DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To fly, or not to fly

Toyosupraandy

Reactions
I was doing some research on one of the closed down speedways near me. Its rockingham speedway and I contacted the person in charge over rockingham dragway accross the street. He informed me of who currently owns it and his name is Bill Silas out of florida. After doing some research, long story short, he owed the banks alot of money and owed alot of taxes which caused the racetrack to close down. It keeps going up for auction but nobody buys it. Should I be able to fly there without getting in trouble. I think it would be a great oppertunity of getting some good footage of the track. This is the latest information on the track,

Rockingham Speedway for sale...again: One of racing's most well-known tracks is up for sale, six months after a public auction drew no substantial bids. Iron Horse Properties, LLC listed Rockingham Speedway on its Facebook page and several real estate websites around 5 p.m. Wednesday, according to Mark Baysek. He said the company negotiated with the property owner, BK Rock Holdings, LLC, over several weeks, signing the deal to act as the real estate agent on Wednesday. With a purchase price of $3,795,000, Baysek said the agreement is "strictly" for the real property and improvements on the roughly 250 acres. However, he added that "if someone made an enticing enough offer," he feels the owners would "entertain" the idea of including the personal property, including the track's pickup trucks. The speedway property, which includes the 1.017-mile oval track as well as a half-mile track, is valued at $6.85 million, according to Richmond County tax records. The last event at the track was a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race in April of 2013. It was also used by the Super Cup Stock Car Series for tire testing in March. A Raleigh attorney representing BK Rock Holdings, placed a $3 million credit bid during a public auction at the Richmond County Judicial Center in May. According to court documents, Billy R. Silas is the manager of the Florida-based limited liability company that purchased the promissory note from Farmers and Merchants Bank on Nov. 17, 2015. Former driver Andy Hillenburg bought the track at auction in 2007, but in late 2014 - a year and a half after the last race - Salisbury-based Farmers and Merchants Bank began foreclosure proceedings against him and Silas. The track opened in 1965 as North Carolina Motor Speedway and was a stock car staple for nearly 40 years. The final Sprint Cup Series race at the speedway was Feb. 22, 2004, when Matt Kenseth edged Kasey Kahne at the line by .01 of a second in one of the closest finishes in NASCAR history.(Richmond County Daily Journal)(11-18-2016)

I would think as long as your not taking off or landing from private property, you should be fine. Airspace is open

Of course, it's always proper to ask, but if your having trouble getting ahold of the owner...
That's what I was worried about, by the way it looks, I don't know whether the bank owns it or Bill Silas. I know it keeps going up for auction but nobody buys it. I just think its a good opportunity to get some good video but at the same time, I don't want to cause any trouble.

Just to let yall know for future reference, I sent an e-mail to the FAA asking about me flying over the speedway, they say "as long as you are operating within the requirements of part 107 and are not operating in controlled and/or airspace without authorization, then i can fly there"

Reactions: Qazwix
You might want to check out this page for NC Drone laws.
https://www.buildadronebiz.com/state-drone-laws/north-carolina/

There is a law that states "Prohibits launching of a UAV from State or private property without consent. Local governments have authority to regulate the use of local governmental property in the launch and recovery of drones so make sure to check for what your area allows."

Reactions: Toyosupraandy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada