DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TOTAL Newbie in drone / I LOVE My MAVIC / 2 questions

KONY

Reactions
Hello ,

I live in Hong Kong and pre ordered my MAVIC 28/9 from HK DJI Flagship store and it arrived one week ago , I couldn't be happier :)

i love flying that thing even though i don't practice every day (when i'm back from work it's already night at home and i work in central HK where you cannot fly drones)

Obviously, like everyone else i'm pretty scared to crash it but i'm trying to be careful (not easy to respect all rules with such beast in your hands )

I have 2 questions though :

1) I live in a highrise building (probably 100 meters high) and today i decided to take off from my building rooftop...but regarding the height mentionned on the DJI GO app, and given all the GPS coordonates and smart calculations, i was expecting it to mention the real height (like above ground) but it actually was only stating the height the MAVIC took off from...so even at +100 meters it was just mentionning the heights from the take off location and not the ground

I guess this is a normal behaviour...But then let's say you put a maximum flying height of 150 meters in the settings, then i guess you would be actually flying 250 m

I think some people might be surprised with that no ? (let's say someone put 300 meters maxyimum flying height and take off from a 200 Meters high building? he/she might technically be able to fly + 500 meters above ground !!!

2) question 2 : i noticed all my videos taken since one week are without sound, i still need to check in the settings but since i saw many MAVIC videos with sound on utube i guess "muted sound" is a default setting out of the box ?

Reactions: Chorusbluck
To answer your questions:
  • The Mavic does not know how high it is above the ground. It thinks the takeoff point is 0 meters. If you have the maximum altitude set to 150 meters, that'll mean the Mavic could fly up to 150 meters above the takeoff point.

• The Mavic does not have a microphone, so there is no way for it to record sound. You could edit your videos later and add sound.

Reactions: Chorusbluck
thank you msinger, you're on point as always ;)

But how come i've see countless MAVIC videos on youtube with people having the actual sound of the flight ? (or maybe i got confused by the recording of their other equipment played over the MAVIC Flight ...might be that

You're not confused at all. It's the magic of video editing ;)

It's impossible to record sound with the Mavic video. Even if you could do it, all you would hear is the props spinning. That wouldn't be too exciting.

ah ah , i got it :)

Thank you again

On the Litchi app (which is not yet available for Mavic, but should be soon) you can record what is on the screen with sound recorded from your phone or tablet's mic. This will give you the sound as you hear it from the ground and you can also narrate your flight. You can then edit this sound into your video from your Mavic.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: DustinB0357
You don't even need to use the Litchi App as all phones and tablets have a sound recorder you could run that and then edit it to your videos.

Hey I'm from HK as well, but I'm still waiting for my Mavic. Where are you flying yours?

Thanx Kinsey for the tip, indeed that could be an option ;)

Rflush did u buy it from DJI Causeway bay store ?

This information found on the Civil Aviation Authorithy might be helpful for you. as for me i'm flying around Aberdeen.
-----------------------------
Where you cannot fly

a) Model aircraft shall not be flown over populated and congested areas.

b) Model aircraft shall not be flown over, or close to, any object, installation or facility that would present a risk to safety in the event of damage due to any impact by the model aircraft, or in such a manner that the good order and discipline and control thereof may be or may likely be jeopardized.

c) Model aircraft shall not be flown in the vicinity of an airport and aircraft approach and take-off paths. These areas include:

(i) Hong Kong International Airport;

(ii) North Lantau coastal area;

(iii) coastal areas from Tai Lam Chung to Tsuen Wan and Tsing Yi Island;

(iv) Victoria Harbour and its coastal areas; and

(v) Shek Kong area.

and they advertise a few hotspot safe to fly :

Model aircraft flying hot spots

The following places are frequently visited by the public for model aircraft flying:

(i) Tai Tong in Yuen Long;

(ii) Nam Sang Wai in Yuen Long;

(iii) Tate's Cairn in Sha Tin;

(iv) Tseung Kwan O in Sai Kung; and

(v) Clear Water Bay Peninsula area in Sai Kung.*

* The hilltops at Clear Water Bay Peninsula are within the passages of air traffic used by light aircraft and helicopters. The operator of model aircraft should therefore ensure the safe passage of such air traffic, especially in poor weather conditions when pilots are forced to fly much lower than usual.

Thanx Kinsey for the tip, indeed that could be an option ;)

Rflush did u buy it from DJI Causeway bay store ?

This information found on the Civil Aviation Authorithy might be helpful for you. as for me i'm flying around Aberdeen.
-----------------------------
Where you cannot fly

a) Model aircraft shall not be flown over populated and congested areas.

b) Model aircraft shall not be flown over, or close to, any object, installation or facility that would present a risk to safety in the event of damage due to any impact by the model aircraft, or in such a manner that the good order and discipline and control thereof may be or may likely be jeopardized.

c) Model aircraft shall not be flown in the vicinity of an airport and aircraft approach and take-off paths. These areas include:

(i) Hong Kong International Airport;

(ii) North Lantau coastal area;

(iii) coastal areas from Tai Lam Chung to Tsuen Wan and Tsing Yi Island;

(iv) Victoria Harbour and its coastal areas; and

(v) Shek Kong area.

and they advertise a few hotspot safe to fly :

Model aircraft flying hot spots

The following places are frequently visited by the public for model aircraft flying:

(i) Tai Tong in Yuen Long;

(ii) Nam Sang Wai in Yuen Long;

(iii) Tate's Cairn in Sha Tin;

(iv) Tseung Kwan O in Sai Kung; and

(v) Clear Water Bay Peninsula area in Sai Kung.*

* The hilltops at Clear Water Bay Peninsula are within the passages of air traffic used by light aircraft and helicopters. The operator of model aircraft should therefore ensure the safe passage of such air traffic, especially in poor weather conditions when pilots are forced to fly much lower than usual.
Oh I know the rules, I'm just curious on where do you fly. I like going to kai tak area or sai kung

Ok cool I'll check those out..still new in HK so don't know many places yet ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929