DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Today I lost my Drone. I'm not sure what happend. I changed 1 setting and that's the return to home.

Frogster

Reactions
Today was a lovely day until I lost my drone. I think this happend because I changed one setting and that setting was I switched the return to home at point of take off to follow the control. When I pressed the return to home button it never came back. Has any one experienced this.

Today was a lovely day until I lost my drone. I think this happend because I changed one setting and that setting was I switched the return to home at point of take off to follow the control. When I pressed the return to home button it never came back. Has any one experienced this.

Hit the "Find my drone" option the first screen of DJI Go 4 and go find it. Did you look for it?

What did you change? There's only 2 option for Return to Home button. Either hover in place, or go home. If you set "Hover in place" then go out to the point where it was when you lost contact. If should land where is was.

Not personally but a few of the early "Mavic Crash" videos on YouTube involved setting the remote as the home point. It seemed that it was more likely to happen if changed after take off.

Hit the "Find my drone" option the first screen of DJI Go 4 and go find it. Did you look for it?

What did you change? There's only 2 option for Return to Home button. Either hover in place, or go home. If you set "Hover in place" then go out to the point where it was when you lost contact. If should land where is was.

Hi cybernate.
My drone dropped in the sea. I thought that setting was to follow my control.
I'm sorry to hear that! There is an option to "Return to Controller" RTC, maybe that's what you're referring to? That option only works if you have a phone or tablet device connected to the controller that has a GPS chipset.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I lost my first Mavic as well. You can buy the Mavic without the controller for $749. You can pair it to your controller when it arrives. Comes with a battery.

It was all connected to my phone. It was all working fine .Yes Return to controller. It seemed like I had no control over the drone when I pressed the RTH button. I'm sure I set the hight to 30m but the drone went up too 122.m. my RTH hight was set at 30m.

I'm sorry to ear you lost yours.

Reactions: Soft7 and pai
So to set RC as home causes my bird to fell off? Why? I really don't understand that option as well...

Reactions: Frogster
I lost mine to the ocean yesterday. Soooo sad. The Mavic was flying back to me between trees overhanging the ocean on a 75 foot cliff in one of the most beautiful coastal areas in the US, Neah Bay WA. A nice gust of wind came, blew it about 4 feet to the left, right into a tree and plop! right into the ocean. I also have a Phantom 4 and have never seen it get blown that far off course, but it was a good gust of wind out of nowhere. I like my phantom better, just seems more solid, but still, loosing a Mavic, what a drag! It would have been less of an impact if I could have retrieved the 20 minutes of video, but at least I have the pics I took. Sorry we both lost a couple of good drones.

So to set RC as home causes my bird to fell off? Why? I really don't understand that option as well...
I lost mine to the ocean yesterday. Soooo sad. The Mavic was flying back to me between trees overhanging the ocean on a 75 foot cliff in one of the most beautiful coastal areas in the US, Neah Bay WA. A nice gust of wind came, blew it about 4 feet to the left, right into a tree and plop! right into the ocean. I also have a Phantom 4 and have never seen it get blown that far off course, but it was a good gust of wind out of nowhere. I like my phantom better, just seems more solid, but still, loosing a Mavic, what a drag! It would have been less of an impact if I could have retrieved the 20 minutes of video, but at least I have the pics I took. Sorry we both lost a couple of good drones.
I'm really am gutted. It totally sucks.

Although I haven't used it I believe if you set RC as RTH then you have to keep resetting every time you change position/ location. And make sure it is updated correctly, it doesn't automatically update if you move away from the initial point.

Hey guys what would be the right time to change the homepoint when you are on a moving boat? When it hovers from where it took off? Or when it is away from you ??

Reactions: Tomdog and Frogster
Sucks hey. have you tried find my phantom??? Its in the GO app and should point you out where the drone was last.

Anyways..
If your smartphone/device is gps inaccurate, it may set a home point in another suburb, Or if your device is like an non-cellular ipad, it may triangulate using the mobile towers or wifi spots.

And DJI should look at restoring the DYNAMIC RTH function. This was in the original DJI Pilot app (the same app used for the original P3A/P and inspire 1). Dynamic Home function can still be seen in the primitive P2 VisionPlus. It has been tried and tested and its no different to how 'follow me' works (not active track). Dynamic RTH meant your GPS enabled device would ping the craft at all times. The craft would know where you are at all times in the case you wanted to walk/run/boat/drive and fly. Awesome function if you are getting chased by the local gangster or the random mangy dog at the park.

Hey guys what would be the right time to change the homepoint when you are on a moving boat? When it hovers from where it took off? Or when it is away from you ??
Have to always update your home point. If you are moving it requires constant update. Otherwise will land in the sea where you were last.

Have to always update your home point. If you are moving it requires constant update. Otherwise will land in the sea where you were last.
I was walking along the beach I didn't realise you had too keep updating your home point. The DJI tutorial never mentioned you need to keep updating your RTH to follow your controller.

Not sure if it's in the manual, I discovered it after extensive reading on the forum and watching YouTube videos.
Pays to do a trial run somewhere safe before using the automated features. When they work it's great but if not set up right will more often than not bite you.
Sorry for your loss. :(

I was walking along the beach I didn't realise you had too keep updating your home point. The DJI tutorial never mentioned you need to keep updating your RTH to follow your controller.

Your home point is shown on the map. it should be immediately obvious that it is not following you as you move...

You are always advised to check the home point to make sure it is where you think it should be.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
The Mavic pro has both a follow me mode and a dynamic home point mode. They are both based on the gps signal of your flight device. You can find these settings under the main controller app in the DJI GO4 app. I was never able to achieve a good enough signal on either of my flight devices, iPad mini4 and a 7plus. I just ended up buying an external GPS dongle that transmits an excellent gps signal via bluetooth, no need to download any apps just simply pair it with you device and you're ready to go.
Amazon.com: Garmin GLO Portable GPS and GLONASS Receiver with Vehicle Power Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here is a vid that explains the the 2 different home point settings.

Hope this helps you guys and happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov