DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracking lost mavic down

Ksd24

Reactions
Hi guys need your help finding my Mavic :(. Was flying it up in Mt. Kosciuzko mountains and at one point the wind became too strong dragged it out towards another ridge. Lost connection 1-3 times trying to get it home even in sport mode (maybe should have increased the height). Landed or crashed when at 10% on a ridge (it wouldn't land at 20% wanted to return home) need to retrieve for dji refresh care should be in one piece as last image was of it descending on a flat shrub.

Ive uploaded the files onto healthy drones and Log viewer so i can know the exact coordinates to look around when i go back (6 hours away from sydney) its abit confusing and what equipment (rc remote, phone, gps locator) would be need out there to help find it? KML/CSV? It looks like a 4.3km walk from where I camped that night and had walked 2.5 hours after the loss couldn't locate it. Is there a way to accurately locate the drone even when it has no battery like a metal detector when you're in its vicinity. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-10_[08-31-58].txt
    559.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-10_[08-38-15].txt
    55.5 KB · Views: 6
Ksd24 sorrry to hear what happened.
if you have the data in healthy drones then look at the last Lat and Longitude and then punch them into google earth app on your phone. Stick a pin marker on it and then follow the phone GPS to the marker.

Also please provide a link to the healthy drone upload.

BTW there is no way to track it once the battery has died. That time has already past, sorry.
You can buy a Marco Polo Tracker for aircraft. It has a 10 day battery life and can be detected from 2 miles away,

Rob

Last edited:
Check the first map, if that lines up with the flight you took then the Mavic should be near the location of the second map.

Map3.jpg

Map4.jpg
Click on them to Zoom.

Wish I could look at this more but it's late and I have to get up early.

Good luck
Rob

Thanks mate all the help is appreciated. Its about 600-700kms away from Sydney so when I go this week or next (sooner the better as it started raining there) I need to be sure where it is and search the surrounding area, just hoping it landed softly as I was trying to land it on the last bit of battery it had to reach that ridge the winds are way too powerful up that high, maybe should have flow higher than straight lol. What equipment would I need to locate it once im in its vicinity as the drone battery would be dead can the rc and go app locate it? A gps tracker of somekind than just offline google maps on my phone?

So @Robbyg is providing the similar location I am. I hover looked at the last log since it started to take and then it landed again with critical battery.

36°22'42.86"S and 148°17'34.59"E. That drone is at an elevation of 1994 m. That's pretty high.

Mountain flying is pretty dangerous, but the winds your drone were fighting were unbearable. Blowing at 47.8 km/h, it's no wonder the drone was struggling. You need to cancel RTH switch on sport mode and bring it back and drop altitude as soon as possible to get out of the wind.

Sure is! Its highest elevation points in Australia. Very mountainous the day I lost spent 2.5 hours climbing different ridges where I thought the last images from the drone came from. How would I go about locating it when im there? No mobile signal out that way. Thanks mate!

Thanks mate all the help is appreciated. Its about 600-700kms away from Sydney so when I go this week or next (sooner the better as it started raining there) I need to be sure where it is and search the surrounding area, just hoping it landed softly as I was trying to land it on the last bit of battery it had to reach that ridge the winds are way too powerful up that high, maybe should have flow higher than straight lol. What equipment would I need to locate it once im in its vicinity as the drone battery would be dead can the rc and go app locate it? A gps tracker of somekind than just offline google maps on my phone?
Sorry, but if you don't have a tracker attached, then all you can do is rely on the information we gave you and feed that into your phone.

Sure is! Its highest elevation points in Australia. Very mountainous the day I lost spent 2.5 hours climbing different ridges where I thought the last images from the drone came from. How would I go about locating it when im there? No mobile signal out that way. Thanks mate!
Best thing to do is mark the location on a map app and head there until your position dot overlaps with the pin. If you are able to cache the maps, that will help. That's all you can do if you don't have a tracker attached to a drone.

I think this drone will be easy to find, but getting to the location is going to be one of the hardest rescues ever. If it was me I would probably find two young climbers and see if I could pay them for a one day trip of "Fun"

I guess Ksd24 must be an experienced climber already so he is ok, but for me, crossing some sections of that ridge are just not going to happen.

Rob

Rob yes mate, I think might have already walked past that area, climbed 3-4 ridges and searched those areas its difficult to make out a drone as the rocks and shrub are all dark in nature (grey) so locating the small drone will be the bigger task than anything since its going to be wet and flat...hoping no wildlife took it (only saw small birds up there before).

Best thing to do is mark the location on a map app and head there until your position dot overlaps with the pin. If you are able to cache the maps, that will help. That's all you can do if you don't have a tracker attached to a drone.

Just clarifying what Cyber means by caching the maps. Open your map application like Google Maps and then search for the Latitude and Longitude by placing that information in the search bar. The area that corresponds to where your drone "most probably" landed will be displayed and this map data will be downloaded and "cached" to your device. Best to do this when you have a higher bandwidth connection (WiFi) . Then when you get out to the location since you have already cached the map data it will be much quicker to display.

Its also helpful to zoom out and zoom back into the location and move around the map data so it caches surrounding area.

Rob yes mate, I think might have already walked past that area, climbed 3-4 ridges and searched those areas its difficult to make out a drone as the rocks and shrub are all dark in nature (grey) so locating the small drone will be the bigger task than anything since its going to be wet and flat...hoping no wildlife took it (only saw small birds up there before).

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it did not drop down off the ridge top, the data suggest that it did not, but it seems to have touched down and moved a bit before stopping. Keep us informed of what happens.

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada