DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TO FAA OR NOT TO FAA......?

It's not an N # If you reserved an N# on the FAA site you wasted your money. Those are for full scale aircraft only.

I have my number under the battery, too. Reward if found on the back (with phone number) and a third sticker stating the FAA number can be found under the battery. I conceal my FAA number for the same reason I don't embroider my DL number on the outside of my wallet. Call me funny, but I'm not to trusting of the 'masses' who have been brainwashed by our media to believe that any flying camera is used exclusively for criminal activity. I don't know what the implications are of someone who is able to capture my FAA number, and wishes to cause me trouble, but I'm not going to make it easy on them should they try.

Reactions: CC Rider
I don't get the reasoning behind concealing the FAA#.

It's all a bit new out there so everyone is feeling out the situation. A very possible scenario:

* I post a picture of my awesome new Mavic skin, with my personal FAA registration number showing.
* Joe Scum copies my FAA number in sharpie on his drone.
* Joe Scum then crashes his drone with my FAA number into Fort Knox and disappears.
* The FAA comes straight for me.

It's all a bit new out there so everyone is feeling out the situation. A very possible scenario:

* I post a picture of my awesome new Mavic skin, with my personal FAA registration number showing.
* Joe Scum then crashes his drone with my FAA number into Fort Knox and disappears.

This is exactly it. The drone registration numbers are meant to be concealed since you use the one your given for all your drones. They aren't like license plates. It's a link back to you so you get the fine.

I have my number under the battery, too. Reward if found on the back (with phone number) and a third sticker stating the FAA number can be found under the battery. I conceal my FAA number for the same reason I don't embroider my DL number on the outside of my wallet. Call me funny, but I'm not to trusting of the 'masses' who have been brainwashed by our media to believe that any flying camera is used exclusively for criminal activity. I don't know what the implications are of someone who is able to capture my FAA number, and wishes to cause me trouble, but I'm not going to make it easy on them should they try.

You two gentlemen raise some very good points about concealing your FAA registration numbers on your drones, offering up scenarios I had not yet considered. Thanks for the alternative points of view, which always need to be considered in order to arrive at the correct solution to a problem. None of us is simply born with the right answers in our heads. That takes time, trial and error, learning and listening and, most importantly, experience with a healthy dash of common sense thrown in the mix, too.

I'm going to give the FAA registration number situation a second thought, weighing out your well-presented words and positions with the reasons I stated earlier for displaying those numbers, and then see what conclusion I come up with. Chances are I'll be making up some new labels for my drones soon.

While I do believe having the FAA numbers prominently displayed DOES promote to everyone who is onlooking that you are officially FAA registered and have nothing to hide - especially in the event some John Q. Law momentarily sticks his or her big nose into my drone flying affairs and may be dissuaded to act further just by seeing the FAA numbers, stopping any further discussion - I now can now easily see the liability and trouble that posting the registration number for all to see could present to a drone pilot.

Being an optimist by heart, my decisions ARE influenced by my more altruistic views about Life and mankind, intrinsically believing that most people are good, want to be cooperative in society and toward their fellow man/woman, and are good natured as a rule. And I do still believe that is the case and is true of most people. But our daily headlines are proof that today's world is not filled with as many good people as it once was, so a shift in my paradigm may very well be in order.

Thanks again, fellows. I appreciate your points of view.

Reactions: erkme73
You two gentlemen raise some very good points about concealing your FAA registration numbers on your drones, offering up scenarios I had not yet considered. Thanks for the alternative points of view, which always need to be considered in order to arrive at the correct solution to a problem. None of us is simply born with the right answers in our heads. That takes time, trial and error, learning and listening and, most importantly, experience with a healthy dash of common sense thrown in the mix, too.

I'm going to give the FAA registration number situation a second thought, weighing out your well-presented words and positions with the reasons I stated earlier for displaying those numbers, and then see what conclusion I come up with. Chances are I'll be making up some new labels for my drones soon.

While I do believe having the FAA numbers prominently displayed DOES promote to everyone who is onlooking that you are officially FAA registered and have nothing to hide - especially in the event some John Q. Law momentarily sticks his or her big nose into my drone flying affairs and may be dissuaded to act further just by seeing the FAA numbers, stopping any further discussion - I now can now easily see the liability and trouble that posting the registration number for all to see could present to a drone pilot.

Being an optimist by heart, my decisions ARE influenced by my more altruistic views about Life and mankind, intrinsically believing that most people are good, want to be cooperative in society and toward their fellow man/woman, and are good natured as a rule. And I do still believe that is the case and is true of most people. But our daily headlines are proof that today's world is not filled with as many good people as it once was, so a shift in my paradigm may very well be in order.

Thanks again, fellows. I appreciate your points of view.

