To update or Not to update - firmware

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by TraP, Nov 11, 2016.

1. TraP

TraP Member

Hi everyone, the Mavic is my first ever drone of any kind. Got this beast on the 1st of November and have been flying it pretty regularly (with 3 batteries) without any issues at all. Over the past 2 weeks I've been flying the Mavic all over New Zealand (high mountains, extremely strong winds, beaches, narrow spaces) and I haven't had any problems at all (I was quite worried initially especially as a first time drone user - about some of the faulty units some people had experienced). My question is since things are running super smooth right now even in extreme conditions should I still update to the new firmware that was released? I've been pushing it back because I'm worried any new firmware updates (at least till there's consensus that the firmware works well) might start creating problems to the currently smoothly running machine. Thanks for any advice!

2. Butterpuff 6

Butterpuff 6 Well-Known Member

There's never a guarantee that an update won't cause a problem, but as new as the Mavic is, I think you're more likely to experience a problem if you don't update. I would update.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

3. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

Definitely update now. Many have had serious issues AFTER 20+ flawless flights.

Michaelangelo likes this.
  4. sonof40

sonof40 Active Member

I would NOT update. IIAB,DFI (if it ain't broke...) Monitor other's results over time.

5. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

As with any other DJI firmware updates, I recommend they be installed if no bugs have been mentioned in online forums within a few days of the firmware release. When it comes to flying expensive aircraft like these, the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy could turn out to be a very costly mistake. Then again, if your aircraft is still under warranty, DJI would most likely cover damage caused by firmware bugs. That could be another hassle you don't want to endure though.

Michaelangelo and sonof40 like this.
  6. flyNfrank

flyNfrank Active Member

Give it at least 10-14 days before even considering updating. During that time, let others install the updates and see what effects come about if any. Keep in mind just because one guy updates their aircraft, makes a flight and has no trouble, doesn't mean he wont have trouble on his next flight or the one after. This is why is good to NOT get in a hurry to do any updates.

If DJI did a better job at explaining the details on each update, then maybe we would not need to take such precautions to updating.

sonof40 likes this.
  7. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

I'd have to disagree. When people are having serious flight issues with the last firmware, a lot of times after many successful flights, I feel you should definitely update the firmware. In the future, when there are no serious issues, then by all means wait it out.

Michaelangelo likes this.
  8. garaobriain

garaobriain Active Member

I think you can also 'downgrade' firmware so that if there does happen to be a problem, you can then revert back to previous firmware.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

9. F6Rider

F6Rider Well-Known Member

I updated my P3 every time a new firmware was released, or within days, never had one issue with the process or the results, and this was a pre-release model. Sometimes I wondered what people did to bollix up their update as I never seemed to have issue. I will do the same with my Mavic, DJI does not release updates for fun, and I wonder if you had a crash due to an outdated firmware if it would be covered, or would they say you were negligent for not updating?

10. msinger

Approved Vendor

Right -- you can downgrade via DJI GO/Assistant 2 and do a factory reset with DJI Assistant 2. So, there's really nothing to lose when upgrading to a firmware that is known to be stable.

garaobriain likes this.
  11. msinger

Approved Vendor

I've never seen DJI do this. They don't mention anything like this in their warranty either.

12. flyNfrank

flyNfrank Active Member

Not everyone was as lucky as you were. 1.2.6 and 1.5.0 played havoc on a lot of unfortunate P3 owners. My problems with updates are when numerous changes are made with no info given.

13. F6Rider

F6Rider Well-Known Member

Yes, DJI had a bad habit of making a lot of changes and then only listing the top 5 in their release notes, leaving you too wonder what else they changed.

14. flyNfrank

flyNfrank Active Member

You received the top 5 firmware changes in each update?

I worked for DJI as a product and firmware beta tester up until a year ago, and we never knew what was being addressed. Back then we were given a update link and was expected to fill out a report per any issues. Maybe they were different with the China teams, but not ours.

15. stealle

stealle Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm usually a don't try to fix it if it ain't broken kinda guy when it comes to firmware but I immediately updated before my first flight based on the known issues on the release firmware. My first 2 flights have been successful. So far so good.

Are there any existing problems with the current firmware? I'm only aware of speed coming across as km/hr when it should be mph. And, the bottom USB port not working if you have a cable plugged into the side port. Are there still flight control issues with this firmware?

16. m0j0

m0j0 Well-Known Member

I update every single time I am prompted.

17. Tony Perry

Tony Perry Active Member

In the case of these first updates, I definitely would. It fixes some potentially crash causing bugs.

Over time they generally become more about feature/perfomance enhancement though. It's always good to read the release notes for each update to see if it fixes something.

18. Mako79

Mako79 Well-Known Member

We are all essentially beta testers.
    Please be mindful that DJI has a habit of not admitting to fault. And be mindful that DJI sneak in unwanted changes like the Geo system.

Anyways, my bird is on my table and i'm reading about the firmware as we speak. From previous experience, I'd say wait for others and see if the updates are stable.
    I usually read on the updates and see if its beneficial or not. Usually by the third update, everything should be hunky-dory. Any updates after that normally introduces new restrictions etc.

19. flyNfrank

flyNfrank Active Member

Exactly....post #6.

20. alan1975

alan1975 Member

Cant update firmware

My MacBook Air won't allow me to update. Starts the process and then says "update failed".
    Any idea why that is?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots