DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to Colombia, South America with a Mavic Pro...

Alex El Caballo

Reactions
So I will (God willing i get my bird before Dec 22..) traveling to Colombia and using the mavic pro while there.
My questions are these:
1. Will the MP be able to locate the GPS signals while there?
2. I have an iPad pro and iPhone 6+ for the RC but since the phone is locked will i be able to use maps in remote areas? The iPad pro is unlocked and has LTE could i use it for data with a sim card while there?

I will have access to wifi in the big cities but when i travel to farms no access to these luxuries.
Thanks for any info with this cuandrum. I am new to UAV's and do not have ANY knowledge regarding this deal..

1. Will the MP be able to locate the GPS signals while there?
Yes.

2. I have an iPad pro and iPhone 6+ for the RC but since the phone is locked will i be able to use maps in remote areas? The iPad pro is unlocked and has LTE could i use it for data with a sim card while there?
If you don't have cellular access, you could cache the maps in DJI GO in a location where you have an Internet connection before you head out to fly.

I guess i better get familiarized with the DJI GO app ASAP!!
Now here is another question from a technologically challenged person.
When you put a phone on airplane mode does it disable the internal GPS?

Yeah... I dunno if this gringo would risk taking his MP to Bogota when I go down there to visit the suegro y suegra, but I can certainly imagine the great footage that'd be possible!

Reactions: photoshoot
I just got back from Bogota. I didn't take my quad and I would be really apprehensive about flying it anywhere populated. The city is under heavy security with bomb dogs and security everywhere. Not sure what their laws are regarding drones.

I'm gonna be in the outskirts of Bogota, Chia to be exact.
The out to the family farms.
I attempted to look up laws to no real success.
But as you know, a few greenbacks can get you out of a tight space...:)

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Yeah it will be interesting to fly there because the city is already at 8000ft. I felt the altitude when we were going to this monastery. Just be careful, we got a lengthy briefing from the embassy people on how dangerous it is there especially if they see something as expensive as the mavic.

I guess it's like anything else.
I would not fly this bird in over town here in Miami.
But I am a sucker for a challenge and an adrenaline rush....

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Man...now I'm going to have to take the family to the one Colombian restaurant here in town after this thread LOL

Hey guys, I'm flying into Barranquilla, CO tomorrow and have the Mavic Pro. Do you think I will have any problems getting it through customs? I just found this link that shows many laws that I wont be able to comply with...

Colombia Drone Laws – UAV Systems International

These last 4 specifically:
  • You must take a private pilot class at an institution authorized by the Aeronautica Civil
  • You must have insurance that covers damage to third parties
  • You must establish communication with the nearest airport control tower before and during every flight
  • You must file a flight plan with the aviation authority at least 15 working days prior to your intended flight date. Contact information for the aviation authority is at the bottom of this page

Please keep us posted. I'm flying into CTG next week and would love to take it along.

You won't have a problem.
I was just there and if you use common sense and fly the Mavic safely and away from the big barrios you'll be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I also sent an email to the website that posted those rules/ laws to verify about if this was a commercial pilot and never got a response.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yeah. I had no problem getting it through customs. I flew it in Cartagena. The winds were so strong, I almost lost it on my first flight. But thankfully, no issues with customs or flights. :)

Yeah. I had no problem getting it through customs. I flew it in Cartagena. The winds were so strong, I almost lost it on my first flight. But thankfully, no issues with customs or flights. :)
+1. Same exact for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929