DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for keeping the iPhone alive during cold temperatures?

Sleepy81

Reactions
Just started flying the Mavic Pro, and where I live it is fairly cold this time of year.

My first flight was in -12*C/10*F. MP worked fine, but Iphone died due to cold temp within 3-4 min. (Still 70% iPhone battery left)

Today I tried in 3*C/37*F, and this time the iPhone died within 30 min due to beeing to cold. (Had 50% iPhone battery left at that point)

The fact that the iPhone shuts down in cold temperatures is a known issue, but I was wondering if anybody had some tips or trick as to keep it alive during the winter season? I was thinking of strapping one of those "chemical handwarmers" to the back of it the next time... Anybody tried that?
How is the iPad mini? Same issues in cold weather?

I have the same issues. Luckily, my Phantom 3 Standard does not require a cable in my phone, so I can keep the phone alive using a power bank.
I am too curious how to overcome this should I buy a Mavic. I had hopes it would be possible to connect power to the RC which feeds the phone, but it doesn't.
I like flying in the winter, but my iPhone does not.
IPads as far as my experience goes can withstand the cold better.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Good question. I have flow down to 8 F for a longer period (and briefly at lower temps) and it turns out the iPhone is the weak link. I carry the Mavic and controller wrapped inside my pack so they spend several hours at low temps but still above ambient temperature. The Mavic battery is being warmed with the 3m cold/hot gel pack. When I flew for 15 minutes at 8 deg F after a 2.5 hour hike, I carried the iPhone in my inside jacket pocket but this was still my outer layer of clothing so it felt pretty cold. When my flight was done, it was showing about 20% charge. The iPhone seems like the weak link since the controller and Mavic batteries were performing as normal. Here's what I do, I charge it using my car as I drive to the trail head so I start with 100% charge. I try to carry the iPhone in an inside pocket as close to my body as I can. If it gets colder I may add a gel or chemical warming pack to keep the phone warm.

Reactions: USPilot
Looks like any phone case helps a bit. Without it at -15 Celcius iPhone died in couple of minutes. With case I had no issues.

I wish I had trouble keeping it warm, mine shut down after 5 minutes from the heat

Looks like any phone case helps a bit. Without it at -15 Celcius iPhone died in couple of minutes. With case I had no issues.

Good observation. I have a case on my iPhone6 and at 8 deg F I was losing almost half the capacity with one flight (18 minutes) and that's starting with a somewhat warm battery (kept in an inside pocket of my jacket). Guessing I could have gotten two flights total.

I so wanted to say Buy an Android phone but I stopped myself

Oh wait !!!

:) JK

42F today 25mph winds 15 minute flight my iPhone 7 went from 100% to 79% batt.. not as bad as my 6S but still not great.

Build a fire.

Or buy one of these:
FPV Wild Remote Controller Wind Jacket Cover Drone Transmitter Hand Glove for RC | eBay

Handwarmers.JPG

I'm aiming for modifying my remote like this so that it fits an iPhone with battery case attached. That way it will stay topped up at 100% battery most of the time, and the warmth generated by the external battery discharging should also help.

I used Mophie battery case with iPhone 6S. It just about fits and is usable. However, at -24 C RC and iPhone got disconnected after six minute flight.

Hey guys. Sorry for necro. I have the same issue, but i think i found a workaround. If you tether your internet to wifi the phone heats up pretty hot. I think any other cpu loading app would work too. Eats the battery, sure, but still longer worktime then default.

Toe warmers!

Buy some adhesive toe warmers and stick one onto the back of your phone. This has worked for me for years flying drones anywhere from 10 F (-18 C) down to -20F (-29 C).

Just be careful if it's not very cold out. You can overheat an iPhone too. It doesn't do permanent damage, but the phone will shut off until it cools down. Just try to remember to take it off when you get back in your cozy car.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0...oe+warmers&dpPl=1&dpID=61SY2YHGI3L&ref=plSrch

(Same toe warmer trick works on controllers or pretty much any battery powered electronics)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000