DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trembling thumbs with Mavic controller

PaoloOne

Reactions
Hi Guys,

lately I have been noticing myself having a bit shaking/tremble on the thumbs while flying, especially on the left hand while performing rotations using the yaw/rudder.
I am not suffering any specific shakiness problem whatsoever in everyday life.
Currently my preferred setup is using a 9.7 inch tablet using the etsy 3d printed tablet mount.
My tendency is using the sticks with the thumbs.
Does anybody had this problem and can suggest me where to focus on?

I understand that probably forcing myself to pinch the sticks will help to avoid that, also I think at this point that I should rely a bit more on the lanyard that I already have, giving it the chance to carry more weight and by letting rest the controller on my belly.

Again I would like to know that anybody more experienced than me can give me some advises and went trough the same problem.

I find that the size of the Mavic controller is encouraging into using the thumbs more than pinching the sticks and I find this a bit unfortunate.

I flew RC planes (mostly 3D/wildly acrobatic stuff) a TON for about 3-4 years and then I took a 3 year hiatus and recently picked up the Mavic... which is vastly different from 3D RC flying BUT I can offer you some insight as I've had some experience with this.

About two months ago I shattered the ball of my right shoulder and had to have emergency shoulder replacement surgery. The recover process is going to be loooooong so I'm far from recovered. I still have difficulty getting my arm situation in a good position for holding certain things, Mavic controller included. If I'm at a bad angle I'll definitely get some thumb/finger twitchiness going on. So for me, it's a muscle weakness issue. Pinching the sticks isn't going to help - it will most likely exacerbate the issue. For me, it all comes down to getting the controller in a spot that is optimal for my hands to hold the controller as stress free as possible. I'm guessing this might be the same for you as well, and in that case a lanyard may indeed help. Sometimes sitting down and resting the controller in your lap helps as well.

I've heard of guys in the RC world talking about this same issue and for them a lanyard made a huge difference.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Clinton1
Probably the nerves for having a $1,000 piece of equipment flying away from you ha ha
That could be part of it, yet more seasoned flyers than me seems to convey that pinching is the way to handle the sticks but the Mavic controller seems not meant too much for such way to control.

Reactions: darren6270
I believe Darren6270 is right; I'm right handed and my left hand is logically less precise. If you add to that the fact that you have "a lot of cash" depending on so many things that can go wrong, it's only natural that the nerves catch up with you. Not that it helps you, but it also happens to me; I also use my thumbs. I have tried every setting to make the control less responsive or sensitive, without getting into the tripod mod but haven't managed anything to date.... If only the flight speed on the tripod mode would be reasonable (or adjustable), I would fly constantly in tripod mode...:mad:
Spanish Flyer

Reactions: darren6270
.... So for me, it's a muscle weakness issue. Pinching the sticks isn't going to help - it will most likely exacerbate the issue. For me, it all comes down to getting the controller in a spot that is optimal for my hands to hold the controller as stress free as possible. I'm guessing this might be the same for you as well, and in that case a lanyard may indeed help. Sometimes sitting down and resting the controller in your lap helps as well.
Thanks!! This is exactly what I'd like to hear, personal experiences so I can focus on improving one thing or the other...

Reactions: Turnerm
Not that it helps you, but it also happens to me; I also use my thumbs. I have tried every setting to make the control less responsive or sensitive, without getting into the tripod mod but haven't managed anything to date.... If only the flight speed on the tripod mode would be reasonable (or adjustable), I would fly constantly in tripod mode...:mad:
Are you flying with a phone or a tablet?
In any case regarding the tripod mode, DJI should allow to have a "custom tripod mode" in which the controller responsiveness and the maximum speed could be limited like in beginners mode without the distance limitations, a "reduced rate mode" which could be quickly switched back and forth from normal mode.

Yep, happens to me too. I just thought it was a combination of motor skills and age :)

Of course, it only happens at the worst possible times! I use a tablet, so trying to pinch the control knobs is pretty hard to do.

Hi Guys,

lately I have been noticing myself having a bit shaking/tremble on the thumbs while flying, especially on the left hand while performing rotations using the yaw/rudder.
I am not suffering any specific shakiness problem whatsoever in everyday life.
Currently my preferred setup is using a 9.7 inch tablet using the etsy 3d printed tablet mount.
My tendency is using the sticks with the thumbs.
Does anybody had this problem and can suggest me where to focus on?

I understand that probably forcing myself to pinch the sticks will help to avoid that, also I think at this point that I should rely a bit more on the lanyard that I already have, giving it the chance to carry more weight and by letting rest the controller on my belly.

Again I would like to know that anybody more experienced than me can give me some advises and went trough the same problem.

I find that the size of the Mavic controller is encouraging into using the thumbs more than pinching the sticks and I find this a bit unfortunate.

I get the same thing on my right thumb. It happens when I do my distance run and you have to hold the stick forward continuously. I was thinking I should get a rubber band to hold the stick in the full forward position, like a cruise control.

Reactions: Rnl and Fplvert
A proper lanyard with shoulder and cross-back straps could be a big help. I use that setup with ipad and find it to be comfortable and more relaxong for my hands. I have the RC fairly high, around sternum area. YMMV...

I have it as well and i do have shaky hands anyway, I also use my thumbs in the main. A lanyard helps but sometimes i forget. I found that resting my thumb next to the stick then pushing my thumb down before i move it sideways limits my rotation speed and shakiness quite well. it is like grounding my thumb into the little piece of room next to the stick, That gives my thumb some support while at the same time limiting how far i can push sideways. I seem now to be able to adjust the downward pressure to coincide with how quickly i want to rotate or Yaw.

I have not quite mastered it yet myself but i get closer each flight, You can rotate that way quite well for at least one rotation before your thumb needs a small break.

I have it as well, though not to a level that it interferes with the precision of my flying.
I think it has to do with a combination of tension and precision; if part of your arm is working to lift the controller and part of the hand needs to be relaxed to be precise; not a good combination. As was suggested, try a lanyard to take the weight of the controller off your arms, or rest it on your la/a table/etc.

5lo0fc.jpg

I believe Darren6270 is right; I'm right handed and my left hand is logically less precise.

I myself am right handed, but my left hand is kind of made for piloting, always more precise and smooth in everything: I preferred it when I was kid on a bike, I always use it while driving for 26-27 years, and I use it for driving cars in so many videogames... GTA5 just now, for example. The right one is precise too, yeah, but it's best for the gear lever than for the wheel for me
Mileages do vary

I have it as well, though not to a level that it interferes with the precision of my flying.
I think it has to do with a combination of tension and precision; if part of your arm is working to lift the controller and part of the hand needs to be relaxed to be precise; not a good combination. As was suggested, try a lanyard to take the weight of the controller off your arms, or rest it on your la/a table/etc.

That: if you are not comfortable in keeping the RC+smartohone in your hands, you can have issues handling the sticks. Sometimes I have to change positions and it all fits

Yep, not an uncommon problem. Comes and goes for me, depending on the stress level of my hands. And yes a lanyard will help. I'm just not sure how I would use one on my system because I have a long shade in the way.

Temors. I told my wife 20 yrs ago that I would someday have tremors. I was right. I'm in my early 70s, and during the last two years it has become a minor problem, most affecting my stick stability with the left thumb. On my Phantom 3A, I grip the stick between thumb and forefinger to have more precise control. So far, on the Mavic controller, it hasn't been a problem. That said, I don't have a lot of time on it, as it is new to me. I don't know where I can hook a lanyard, so I haven't tried it. I always flew with a wide camera strap on my Phantom controller. It didn't help. I'm running some small rubber knob expanders on the Mavic, and have not flown without them. Also, I have not yet tried tripod mode, but will be doing so probably on my next outing. I think the stronger springs on the Mavic sticks, along with a stronger detent in the middle, go a long way to improve my control stability. Even without tripod, I find I can control slow speed quite well on the Mavic.

There was a video here of someone recovering a lost drone from atop of a Texas cross.

What I noticed was the pilot of the recovery drone (the one with the coat hanger for a hook....genius!) was flying his drone with the controller actually mounted on a tripod! This allowed him to precisely focus on the drone and not worry about all the tasks of flying.....

Just a thought....[emoji6]

Reactions: HarryMerkin
I suffer with Multiple Sclerosis which affects me with fine motor skill tremors.
Best way to deal with this is to first use a good size screen on a good attachment, then use a lanyard so all weight is off your hands. Then rest your thumbs along the controller with ball of thumbs resting on the fold out arms, don't push on the tips of the sticks but rather slightly under when going up sideways or forward.
I find that resting my thumbs on the controller and fold outs gives me more control of my tremors.
Hope this helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu