DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trick for footage storage on trips.

MavicKhan

Reactions
If, like me, you're in this for the imaging part of the hobby, have heaps of CF and SD storage, don't want to replicate that capacity by multiplying MicroSD cards and don't to further load your photography bag with data banks or a laptop, here's a tip I just stumbled upon while trying to figure out how I was going to be able to store significant amounts of 4K footage in the first trip I am about to make, carrying the Mavic:

If your camera has dual card slots, chances are it allows content from one to be copied to the other.

I just tested this with my 5DMKIV and, although the camera flags the video files (MOV and MP4) as unable to be reproduced on camera, it still allows for the content in the MicroSD card (in an adapter) to be transferred to the CF card (the SD slot has to be the selected "playback" one).

This is a great solution for me, since I own a lot of large capacity CF cards.

Hope this helps ! :)

MK

I've heard of some people using portable 1TB hard drives with their own microSD slots from which they can copy data.

I think I would rather bring a MacBook or even a Raspberry Pi... heck, even borrow a hotel computer, than go back to those dark days of using a dedicated flash-to-hdd device. My old data tank gave me such trouble.

I was thinking of buying one of these as it would be really handy for when on holiday. ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Di...8-4&keywords=Portable+hard+drive+with+sd+slot

This is the better buy:
My Passport Wireless Pro - Portable Hard Drive | Western Digital (WD)

I have tried the MyPassport for saving directly from the SD card and found the software to be buggy. I returned it and waited for the updated MyPassport Wireless Pro. It's much better. Think I'll keep this one exclusively for Phantom/Mavic downloads, which can be done without PC/ Mac. Also, you can use the onboard battery to charge your phone and maybe controller. It doesn't have enough power to charge an iPad.

Reactions: jointeffort
If you have a few extra HDDs laying around, try this

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wir...rd_wg=CBjj2&psc=1&refRID=ZPVHGE2SVNYH2HFWMT85

Took it on a few trips and made storage a breeze. I already had a a couple 2 TB HDDs though.

Nice idea but I'm missing the part where your images are stored for later review or offloading. I can see where you put in the SD card, but where do the images go? Seems to be a wireless card reader of sorts and not a true storage device. I could be wrong though. Please advise.

Nice idea but I'm missing the part where your images are stored for later review or offloading. I can see where you put in the SD card, but where do the images go? Seems to be a wireless card reader of sorts and not a true storage device. I could be wrong though. Please advise.

1. Connect an external hard drive via USB to the and move files to/from your SD card
2. Have it broadcast a Wifi signal then move files to/from your SD card/hard drive to/from a wireless device like a phone/tablet/laptop.
3. It also has like a 6000 mah battery so it can power external hard drives that do not require ac adapters. You can also charge a phone or whatever.
4. You can also view the contents of an external hard drive/SD card via the wifi signal, on your phone/tablet/laptop.

But that's why I mentioned, if you have an extra hard drive. It's only 40 bucks compared to the other suggestions which are $130+

When on a trips, far from a computer and not wanting to lug around a laptop, I just brought this device, a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2 TB HDD, a gopro, usb cable, micro sd adapter, and phone.

Reactions: deltalimatango
1. Connect an external hard drive via USB to the and move files to/from your SD card
2. Have it broadcast a Wifi signal then move files to/from your SD card/hard drive to/from a wireless device like a phone/tablet/laptop.
3. It also has like a 6000 mah battery so it can power external hard drives that do not require ac adapters. You can also charge a phone or whatever.
4. You can also view the contents of an external hard drive/SD card via the wifi signal, on your phone/tablet/laptop.

But that's why I mentioned, if you have an extra hard drive. It's only 40 bucks compared to the other suggestions which are $130+

When on a trips, far from a computer and not wanting to lug around a laptop, I just brought this device, a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2 TB HDD, a gopro, usb cable, micro sd adapter, and phone.

Roger that.

I am torn between the solution offered by Knexx which seems very doable verses the WD MyPassport Wireless Pro 2 TB. One option would be to get the RAV Power Wireless device and spend a bit more cash and put an SSD in an external drive. Faster access and you would even be able to edit in real-time from the RAV Power.

This is the better buy:

I have tried the MyPassport for saving directly from the SD card and found the software to be buggy. I returned it and waited for the updated MyPassport Wireless Pro. It's much better. Think I'll keep this one exclusively for Phantom/Mavic downloads, which can be done without PC/ Mac. Also, you can use the onboard battery to charge your phone and maybe controller. It doesn't have enough power to charge an iPad.
That's a great idea! I like it!

I use the Toshiba aerocast drive for mine (I have had great luck with it with my GoPros). It also can be used as a power bank and the wifi supports it being a media hub like the passport (I think the passport does that)? We used it a lot on or last trip to Hawaii. It helped keep my daughters occupied during the flight (stream movies to their iPads). I used it to stream content that I had captured earlier that day (reviewing footage at the end of the day). It's only 1tb though

This is the better buy:

If I connect my Mavic via usb to this drive will it offload the video/photo files without having to remove the microsd card each time which is a bit of a faff?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada