DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling by airlines and batteries

Chip D

Reactions
I"ve had my Mavic for at least a month or so, and I'll be flying to California for a few days for work. Was gonna take my Mavic along, and was wondering if anything needs to be done with the batteries. Meaning, I plan on checking my Mavic along with the batts with my luggage. But I had thought someone had said that's ok, but keep you batts with you as your carry on.
Anythoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Chip D - Omaha, Ne

Reactions: greg_g
Checking LiPo's is a problem; throw them in a carry-on and you're good to go.

You must cover the terminals on the batteries and pack them in your carry-on bag. It's okay to check in everything else along with your luggage.

msinger is - as usual - correct. I flew last week and my camera bag with my camera equipment, Mavic, spare batteries, etc wasn't opened or inspected save for the X-Ray machine. I had the terminals covered.

Reactions: KevinT
I contacted the TSA about this, you can take the entire drone with you as a carryon. I would. Checked baggage security love to snoop and take sometimes.

I take everything as carryon. I've been on many flights and never been stopped or questioned about anything. No issues at all.

I'm not sure you need to tape the batteries, even though some airlines' boilerplate specifies that. Older lipos had wire terminals with loose ends, so there was a danger of them touching each other. That's not possible with Mavic batteries. If your backpack has individual pockets, or you use the boxes that the batteries came in, that should be fine.

Reactions: Southern Phantom
You must cover the terminals on the batteries and pack them in your carry-on bag. It's okay to check in everything else along with your luggage.

The FAA mandates that spare batteries be "protected from short circuit". This can be accomplished without specifically covering the just the terminals. One can simply bag each battery separately.

My son recently flew with his Mavic and four batteries. He had it all packed in a Pelican case with nice pockets for each battery.

He had it all packed in a Pelican case with nice pockets for each battery.
Right -- he covered the terminals. I think you're reading into that requirement a bit ;)

I just got back from Hawaii and it was easy. I had the drone with 3 batteries in a hard case. I put electrical tape over the contacts. No one even looked in the case.

There might be at least 25 other threads about this exact same topic....just sayin'. :rolleyes:

I take everything as carryon. I've been on many flights and never been stopped or questioned about anything. No issues at all.

I'm not sure you need to tape the batteries, even though some airlines' boilerplate specifies that. Older lipos had wire terminals with loose ends, so there was a danger of them touching each other. That's not possible with Mavic batteries. If your backpack has individual pockets, or you use the boxes that the batteries came in, that should be fine.
My carryon lights up their x-Ray machine like a Christmas Tree, I sometimes get pullout for further inspection.

Reactions: VortexSpin and Ian
Right -- he covered the terminals. I think you're reading into that requirement a bit ;)

I only wanted to clarify the requirement because the battery terminal covers that came with my batteries do not stay on. I would not want to rely on those to maintain separation.

Just buy this on amazon for $13 and you're good to go.

TELESIN Lipo Safety Guard for Mavic Pro Fire Resistant Explosionproof Lipo Battery Safe Bag Dual Battery Charging & Storage Pouch Sack

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I fly a lot, and check my luggage as I also always have 2 bags of checked luggage for the products that I am demonstrating. So throwing the Mavic with batts into checked in luggage is no biggy. I was just wonderin' about the rules of batts in checked luggage vs carryon. And it would be the easiest thing in the world to stick each batt into a plastic zip lock, which would of course protect the terminals.

My reasoning for putting the Mavic in my checked luggage is my carryon is a Kata laptop/camera bag with attendant lenses. So even though the Mavic is small, its too much to throw in with my OMD EM1 etc. etc.

I bet a dummy terminal protector would be a neat thing to make on our MakerBot though!!

Chip D - Omaha, NE

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I fly a lot, and check my luggage as I also always have 2 bags of checked luggage for the products that I am demonstrating. So throwing the Mavic with batts into checked in luggage is no biggy. I was just wonderin' about the rules of batts in checked luggage vs carryon. And it would be the easiest thing in the world to stick each batt into a plastic zip lock, which would of course protect the terminals.

My reasoning for putting the Mavic in my checked luggage is my carryon is a Kata laptop/camera bag with attendant lenses. So even though the Mavic is small, its too much to throw in with my OMD EM1 etc. etc.

I bet a dummy terminal protector would be a neat thing to make on our MakerBot though!!

Chip D - Omaha, NE

It is against FAA rules to check spare batteries. They must be carried on.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Hmm. This is what I read in the FAA Guideline. Now I am confused.

Q2. What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in checked baggage (including gate-checked bags)? A2. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered devices—particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up—must be protected from accidental activation. Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage—this includes external battery packs.

I went through MIA and ATL with no problem. Never even stopped or asked. Had the Mavic packed in my camera bag with 2 batteries. I didn't do anything special for the batteries, although one I left in the original box because it was new.

I went through MIA and ATL with no problem. Never even stopped or asked. Had the Mavic packed in my camera bag with 2 batteries. I didn't do anything special for the batteries, although one I left in the original box because it was new.

I had the same experience with my mavic. Took it on a cruise and 2 flights in the last month and no one even batted an eye. They did however confiscate my water of course LOL. Mavics are the perfect travel drone. No hassle or fuss. Don't see myself taking my phantom anywhere again.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98