DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tripod mode moving/stationary timelapses?

ridebikesbro

Reactions
Hi guys,
Getting my Mavic in less than a week and am really curious about the potential for timelapse videos, especially using the slower tripod mode to make really cinematic moving timelapses. I was wondering if anyone has experience doing this and could offer some advice for camera settings etc.

It would help me out, any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

You could just enter tripod mode and ascend to the chosen altitude. Snap a pic and then move horizontally to the left or right to a new spot and snap a pic , rinse , repeat.

You could also just remain in a hover and allow the action in front of the camera to change as you captured pics.

Then stitch them.

It might be hard to move the same distance for every shot though. It would be time consuming. Perhaps use Lichti and setup a mission to move to preselected Waypoints and snap a photo.

Flite Test made reference to this in their latest VLOG. Basically flying the Mavic in Tripod mode then speeding it up in post production so it looks like moving time lapse. Worth a look.

Flite Test made reference to this in their latest VLOG. Basically flying the Mavic in Tripod mode then speeding it up in post production so it looks like moving time lapse. Worth a look.

Cool, thanks! Wondering if anyone has some direct experience with this as well. I'm guessing those files would be huge (filming straight for 20min in 4K?)

I dont think that is accurate as I have just checked and I have a 4:40 min flight in one video file.

Cool, thanks! Wondering if anyone has some direct experience with this as well. I'm guessing those files would be huge (filming straight for 20min in 4K?)

Just checked and one 4 minute clip in .mov format at 4 K 30 FPS = 1.7 Gig.
So using this as a baseline I get 20 minutes = approx 8.5 Gig's in 4 K 30 fps.

Rounding off this would be approximately 4 minutes equals 2 Gig.

Good video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For timelapse shooting I would advice to take pictures instead of accelarating video. Photo=>timed shot

My first attempt at time lapse / hyperlapse using the video method rather than photos. Was attempting to get movement forward but after latest update tripod mode did not show for this flight. Watch from 1.30, not perfect as it was quite windy, but a start.
Great video! Stunning scenes. Do you mind telling me what music that was. Cheers

Reactions: KevWaite
My first attempt at time lapse / hyperlapse using the video method rather than photos. Was attempting to get movement forward but after latest update tripod mode did not show for this flight. Watch from 1.30, not perfect as it was quite windy, but a start.
What are your camera settings [emoji106] [emoji108]

I prefer using the video mode for timelapse rather than photo.
You're only going to get 20-25 mins worth of flight time to make the timelapse anyway, so i find it easier just to video the entire thing in 4K, and speed up to get the desired effect in post.
And yes, tripod mode seems to help keep the Mavic in one position, although I also used warp stabiliser in premiere to keep the image as stable as possible.
This is probably my best effort so far.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun