DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble Unlocking Authorized Zones

theAlexanderGraham

Reactions
So today I had a bit of an interesting struggle with the DJI GEO system regarding unlocking.

Contracted to do a roof inspection within an authorization zone of a municipal airport. Airport is extremely rural and doesn't see much traffic at all.

Called tower this morning and informed them of my intentions, altitude, duration, location, etc.

Was informed that it wouldn't be an issue, and frankly they "didn't know why I was calling".

I digress, considering I was in an authorization zone, I attempted to unlock on my desktop computer this morning using the DJI "Create Unlocks" interface. Tried multiple times, received my verification code, verified with credit card, to no avail. I was never able to sync my unlocks on my WIFI connected iPad mini when originating the request from desktop.

Tried again from the iPad with the same results using the DJI Go 4 app. iPad is Wifi only, and was connected to the internet.

Finally, in a last ditch effort, I tried my iPhone 7. I was able to unlock the zone on the first attempt with DJI Go 4, and go onto my DJI go account under "more" from my iPhone 7 and see my unlocked zones.

What's the purpose of the pre-planning flights unlock from desktop system if you're seemingly unable to unlock from anything other than a device with cell service?

My iPad was unable to fly the Mavic on location, as I expected, considering it didn't sync. Fortunately I was able to use my iPhone 7.

Reactions: PROMOLOZO
I read somewhere the first time you unlock must be from cellular device. after that you can do advanced planning unlock.. don't know if it's true just what I read

Yeah I've had the same experience. I've never been able to unlock in advance from my laptop or my device. Only at the time of actually flying and from cell.

As a complete newbie, please can someone explain what function we are talking about here? I think I saw something about Geo Unlocking in the app but can't find it now.

If you can't fly on a job because if this, just send the invoice to DJI.
They'll get the message fast when everyone starts sending lost job invoices because of their selfish actions.
I see many class action lawsuits coming! Be prepared DJI to go down in flames!
I bought the Inspire and Mavic because I was told at the time what they can do. Now they can't do that. I will take them to court if they don't repeal their stupidity!

Simply turn off GEO? That solves the whole authorization zone mess.

My first attempt was to disable GEO, but that didn't work either. There is no functionality I'm aware of to flip a switch and completely disable NFZ's.

We wouldn't have any need for unlocking of any kind then, as everyone would simply operate without NFZ functionality.

If you can't fly on a job because if this, just send the invoice to DJI.
They'll get the message fast when everyone starts sending lost job invoices because of their selfish actions.
I see many class action lawsuits coming! Be prepared DJI to go down in flames!
I bought the Inspire and Mavic because I was told at the time what they can do. Now they can't do that. I will take them to court if they don't repeal their stupidity!

Perhaps if your business is solely the business of drones or aerial photography, but in my business drones are used to augment an existing process.

If it didn't work I'd be frustrated, but it wouldn't cause a lack of service to my customers or a loss of revenue.

I'm not sure what DJI has done to upset you, I've only had my Mavic for four months, but in that time it's never not performed, or not met the expectations of what I purchased it for. I've updated software within days of it being available, and only had a few minor issues I'd attribute to something with this much code inside it, or this many devices working in concert. Nothing that didn't get settled with a power cycle or hard reset.

Perhaps I'm not charging enough for my drone services to warrant taking a major international company to court over a $1000 consumer product.

Interestingly enough, when I checked my iPad later that day at the next job, I was able to update my unlocks and see my unlocked location authorized in the iPad.

It does appear that the flight needs to be made first on a device connected to cellular networks. Even allowing my iPad to hotspot to my iPhone didn't allow an unlock until the flight was first taken with my cellular device.

My first attempt was to disable GEO, but that didn't work either. There is no functionality I'm aware of to flip a switch and completely disable NFZ's.

We wouldn't have any need for unlocking of any kind then, as everyone would simply operate without NFZ functionality.
I suggested such because you specified a need to unlock areas. The authorization is handled by GEO, and has no impact on actual NFZ areas, only opens up "authorization zones".

By disabling the GEO system, you essentially are giving up the opportunity to authenticate certain Yellow and some Green zones. When you do this, the Red zones will now get larger (generally what used to be Yellow now becomes a Red zone.).

By disabling the GEO system, you essentially are giving up the opportunity to authenticate certain Yellow and some Green zones. When you do this, the Red zones will now get larger (generally what used to be Yellow now becomes a Red zone.).

This is exactly what I experienced. My situation was actually made worse by disabling GEO as it extended the NFZ.

DJI will need to change the NFZ's for part 107 remote pilots. Under the part 107, Licensed pilots are allowed to fly in class G airspace that includes private airports without notams since they are uncontrolled airports. Best practice would be to call the airport operator and notify them of activity within area. Some remote pilots also have 333 exemptions which included flying in controlled airspace. IMO DJI needs to change NFZ for part 107 pilots since they are held at a higher responsibility.

Atti mode on the Mavic has severely limited altitude if not mistaken, so this technique is not very useful.

As a complete newbie, please can someone explain what function we are talking about here? I think I saw something about Geo Unlocking in the app but can't find it now.

DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

HOW GEO WORKS

Geospatial information in GEO is categorized in one of three ways:

1. icon-green-3238d8115972a0613dcc9aef50f8f915.png

Warning Zone. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message that may be relevant to their flight.
    Example Warning Zone: A protected wildlife area.

2. icon-green-3238d8115972a0613dcc9aef50f8f915.png

Enhanced Warning Zone. In these Zones, you will be prompted by GEO at the time of flight to unlock the zone using the same steps as in an Authorization Zone, but you do not require a verified account or an internet connection at the time of your flight.
    Example Enhanced Warning Zone: A farm which is 3 miles away from a busy international airport.

3. icon-yellow-0734d70f5acffa569ee0b3218572aa4e.png

Authorization Zone. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.
    Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.

4. icon-red-825751458c9a1d1d86ad32382176de5d.png

Restricted Zone. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact [email protected]
    Example Restricted Zone: Washington D.C.
The GEO system is advisory only. Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features due to an abundance of caution or technical reasons. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to their flight.

Looks like using my cellular device is going to be the best move going forward.

Brought the issue up with DJI chat support and there's definitely a language barrier at play.

The kept insisting that I couldn't unlock anything without emailing [email protected], regardless of how many times I tried to say I didn't want access to a restricted zone, just an authorization zone.

Then they went on to explain that I needed to download DJI Go on my iPad mini in order to fly the Mavic and unlock zones.

Like I'd somehow been flying this thing for months without any kind of device connected......

I've received better tech support from Comcast.

I had an issue ( 2x over last 3 days), with trying to fly in the outer green Enhanced Warning Zone, about 5.5 Km from a very small Municipal Airport. The first time, I was inside the zone by about .5 km and was prompted to tick one of two boxes and agree to Term and Conditions for the DJIGo4 App. That took me to a very long document but I could not find an "accept" button. Went back to the Fly screen and the warning was there and could not be dismissed as the "agree" or "accept" button was Greyed out. I flew with it superimposed just to see if I could for a few minutes.

Today I went outside the Enhanced Warning Zone by about 300 meters and rose to 30 meters and flew toward the zone to see what would happen. When I "Crossed the Line" so to speak, I got the pop up warning again and could not dismiss, accept or override it. Had to fly back with the warning superimposed again, land and shut off controller and app to clear it.

What, if anything am I doing wrong??

Reactions: dewster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots