DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to Canada

CuaC

Reactions
Hello folks!
In a couple of weeks I will be traveling to Canada. Our plan is to have kind of a road trip so we won't be only on the main cities. I thought of course of bringing my mavic, but I'm not sure how the regulation ended being.

I read some people says that you need insurance for recreational too, some people says that you don't, and the rules I read on the page don't say anything about that. Is it mandatory? Do you know any place to get insurance for a few days only in Canada? (My normal insurance covers everywhere in the world except Canada and the US...)

Also on the customs side, should I be aware of anything? I guess it's mandatory to declare the drone and your camera equipment when entering into and noting the serial numbers, is as simple as that?

Thanks to everybody!

No insurance legally required for strictly recreational use. No special requirement to declare upon entry any more than you would a camera. To be completely 'legal', you may want to ensure your drone is marked with your name, address, and telephone number. I personally refuse to do so under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms Act and the Privacy Act which contradict the current drone law. Fly responsibly, stay away from airports, keep under 300 feet, and don't linger near homes or private property. National Parks are all 'No Fly Zones'. Same with National Wildlife Refuges. Keep in mind that the Minister of Transport has encouraged citizens to call 911 should they observe anyone breaking any of the new rules. We face a fine of $3000 per offence. Have not read or heard of a single instance of enforcement since the new laws came into effect in mid March. That should cover it, welcome and happy flying, this is a big, empty, beautiful place and is made for flying.

A friend of mine was in court for a traffic offence in Ontario. He said the guy before him received a $500 fine for flying a drone. This was about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks a lot!

On customs, what's the "usual"? Declare cameras and so on with serial number? I'm so used to travel in Europe with no border control that it gets crazy when going to the other side of the world.

No insurance legally required for strictly recreational use. No special requirement to declare upon entry any more than you would a camera. To be completely 'legal', you may want to ensure your drone is marked with your name, address, and telephone number. I personally refuse to do so under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms Act and the Privacy Act which contradict the current drone law. Fly responsibly, stay away from airports, keep under 300 feet, and don't linger near homes or private property. National Parks are all 'No Fly Zones'. Same with National Wildlife Refuges. Keep in mind that the Minister of Transport has encouraged citizens to call 911 should they observe anyone breaking any of the new rules. We face a fine of $3000 per offence. Have not read or heard of a single instance of enforcement since the new laws came into effect in mid March. That should cover it, welcome and happy flying, this is a big, empty, beautiful place and is made for flying.

I do not work for Customs and Revenue Canada. That being said, I would be NOT concerned about declaring cameras, drones, laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc. which are items a visitor to Canada would be expected to carry. You will be given a declaration card during the flight here where you claim items such as alcohol, tobacco, firearms, excessive cash, etc. I cross the border from the USA into Canada at least 10 times per year and have never had an issue with personal items.

I do not work for Customs and Revenue Canada. That being said, I would be NOT concerned about declaring cameras, drones, laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc. which are items a visitor to Canada would be expected to carry. You will be given a declaration card during the flight here where you claim items such as alcohol, tobacco, firearms, excessive cash, etc. I cross the border from the USA into Canada at least 10 times per year and have never had an issue with personal items.

I guess I'll keep the receipt, and if they do stop us I'll ask the officer

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder