DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tried RTH for the first time - Question

pcalvin

Reactions
I was just shooting footage to use for LUT test in the back yard and tried RTH for the first time. The Magic flew to the 30M height, moved around a bit, left and right, then started to fly over the house. I canceled RTH and landed manually. Was the drone just hunting for home as part of the process, or was it headed off somewhere?

Thanks,

Sounds like your HP was off, how was it looking on the map?

Did you start the craft in the house first ?

Ah.. I started it under the covered patio because the grass interfered with the gimbal on startup. I did not start the props, though, only turned the drone on and allowed the gimbal to do it's thing. Then I carried the drone by hand to the yard, started the props and began to fly. So home is set when the Mavic is turned on (just pressing the button on the battery only), and not when you pull back the controlled to start the props and begin to fly?

It's set at different times depending on GPS lock. Sounds like you had no lock whatsoever and didn't give it a chance to set home point.

Not a good idea :)

Home point is usually set automatically when the Mavic takes off. I have noticed the behaviour you describe once with my Mavic and, like you, didn't take any chances and cancelled immediately. Since then, it's RTH perfectly every time. Just makes sure you hear the vocal verification, 'The Home Point has been recorded'.

That's what I thought, that home was set on takeoff. I'll pay more attention to the verification and test it in a park nearby where there are soccer fields and no obstructions.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

i take off using the take off button, then it gives me some message saying "do you want the mavic to precisely record your home point" click the box and you're done. my RTH has been flawless so far, we're talking within a couple of inches every time.

Reactions: Vacation guy
My home position is usually set before I even start the motors. So if powered up and allowed to initialize under the patio then there is a good possibility it had already set the home point before you moved to the yard.

Reactions: Vacation guy
If you upload your TXT flight log here, you can see exactly where the home point was set.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair