DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Treasure your Mavic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Reactions
*I'm sorry I dont have the video for this. I never got to the height where i press record. Flight record is incoming, but indulge me for now

So I got cocky today and chose to set my RTH next to a tree in the park, thats next to the river.
I put it down for takeoff clear of the tree, do a compass dance.
i put it back down, too stupid to see it was now under the tree, if only just

Same as usual, I zoom straight up to 30ft for the RTH to kick in, eyes fixed on the screen.
Immediate sound of Branches crumbling! Engines no longer spinning!

i look up in time to see it drops 20 ft sideways, almost flip, engines scream into life before it hits the dirt, then starts to do the "Im seriously damaged" dance, flying just out of sight towards the riverbed.

i collect myself, already accepting it's smashed or in the river..
but i can still hear engines idling?
I run over and the little xxxxxxx on the ground 1m from the riverbed, hmm

At this point im thankful its not in the river, but postive it is terminal
I power it up up to confirm this.
3 engines are spinning, there is hope!
i go to check the damage to the engine and see the propeller is just unlocked.
All props are spinning! I notice the gimbal is not smashed or covered in dirt.

this post is getting epic so i'll finish by saying that mavic never hit the ground!
every collision feature had gone into overdrive, it finally righted itself, got into a hover and landed just
as far from the water as it needed to,
and I am..happy :)!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. It's not a toy per se, but it is a luxury item. 2. Having insurance takes away the fear of crashing or losing it. Pretty simple.

Reactions: jointeffort
1. It's not a toy per se, but it is a luxury item. 2. Having insurance takes away the fear of crashing or losing it. Pretty simple.

You keep saying that but your forgetting that 95% of people are not able to get that insurance because their company does not offer it.

Reactions: dewster and Kilrah
this post is getting epic so i'll finish by saying that mavic never hit the ground!
every collision feature had gone into overdrive, it finally righted itself, got into a hover and landed just

I am happy for you Kate. Just be more careful and if your flying through tight areas. Do a walk through first and make sure it is good path. Those Pro videos you see on YouTube typically involve hours of work. The guys walk through all the areas that are dangerous and tight before they send the drone in.

Rob

Reactions: Bunny Too
*I'm sorry I dont have the video for this. I never got to the height where i press record. Flight record is incoming, but indulge me for now

So I got cocky today and chose to set my RTH next to a tree in the park, thats next to the river.

Same as usual, I zoom straight up to 30ft for the RTH to kick in, eyes fixed on the screen.

i look up in time to see it drops 20 ft sideways, almost flip, engines scream into life before it hits the dirt, then starts to do the "Im seriously damaged" dance, flying just out of sight towards the riverbed.

I run over and the little bastard is on the ground 1m from the riverbed, hmm

You seriously need to make a sacrifice to the luck gods - and pronto.

Sometimes (perhaps most times) it's better to be lucky than good. Glad it ended well!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Slayerstwin

You're right. Its a glorified toy haha, the term "toy" is relative to the amount of money you spent on it! A cheapo chinese drone is not any more or less of a toy than the Mavic.

Glad you didnt have any catastrophic damage. Im already on my second Mavic because of my ignorance to actually look at it while it was flying. Hit a nice concrete pillar situated in the middle of a pool and it went swimming.

You keep saying that but your forgetting that 95% of people are not able to get that insurance because their company does not offer it.
I never had State Farm, but I do now. Just on my MP, 60 bucks worth of state of mind.

I don't know about everyone else, but I try to be ultra-safe during takeoffs and landings because I'm paranoid about crashing a $1000 toy.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using MavicPilots mobile app

thanks for the positive replies
I got cocky, and deserved a bit of fail, so yep:

'Better lucky that good' is probably spot on

I run over and the little bastard is on the ground 1m from the riverbed, hmm

OMG your OP is so intense my palms are sweating !!!!

Lesson learned, keep your eyes open and stop being cocky :D

I don't forget but what I often see here and in other threads/groups is that people are: 1. Too lazy to get insurance. They are the best and most experience drone pilots ever. They will NEVER have an accident until they have one. 2. Some feel that $60 to $100 is way to expensive for the $1000+ drone they bought. Their priorities are screwed up (my opinion). I see this often in my camera groups. People will spend $5000 on a camera, $2000+ on a lens and then only want to spend $75 on a flimsy tripod. Before I even had my drone (P4 first, then the Mavic), I called and insured my device. Peace of mind and I do not worry about fly-aways, or flying into trees, or other mishaps. I simply enjoy the device I paid for.

Their priorities are screwed up (my opinion). I see this often in my camera groups. People will spend $5000 on a camera, $2000+ on a lens and then only want to spend $75 on a flimsy tripod.

Tripod? How many people use tripods these days with DSLR cameras that you can instantly turn up to 800 ISO and beyond with still clean images, and with lenses which have built-in image stabilization? I've got an $1800 DSLR camera, a $2000 medium telephoto lens (with image stabilization), and spent $0 on a tripod. Don't need one.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Reactions: Kilrah
Welcome to the 21st century.

Welcome to photography 101. Your post clearly shows you now very little about photography and you are most likely still using the auto setting. To illuminate you, I will provide context. Ever here of long exposure, macro photography, architectural photography, still life, etc... None of these shots I included would be possible without a tripod. How do I know that? I know because I am a good and knowledgable photographer. I know what is required for each shot I want to take. Image stabilization is only so good and most photographers know that IS or VR (Nikon) can sometimes cause more problems than it is worth. So while you may be a more than capable drone pilot, you have shown very little in the way of being a capable photographer, but if you are happy with your snapshots, then that is really all that matters. Hope I have been able to illuminate things for you.

Attachments

• 20150503-_DSC9363.jpg
    20150503-_DSC9363.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 20150921-_DLT3898-Edit.jpg
    20150921-_DLT3898-Edit.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20150923-_DLT4737.jpg
    20150923-_DLT4737.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 65
  • Aurora in Tromso Norway.jpg
    Aurora in Tromso Norway.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 65
Reactions: cobra46 and halley
Welcome to photography 101. Your post clearly shows you now very little about photography and you are most likely still using the auto setting. To illuminate you, I will provide context. Ever here of long exposure, macro photography, architectural photography, still life, etc... None of these shots I included would be possible without a tripod. How do I know that? I know because I am a good and knowledgable photographer. I know what is required for each shot I want to take. Image stabilization is only so good and most photographers know that IS or VR (Nikon) can sometimes cause more problems than it is worth. So while you may be a more than capable drone pilot, you have shown very little in the way of being a capable photographer, but if you are happy with your snapshots, then that is really all that matters. Hope I have been able to illuminate things for you.

LOL! Those are simple specialty shots. You want to talk and boast about needing a tripod for macro photography? Fine, I can say that I've gone to much higher magnifications than you have using a confocal microscope without using a tripod. (Oh, and I've also done a lot of conventional macro shots without ever using a tripod.) You ever taken high-speed pictures at 80 nsecs per frame with a high-speed rotating camera? How about high speed holographic pictures using laser flash photography?

"Never underestimate your competition".

:)

None of these shots I included would be possible without a tripod.

bJV5pKL.jpg

This was on a tripod with a 1000mm objective, 460 meters away. The hangar with the logo behind it is almost 1500 meters away. It might look like a hand-held shot but there's no way you are holding up that glass and holding steady for 1/400 and f/16.

Reactions: deltalimatango
LOL! Those are simple specialty shots. You want to talk and boast about needing a tripod for macro photography? Fine, I can say that I've gone to much higher magnifications than you have using a confocal microscope without using a tripod. (Oh, and I've also done a lot of conventional macro shots without ever using a tripod.) You ever taken high-speed pictures at 80 nsecs per frame with a high-speed rotating camera? How about high speed holographic pictures using laser flash photography?

"Never underestimate your competition".

:)

Not sure what camera you're using but I use a Nikon D810 and the high resolution makes having a tripod a must but again a photographer knows these things.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Ever here of long exposure, macro photography, architectural photography, still life, etc... None of these shots I included would be possible without a tripod.
And not everybody does that or anything else that does need a tripod.
I've got a cheapo tripod because for the 1-2 occasions per year I use it it's pointless to invest more. Just don't need one for what I do with current tech. Sometimes it could help a bit, but it isn't worth bothering with the bulk/clumsiness.

there's no way you are holding up that glass and holding steady for 1/400 and f/16.
No problem in these conditions for many camera systems today thanks to very efficient stabilization.

I take 800mm equivalent shots handheld at 1/250 nearly every day.

DSC08083_fb.jpg

I don't forget but what I often see here and in other threads/groups is that people are: 2. Some feel that $60 to $100 is way to expensive for the $1000+ drone they bought
Not everybody can buy $100 insurance. For me it would cost as much as the Mavic per year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR