at the end there can be seconds between the inputs and the reaction !

Anyone has a solution to this ? In this condition I cannot fly this drone safely nor use it to make any useful video. That's extremely frustrating !

I turned off caching and it appear it may have helped but I have not tested in the field so I will do that and update accordingly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty