DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling from these countries? Banned electronics in cabin.

How prey tell?

You seriously can't think of a single way a co-ordinated group of 50 people would be able to critically sabotage a plane yet you're suggesting assembling a complex explosive in 50 parts is viable?!

As it's always been said, it's about the intel - if it's failed that badly that 50 people with those intentions could get onto a single plane then it doesn't matter what they bring on, there's going to be problems. The case they're basing these restrictions on is not 50 people but the actions of a single person who created an explosion enough to make a hole in the side of the plane that wouldn't have done so if it had been in the hold, not 50 people coming onboard and assembling an impossibly complex set of explosives.

John

I saw something on the news about a case a while back where a bomber set off a bomb in his laptop in an airliner. He was sat in the window seat and it blew a hole in the fuselage, he died, but luckily the aircraft was not high enough for explosive decompression so the plane survived and they were able to work out what had caused the explosion.
A bomb of the same size in the hold, especially in a baggage container, would have had less effect as aircraft manufacturers have learnt from experience.

Next will be cameras and lenses. Not putting my dslr and red ringed lenses in the hands of the baggage handlers!!

As it is for all electronics, I would think DSLRs and lens would be included, too. I carried about $5k of equipment in my carryon the last time I traveled. I think it will be more than that when I go diving in Grand Cayman. It wouldn't be the end of me to put it in my checked luggage, but I will buy insurance before I check it.

guys i work at airport(17 years experience...) the point is that EVEN if bags are handled well by workers still there are thousands bags managed everyday and few of them for one reason or another can get hit hard.. can fall down while being transported from terminal to aircraft and can be handle a bit hard by someone new at work...
i'd NEVER put a DSLR or my Mavic in a checked bag !!! absolutely not !

Reactions: Soundtekk
Or there is the alternative explanation to consider - that it's an economic /protectionist move disguised as a security measure to prevent the airlines involved from lodging complaints, while forcing businessmen to fly US/UK airlines if they want to get any work done...
Retaliation for heavy subsidies of Arab airlines

Analysis | Trump won’t allow you to use iPads or laptops on certain airlines. Here’s why.

Or, it's Trump's half-hearted answer to the Muslim ban being overruled by the courts.

I saw something on the news about a case a while back where a bomber set off a bomb in his laptop in an airliner. He was sat in the window seat and it blew a hole in the fuselage, he died, but luckily the aircraft was not high enough for explosive decompression so the plane survived and they were able to work out what had caused the explosion.
A bomb of the same size in the hold, especially in a baggage container, would have had less effect as aircraft manufacturers have learnt from experience.

That plane was flying from Somalia with zero airport security, and bomb was on a timer, so could have gone off in cargo hold. Also over a year ago - no bans then! Airport in question not even on the banned list now!
Dubai etc have fairly advanced airport security...
More articles I read more it seems just like an economic move to squish the Muslim airlines...

Reactions: bucefalo and Robin
That plane was flying from Somalia with zero airport security, and bomb was on a timer, so could have gone off in cargo hold. Also over a year ago - no bans then! Airport in question not even on the banned list now!
Dubai etc have fairly advanced airport security...
More articles I read more it seems just like an economic move to squish the Muslim airlines...
But if the bomb had gone off in the cargo hold it MIGHT not have blown a hole in the side of the plane.

OTOH if 50 attackers boarded an A-380, each with 100g of plastique buried in their laptops, that would be a combined 5 Kg charge.... combine that over the course of a 10 hour flight to ...
Why do you have to combine it? 5 Kg, detonated simultaneously could probably do the job, even if scattered about the cabin.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S