Travel Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by misticjeff, Oct 13, 2016.

1. misticjeff

misticjeff Member

Would love to hear how Mavic owners will be packing for airline flights?

2. Morgon

Morgon Active Member

Considering how small the case is, I figure I'll just slip it in my laptop bag or carryon suitcase without much thought. Wonder if two batteries can slip inside those fireproof bags if I absolutely need to use one.

MavicJunky likes this.
  3. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome MisticJeff, Morgan. :)
    I will be packing light since I won't be lugging that hard shell case on wheels anymore!

4. Advexure

Advexure Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

Los Angeles, CA - New York, NY - Sheboygan, WI
    I personally plan on just "throwing" the Mavic in my regular camera bag when I travel and obviously carrying on as I never let my cameras be separated from me.

Few tips/things to remember when flying with Mavic batteries:
    • You may take DJI Mavic Batteries on an airplane.
    • In the United States, the TSA allows lithium ion batteries that are under 100 watt hours to be brought aboard an airplane.
    • Any spare batteries (not installed in the Mavic) must be carried on the airplane and not put in your checked baggage. The only time a lithium ion battery can be put in your checked luggage is if it is installed in the drone.
    • You may carry-on as many Mavic batteries as you desire. It is highly recommended to protect the batteries from a short circuit. This can be done by taping over the connection terminals to ensure no metal objects could cause a short circuit.
    • When proceeding through TSA it is advised to remove all batteries from your bag and place them in their own bin to be sent through the x-ray.
    • If you plan on traveling often with your Mavic Pro Drone we may advise that you print off a copy of the TSA regulations in case you run into any trouble. Battery regulations can be found on the TSA website here.
    Battery regulations are always changing so be sure to check back with the FAA every few months. Safe travels!

#4 Advexure, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    No1much likes this.
  5. sdharris

sdharris Well-Known Member

That is not very clear, looks like a typo but I think I know what you mean should probably read "Any spare batteries must be carried on the aircraft and not put in your checked baggage in the planes hold."

I would also advise against putting any battery of that sort in checked luggage whether its in the Mavic or not. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.

6. Advexure

Advexure Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

Los Angeles, CA - New York, NY - Sheboygan, WI
    Yes, there was in fact a type there. Thank you for pointing that out. This should clear up any confusion:

You may not put any spare batteries (meaning they are not installed in the Mavic unit) into your checked baggage. Spare batteries must be placed in your carry-on to be carried aboard the plane.

7. Dacuda

Dacuda Member

I have been flying with all my drones as carry-on and have never had an issue in any country, I love the fact that this is so small that it will fit in my back pack so I will have more room in my other carry on

Advexure likes this.
  8. misticjeff

misticjeff Member

Great info guys! thanks

Advexure likes this.
  9. flumpet

flumpet Well-Known Member

I work as a cabin crew with singapore airlines and have flown to many places with my p3pro. If you keep your spare batteries with you you'll be fine. So far i havent had problems in USA(vegas, hawaii), japan, germany, maldives, australia and new zealand.