Trackimo Drone GPS Tracker with Drone attachment kit

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by PressMan, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM.

1. PressMan

PressMan Member

Dear Friends on Mavic Forum,
    I am a newbie here may I say great forum.
    Can I ask if you have any experience of using the above, how accurate is Trackimo in case of lost drone.
    Also how easy would it be to fit on the Mavic.
    Is this item worth the price. I am in Ireland. Europe so perhaps purchasing in the UK stockist.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.
    PressMan

2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

I don't think that you need this as the controller has a GPS tracker as long as the Mavic is still powered up.

3. Andersen Ross Productions

Trackimo is a solid piece of gear. We use one with our Inspire X5R, the big worry with GPS is your battery might die before you find her.

4. PressMan

PressMan Member

Thank you,

5. PressMan

PressMan Member

I see what you mean, thank you.

6. Richard in Ky

Richard in Ky Member

Yes it is very small and unlike the others that use GPS and you have a monthly fee it doesn't require any outside service that may not be available where it goes down and at ground level. I just suggest you research both types and both are common for use on other drones.

7. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

The Mavic itself contains a GPS receiver (I think that's what you mean). That'll be worthless though after the downlink disconnects. And, if the remote controller disconnects and your Mavic does not return home, then you're only hope will be an external GPS receiver mounted to your Mavic.

8. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

No, you can track it down with the controller. Casey Neisat demonstrated it on one of his vids. It works as long as the Mavic is still powered.

9. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

I do enjoy watching Casey Neistat's videos, but he's certainly no Mavic pro. If the downlink and remote controller disconnect and your Mavic continues to fly, you're not going to know exactly where to look for it.

10. PressMan

PressMan Member

Thanks Richard in Ky

11. MavicKhan

MavicKhan Well-Known Member

An independent and autonomous source for location is always an useful add-on.

I might not have my Mavic yet but I already purchased a tracker (NANO TK102) that works great (I already tested it) :)

The Trackimo TR100 has a weight of 4.2oz/119gr. The Mavic weight is 734gr. I don't think it is a good idea to piggy-back something that has more than 15% of the carrier's mass.

Mine has a 50gr weight and I am already worried about aerodynamic and load performance, while also scratching my head about where I will put it

MK

12. PressMan

PressMan Member

Sounds Fantastic MK, thank you for the information much appreciated.
    Hope the Mavic arrives before the Holiday, have fun,

13. JtrJr

JtrJr Active Member

Pressman,

I've got the Marco Polo tracker on 5 of my birds. I did some real tests and actually had to use it to track down a lost bird on one occasion and it performs very well.

Placement of any tracker on the Mavic is going to be the issue. I'm currently using some re-close strips to mount it to the back side of the battery. I don't really like it thais way but I'm concerned about all of the sensors on the Mavic and didn't want to place it anywhere else on the bird until I'm certain the bird is functioning properly. The only hassle is swapping it from battery to battery.

Take note, I read somewhere, in the thousands of posts that I've read (I believe it was posted by DJI Ken) that the compass needs to be recalibrated with the tracker on and if you remove it you have to recalibrate with it off. This applies to any tracking device.

Good luck,

Jerry