DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trackers - Beware!

Mr.H

Reactions
There are several trackers out there that use GSM. Examples are the Trackimo and the tk102 which I was using. While GSM is still used in most of the world it has limited use in the US. ATT is in the process of shutting down their GSM network and has already done so in my area (Dallas, Tx. ). My TK102 no longer works here on ATT.

The only carrier left in the US that uses GSM is T-Mobile and I understand they will turn off their GSM network in the near future.

So I wouldn't buy a TK-102 or the Trackimo unless you need a paperweight.

Looks like the Marco Polo type tracker may be the only option left for us in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

All 2G networks are finally sunsetting after a few delays. You will want to buy a 3G tracker, be sure not to get a 2G like Mr.H says.

(Welcome Mr.H)

Reactions: RogCIncy
Is the marco polo work everywhere in the world? I know that it doesn't go with a gsm network but i was just wondering how it that work? Is it a gos tracker? How far can detect? Can someone explain well how it works?

Sent from my SM-G930P using MavicPilots mobile app

Pocket finder does look good. Att has sent out free 3G phones to it 2g users. I want another tracker that will use the SIM card. I like the att Gophone model. The petfinder is $12 a month weather you use it or not from what I can tell.

Just looked and the new Trackimo is 3G anyhow so this is moot for anyone buying one now. Just make sure to buy the 3G version.

Mine's the old 2G and works fine too though where I live.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

does that work with 3g providers like ATT? I like that is waterproof and cheap but my trackimo 3g only cost $5 a month and first year is free.

does that work with 3g providers like ATT? I like that is waterproof and cheap but my trackimo 3g only cost $5 a month and first year is free.
From the website is does use the AT&T network if using a H20 3-in-1 sim card. (pay as you go) and this is a 4G sim card.

Hmm, nothing there says it actually uses 3G. If it doesn't explicitely say it there's 99% chance it's 2G.

Basically nothing except the big brands will have 3G for now as there are no cheap modules around the Chinese can integrate yet.
The recommended SIM card from H2O is a 4G card on the AT&T network here in the US.

Card is irrelevant. A 2G phone/terminal will work with any card, just without using those capabilities. They recommend what's available...

The letter I received from Att specifically says it's the GSM network that is shutting down. Go look at this ATT link. Their requirements for 3G service is WCDMA. No more GSM devices will work. At least that is the way I understand. Read this notice:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1084805

3G W-CDMA and 4G LTE are both built on top of the GSM standard. So GSM itself isn't shutting down, just the 2G portion. This doesn't change the fact that 2G devices will no longer work if your only GSM network is AT&T.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest