DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TO FAA OR NOT TO FAA......?

aringhof

Reactions
Are most people registering their Magic Pros with the FAA and getting a N number assigned? If so, where are people displaying their N tail number? Just looking for ideas of where to display my new number

You must register if you are flying a drone as heavy as the Mavic in the USA. It costs $5. Penalties are much higher if a very minor accident or incursion brings the attention of the FAA onto you.

It's not a tail number; you're registering the pilot not the drone. The same number can go on all your drones.

The registration number must be put somewhere on the drone that people can access and see without using any tools. Inside the Mavic battery bay is okay.

that's what i figured. i paid $10 for the N number i wanted already. I'm mailing in another $5 for the registration. just curious how overtly people are displaying their N numbers

Are you flying as a hobbyist? If so, you don't need an N number.

Reactions: Randy
Are most people registering their Magic Pros with the FAA and getting a N number assigned? If so, where are people displaying their N tail number? Just looking for ideas of where to display my new number

I placed my FAA registration number prominently on the arm of my Mavic and on the feet of the landing gear on my Typhoon H using 1/4" labelmaker tape. It's neat looking, stays well in place, and lends a professional air of authenticity to my aircraft. And it doesn't take away from the aircraft's appearances, either.

SEEING those numbers has prompted some questions from onlookers around me in which I I get the chance to tell the public that we and our aircraft ARE registered with the FAA, something none of them know about or realize, and which seems to make a noticeable difference to them as to how they regard the drone I am flying. Having a prominent registration numbers makes the operation appear more official to them, which it actually is via the FAA registration. In my experience, people react positively to that.

As an aside, I also have another tape similarly displayed on each of my drones saying "If Found, Call (123) 546-7890." Who knows? If my drone goes down somewhere and I'm unable to retrieve it, it only makes sense to me to give myself an opportunity to have it returned to me, so I give them my number but not my name. Not everyone is a butthead. There are some good folks out there who would bother to take the time to call. Without providing a phone number, who's going to try to track you down via your FAA registration number if they find your downed drone?

Last edited:
that's what i figured. i paid $10 for the N number i wanted already. I'm mailing in another $5 for the registration. just curious how overtly people are displaying their N numbers

If you are hobby flying, you are registering the wrong way.

Also have on mine "Reward if Found 941-123-1234"

Ditto. The reward is a little added incentive for them to call and a small price to pay to get it back.

I had not considered that, gentlemen. Excellent idea. And a very good understanding of basic human nature to put to work for you, too. I'll be changing my labelmaker tapes on both of my drones now ASAP. Thanks for the great tip!

Reactions: ghedgepath
Remove my battery and you can see my registration number. If anybody asks, there it is. Just keeping it neat.

Reactions: lweekspors
I was trying not to have any other stickers or things on the outside at the time. Then it went out the window when I considered losing it with no number. I am working on a new label...

I don't get the reasoning behind concealing the FAA#. You are okay with people knowing your phone but not FAA #?
I have mine inside the battery compartment. It's not about concealing it for mischievous reasons, it's about aesthetics.
I don't have my phone number on mine.

Reactions: lweekspors
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake