DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for filming Concert

mastermind

Reactions
I have a concert promoter that is having an outdoor concert in a park that is safe to fly. They asked if I would be interested capturing some drone footage of the concert. Anyone have any tips that have done something similar. It will start in early evening and end at night.

Make sure they fully understand their liability having a drone fly over people attending, and the potential risks involved. Then, make sure you get a signed release of liability for YOU, assigning all responsibility for anything that happens, including due to your negligence, to them.

Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: Doyleh13
Make sure they fully understand their liability having a drone fly over people attending, and the potential risks involved. Then, make sure you get a signed release of liability for YOU, assigning all responsibility for anything that happens, including due to your negligence, to them.

Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.

Good idea. anyone have a template or something similar they used with some sort of appropriate legalese

If there is any compensation, you do understand you will need to be part 107? At that point you will be forbidden to operate over anyone not related to your activity, I.E. helpers spotters etc.

So, I'll assume this is purely recreational, and could in no way be construed as anything but by the FAA. While flying over people is not expressly forbidden, It is strongly discouraged and it is not the smartest idea, due to the fact that if your ship goes down on someones head, the media will be all over it. This is the kind of thing that the media and the nanny politicians constantly use for ammunition to attempt to regulate the cr** out of our hobby. At that point also the Feds could use the "careless and reckless" card against you, and that would be a very bad day.

So, my advice, as I have done similar things over the past few years is: Find an area to launch and land, off away from the crowds and any bystanders. This is for safety, obviously but also because you will be distracted by a million questions from onlookers if you don't. Then go up to sufficient altitude to get a perspective from an angle. You can hover and travel over buildings, and protective covers also without putting people in any jeopardy. If you have a failure, (other than a flyaway) the Mavic is most likely to go straight down into an empty space or roof, harming nothing but your own pride.

Last edited:
There are a LOT of times I'm asked to do similar things. All I can think of is what happens when my drone hits someone in the face and blinds them for life.

Sadly that's the reality. I never end up doing it.

Please note that the FAA's interpretation of compensation, when it comes to defining a commercial operation is incredibly broad. For manned aircraft the criteria for a flight to be considered commercial include a great number of things that one might not think of. I'm not sure how hung-ho they are about violating people over this stuff, but they certainly have a very broad definition of what is commercial

Even if you receive no compensation, if it is not a "hobby" or "recreational flight", it would fall under Part 107.

Frequency spectrum. See if you can fly during a rehearsal to see if you experience radio interference. Look for thin cabling stretching along flight area. Be mindful of flying water bottles. [emoji3]

Frequency spectrum. See if you can fly during a rehearsal to see if you experience radio interference. Look for thin cabling stretching along flight area. Be mindful of flying water bottles. [emoji3]

This is great advise. The only other thing I will add is to plan your shots ahead of time if possible. I've started to write down the shots I want to get before I even fly. This allows me to concentrate on each shot instead of trying to come up with it "on the fly".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929