I wish I were so optimistic about mankind. Personally, I believe the thin veil of civility we see today would evaporate instantly the moment people felt there are no consequences for their behavior. That aside, if you print out a copy of your registration number/certificate and keep it in your fly box, if you're questioned you can quickly produce it (even while bird is still in air). I actually have my FAA number on the underside of my controller so all I have to do is flip it over to display it. Concealed from public view, but immediately accessible in case the situation warrants it.

You must register if you are flying a drone as heavy as the Mavic in the USA. It costs $5. Penalties are much higher if a very minor accident or incursion brings the attention of the FAA onto you.

It's not a tail number; you're registering the pilot not the drone. The same number can go on all your drones.

The registration number must be put somewhere on the drone that people can access and see without using any tools. Inside the Mavic battery bay is okay.

False. You are registering your aircraft. The pilot is technically not registered until you have a remote pilot certificate. The number on your certificate never changes as that is your airman number. The number and letter sequence on your birds are all different. I have 4 different birds and they all have 4 different registrations and registration numbers. Don't get caught by not registering all your aircrafts with their OWN serial numbers.

Don't get caught by not registering all your aircrafts with their OWN serial numbers.
Hobbyists don't have to register their aircraft. I guess you're flying commercially?

Hobbyists don't have to register their aircraft. I guess you're flying commercially?

Hey MS... I am seeing all sorts of answers here and since you seem to be the Guru on here and P4P forum I'll ask you. My Mavic will be here today and now after reading all this do I have to get a new FAA number for that one? Just a hobby and I already have a FAA registration for the P4P.

Thanks

It's not an N # If you reserved an N# on the FAA site you wasted your money. Those are for full scale aircraft only.

when you register, they can assign u an N number for free. or, you can pay $10 and get your own N number if it's available

False. You are registering your aircraft. The pilot is technically not registered until you have a remote pilot certificate. The number on your certificate never changes as that is your airman number. The number and letter sequence on your birds are all different. I have 4 different birds and they all have 4 different registrations and registration numbers. Don't get caught by not registering all your aircrafts with their OWN serial numbers.

It's been awhile since I registered my Mavic so I don't remember if the FAA even asked for the make, model, and serial number of my drone. If they didn't, then that means that the purpose of the registration is to track drone operators and that separate registration numbers are not needed if you own multiple drones. I googled up information on registration of multiple drones with the FAA. Couldn't find any info explicitly addressing this on the FAA site itself, but all the other websites that I've found say that you need only one registration number for all of your drones:
-----------

"A short conversation with the FAA’s helpline provided the answer. You do not need to register your replacement drone. Registering once gives you a registration number that applies to your entire fleet of drones. It is good for three years. So those that have a fleet of recreational drones are covered by one registration. The registration belongs to the pilot."

Do I need to Register My Replacement Drone with the FAA? - DRONELIFE

I don't remember if the FAA even asked for the make, model, and serial number of my drone.
They don't ask for this information when registering as a hobbyist. You only registered yourself. The FAA has no idea what type of aircraft you're flying.

Hey MS... I am seeing all sorts of answers here and since you seem to be the Guru on here and P4P forum I'll ask you. My Mavic will be here today and now after reading all this do I have to get a new FAA number for that one? Just a hobby and I already have a FAA registration for the P4P.

Thanks

I can understand your confusion, buddy, given all that has been said here. But you were on the right track, as the very knowledgeable msinger has verified. One FAA number for you and all of the drones you own. No more, no less. Easy peasy.

There are actually two different answers here depending on HOW you are flying your craft. If you are using them only for recreational purposes, you have a one time $5 fee that registers the pilot, not the crafts themselves, and this number can go on all your birds. Once you register as a hobby user, you will get one certificate with your number on it.

If you are flying commercially with a 107, each CRAFT has to be registered, and each will have a different number. Each one costs $5, and the actual details of the craft are registered. Once you register each craft, you will get separate certificates with the craft details on it, along with it's individual number.

Reactions: SteelFlyer

Frankly no one in the vacinity is going to see a small label on the outside anyway, if you think about it. If they're close enough to see it, it's because they're standing beside you and you're with the drone not flying. So here's what I do. I've printed out the "certificate" the FAA mails you with my number, FAA logo, etc. and folded it into a business card sized paper I keep in my wallet.

When someone approaches me and it looks like they're neutral or unfriendly about the drone, I'm ready to pull that out and flash it at them and say "I'm a registered UAV pilot by the FAA". Which is all true. "What's a UAV?" and you explain it, then follow that right up by telling them the FAA is solely responsible for the air and that I'm complying with their many rules. [Excluding no fly areas, etc. of course] They typically become friendlier at that point, it's quite disarming haha.

You have to register your drone with the FAA or you are in violation with the law.

It only costs $5. Come on, now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS