DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tripod mode - indoors (gulp!)

Mike_in_Letcombe

Reactions
Well it's blowing up a fair old wind outside, I'm very slow with work (very few people seem to want to buy AutoCAD software to put under their Xmas tree...) but I have a Mavic to play with. Tried flying indoors when I first got it but darn well nearly had a 'bump' so decided against trying again. Until now.....watched a few YouTube efforts and thought 'I can do that!' So picked a spot in the sitting room, switched off 'OA' at the front (otherwise you can't move....) and got a very slow, steady shot of my sitting room with Xmas Tree (large sparkling thing in the corner - you can't miss it!), Drone Magazine on the coffee table (that I zoomed in on - a bit of shameless advertising, maybe they'll send me a free battery....) and my 55" TV on the wall. Extremely stable, although I lost focus once when I pointed it at the TV - probably the glass confused it. Very short video as I didn't want to push my luck... All shot in 2.7K @ 30fps, converted down in GoPro Studio. Surprisingly stable and easy to control - certainly wouldn't try this with the P4 in such a small room.

I'd also tried indoors having seen a few videos where it seemed to look pretty easy - didn't end too well with a sort of controlled emergency stop as it *just* contacted a chair with back props.
I think if your floor does not have any pattern and light levels are not good you can soon get unexpected movement.
Also good point about turning off OA (which I hadn't) and probably explains why it seemed to not respond to me trying to stop it gently backing up.
In short unless you have a good sized room and are prepared to risk minor damage to objects if not the drone it's not a particularly sensible thing to try.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke