DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total "newby" with stupid questions !!

Malfunction

Reactions
Hi all,
I bought a mavic yesterday and am totally overwhelmed with all the settings and features.
I did manage a quick flight yesterday but had problems with the video, It took several presses on the record button on my phone to get it recording and the same to stop recording, the record button on the r/c didn't do anything, neither did the camera shutter !! also I don't know if i pressed a button or what but the view went into portrait mode. I had to exit dji go and relaunch it to get back to normal.
I really need to go through all settings and try and sort it but the vids iv'e seen on youtube seem to be for a different version of dji go4 than i have so a bit hard to follow.
Is there a run through of settings i can use to get up and running properly?
I understand mavic and controller need to be powered on for changing settings, does the gimble protection clip have to be taken off ?.
I probably have a load more questions to ask when my head stops spinning !!
Forgot to say i'm using android if that matters.

Thank you.
Mal

Manual will answer most questions. You should print it and read it more than once.

Reactions: Blades
The gimbal cover has to be removed every time u start the drone. If you do not remove it you will overload the motor that drives it.

i am not an android user but both RC and App buttons work fine for me.

most of the you tube videos still retain some information that is good for settings and setting up the App but settings like RTH and obstacle avoidance etc are very personal choices but also very important ones.

find an hour each day for a couple of days sit your mavic on the floor connect everything up and just explore each settings section slowly

then whatever you are unsure off search on here for a thread or if you cant find one post the specific query you have.

Let everyione know what firmware phone and app version you are using.

thats exactly what i did gary. i found the manual pretty useless and dont recommend it for the dji go app cos its not up to date and ends up becoming even more confusing. it was for me anyway. i used a full battery pack every couple of days to hover around and practice the app settings to know my way around.

Reactions: Gary cato
Take it out and get used to just flying around safely.
Learn those controls first.
Then learn the various modes it can fly in.
After that start looking at the video photo parts.
There is much to learn to get the most out of this and you will quickly head for disaster if you try to do everything at once.

Reactions: Chris.K
Always take the gimbal cover off when powering on the drone. Billy Kyle is a good youtuber along with Chris Rollins, ed ricker I didn't real use the Manual I just watched tons of YouTube videos of do and donts and search here all the time read the horror stories on here too, most of the regulars narrow down what happened so you can prevent it next time. My two cents for what it's worth

Last edited:
Reading the manual is like cheating. Watch youtubes like everyone else, and start with small trips where you keep the drone well within sight.

And, BTW - don't jump the gun. You should let your readers decide if your question is stupid or not. Don't worry, we'll let you know :), and yours definitely is not.

Thanks for all the helpful replies,
Iv'e just done a couple of quick flights after updating firmware on mavic and rc to latest versions.
First flight was using my Vodaphone smart ultra 6 running android 5.1,1 in airplane mode and the video feed from the mavic was awful even at close range (very laggy and breaking up) Playing back the video on my pc is perfect, Also the video record button started recording ok but wouldn't stop it after landing.
Second flight was using an old iphone 5 and it seems everything was perfect. Video feed was stable (I only flew 300m at 50m high) but it looks promising.
Thing is the screen on the iphone is a bit small so do i buy a reconditioned iphone 6 or an ipad mini or wait for an update that might cure the problem or do i try litchi.
I thought i'd finished spending when i bought the mavic. :-(
Really think DJI should be more transparent with android problems. I thought i'd bought a RTF drone that would work on my android phone as advertised.
Having said that it's bloody brilliant !!!

Thanks for all the helpful replies,
Iv'e just done a couple of quick flights after updating firmware on mavic and rc to latest versions.
First flight was using my Vodaphone smart ultra 6 running android 5.1,1 in airplane mode and the video feed from the mavic was awful even at close range (very laggy and breaking up) Playing back the video on my pc is perfect, Also the video record button started recording ok but wouldn't stop it after landing.
Second flight was using an old iphone 5 and it seems everything was perfect. Video feed was stable (I only flew 300m at 50m high) but it looks promising.
Thing is the screen on the iphone is a bit small so do i buy a reconditioned iphone 6 or an ipad mini or wait for an update that might cure the problem or do i try litchi.
I thought i'd finished spending when i bought the mavic. :-(
Really think DJI should be more transparent with android problems. I thought i'd bought a RTF drone that would work on my android phone as advertised.
Having said that it's bloody brilliant !!!
DJI have never got it right and you will never stop spending money

It starts with little stuff spare props etc then you end up at ipad minis and in my case an iphone 7 plus with an iphone 6s for when i have no time to recharge phone, then an extra battery or two coz three is never enough if you are travelling and doing long range and not 5 mins up and shoot stuff.

After that you look at what you have for editing which in my case is a 5 year old laptop that cant handle anything. then its SD cards.

Then if you are like me you add a camera for some groundwork etc.

Nope it will empty your pocket rapidly

Reactions: Malfunction
DJI have never got it right and you will never stop spending money

It starts with little stuff spare props etc then you end up at ipad minis and in my case an iphone 7 plus with an iphone 6s for when i have no time to recharge phone, then an extra battery or two coz three is never enough if you are travelling and doing long range and not 5 mins up and shoot stuff.

After that you look at what you have for editing which in my case is a 5 year old laptop that cant handle anything. then its SD cards.

Then if you are like me you add a camera for some groundwork etc.

Nope it will empty your pocket rapidly

Problem is my pockets already empty :-(
If the missis knew what i paid for the mavic my problem would be solved because i couldn't use it from an hospital bed ;-)
Iv'e just been looking at refurbished iphones and ipad minis, It seems £200 would get one just not sure which to go for. Nobody seems to mention the original ipad mini which iv'e seen for half the price, are they just not powerful enough?

You ne
Problem is my pockets already empty :-(
If the missis knew what i paid for the mavic my problem would be solved because i couldn't use it from an hospital bed ;-)
Iv'e just been looking at refurbished iphones and ipad minis, It seems £200 would get one just not sure which to go for. Nobody seems to mention the original ipad mini which iv'e seen for half the price, are they just not powerful enough?
you need one with LTE or phone signal but you dont need to use the phone part. It just uses the GPS part of the phone or tablet which is why everyone flies in airplane mode (well not everyone).

get whatever suits your pocket

As for the wife mmm i got two Mavics and now a macbook pro is on its way and a new camera with an extra camera body as well

When those turn up i am dead

i will not leave you it in my will as it will be smashed to bits along with my body :)

If you live near London PM me if you around my way i will take you a couple of places i know (west London)

Reactions: Malfunction
NVidia Shield is best tablet for Mavic and half the price of Apple products. Check YouTube videos to learn settings and flying modes.
Check out Toms Tech videos. Good in depth teaching tools

I don't know about you, but I was going to get a Nvidea K1 for my "Savvy Mavvy", I held off just a wee bit to long. Seems they have doubled in price over the period of a few weeks. I went shopping at local Best Buy, they said they could get one in two day, @ $275.00usd. I said I'll go interwebs, save a bit. But noooo, evidently I ordered from a "not-so-well-intended" seller, had 1 for 250.00 usd, to shorten the story, got my money back from Amazon, and when I went to look for another purchase point, the prices have almost doubled!

So, I use my LG 10" tabby for the Mavvy, works great (on Marshmallow), and never had a lockup, or freeze. I just cache the maps from google, and fly zero cell, and zero wifi.

Try turning off video caching I've heard that can help stability on Android in some cases.

Hi all,
I bought a mavic yesterday and am totally overwhelmed with all the settings and features.
I did manage a quick flight yesterday but had problems with the video, It took several presses on the record button on my phone to get it recording and the same to stop recording, the record button on the r/c didn't do anything, neither did the camera shutter !! also I don't know if i pressed a button or what but the view went into portrait mode. I had to exit dji go and relaunch it to get back to normal.
I really need to go through all settings and try and sort it but the vids iv'e seen on youtube seem to be for a different version of dji go4 than i have so a bit hard to follow.
Is there a run through of settings i can use to get up and running properly?
I understand mavic and controller need to be powered on for changing settings, does the gimble protection clip have to be taken off ?.
I probably have a load more questions to ask when my head stops spinning !!
Forgot to say i'm using android if that matters.

Thank you.
Mal
Well. Any drone takes a while to get used to it. However the DJI drones are a bit more than a toy and I class them as a superb flying camera with all the necessary options for flying and taking pictures. I would suggest you step back from your new toy and learn as much as you can. The use of YouTube is a great way to learn most things about your new Mavic and most other DJI drones.

Sorry not to be more positive but I went through the same frustrations when I bought a Phantom 3 Pro last year. It is a much to expensive drone to play with so sit at your computer learning with the drone by your side and then next day, fly what you have learned. Good luck

You ne

you need one with LTE or phone signal but you dont need to use the phone part. It just uses the GPS part of the phone or tablet which is why everyone flies in airplane mode (well not everyone).

get whatever suits your pocket

As for the wife mmm i got two Mavics and now a macbook pro is on its way and a new camera with an extra camera body as well

When those turn up i am dead

i will not leave you it in my will as it will be smashed to bits along with my body :)

If you live near London PM me if you around my way i will take you a couple of places i know (west London)

he doesn't necessarily need one with LTE or phone signal.....he can get an ipad WITHOUT LTE and it still work just fine, just without a couple of features....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest