DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two Mavic´s same problem - picture tilting when flying

The Mavic Pro

Reactions
So i got a replacement from DJI and guess what...same exact problem as the first one. Im so tired at this piece of crap.
Is this considered normal or why does it appear in both two Mavic´s i have had?
The horizon is tilting sideways (Roll) when i start flying sideways with the Mavic or when the Mavic comes to a stop after a sideways flying.
The wind speed on this latest video recording was only 3 m/s (6.5 mph), so surely it can't be that.

Also this new Mavic has problems when using manual tilt with the remote control gimbal wheel, the video is very jerky. Ive tried all the gimbal settings in the GO app 4, and gimbal calibration.

With the other tilting problem I've tried everything possible on the first Mavic, so i doubt anything of those things will work on this Mavic.

Is this normal behavior or what? Any suggestions are welcome.
I tried downgrading and upgrading and did all of the different calibrations on the first Mavic, and did all calibrations on this last one as well and upgraded to the latest firmware.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. Its like at the end of the sideways stroke it tilts the gimbal in the flying direction of the Mavic when it should be compensating for that movement and tilting the gimbal in the opposite direction of sideways travel to compensate and keep the gimbal perfectly level.

Thats weird. I have not tested this aspect with my Mavic. I seem to recall a setting that may influence this.

Can you check under _Touch Remote Control Icon Then look at the Gimbal Pitch Smoothness setting. What is it currently set at?
Also is Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow turned on?

Also - Make sure Gimbal Mode is set to Follow and not FPV. It looks like it is set for FPV .

Last edited:
+1 on the follow vs. FPV. Thought I would think the rolling, yawing, and pitching would be much more visible if it was on FPV. Mine does not exhibit these symptoms. I am interested, however interested in the 'twitching' you're reporting while using the tilt wheel. Did you demonstrate that in either of your videos above?

My MP was also just replaced in Carson, and the repair order indicated they replaced the "gimbal control board" - whatever that means. Between that and the latest firmware (which my TBE-experiencing old MP did not have), I thought perhaps it has something to do with that.

See if your twitching is any worse than mine. Mine is barely visible. Pay close attention:

+1 on the follow vs. FPV. Thought I would think the rolling, yawing, and pitching would be much more visible if it was on FPV. Mine does not exhibit these symptoms. I am interested, however interested in the 'twitching' you're reporting while using the tilt wheel. Did you demonstrate that in either of your videos above?

My MP was also just replaced in Carson, and the repair order indicated they replaced the "gimbal control board" - whatever that means. Between that and the latest firmware (which my TBE-experiencing old MP did not have), I thought perhaps it has something to do with that.

See if your twitching is any worse than mine. Mine is barely visible. Pay close attention:

Whoa. That almost looks like it's snagging on something. Is it possible the gimbal has popped above one or more of the three limiting tabs? If you're not really careful when putting on and removing the gimbal lock, it could be bumped out of position. Worth a look anyway.

I see what you mean. Its like at the end of the sideways stroke it tilts the gimbal in the flying direction of the Mavic when it should be compensating for that movement and tilting the gimbal in the opposite direction of sideways travel to compensate and keep the gimbal perfectly level.

Thats weird. I have not tested this aspect with my Mavic. I seem to recall a setting that may influence this.

Can you check under _Touch Remote Control Icon Then look at the Gimbal Pitch Smoothness setting. What is it currently set at?
Also is Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow turned on?

Also - Make sure Gimbal Mode is set to Follow and not FPV. It looks like it is set for FPV .

Yes thats exactly how it behaves, do you have that behavior as well?

On the first Mavic i had i tried everything possible, including all the settings for the gimbal, for example "pitch smoothness" and "Enable synchronized gimbal pan follow", and the gimbal is set on "Follow", in "FPV" it gets even much worse but in FPV thats normal.

The twitching on the tilt wheel is not included in the video, mine is a bit less than yours but very much visible, it ruins the video recordings.

Its always some problems with DJI products, always, I'm so tired of this company, they can't do anything right.
The ask for big bucks and then deliver faulty products, and not one time but two times.

I don't know what I'm going to do now, i really wanted the Mavic because of its size, but there is no chance that i can keep it when the video recordings turns out the way it does.

Whoa. That almost looks like it's snagging on something. Is it possible the gimbal has popped above one or more of the three limiting tabs? If you're not really careful when putting on and removing the gimbal lock, it could be bumped out of position. Worth a look anyway.

No thats one of the hundred things i have checked. I can't come up with anything that i haven't tried or checked.
But if somebody has any more ideas then I'm willing to try it.

That's perfectly normal. Just don't give full stick input in one go like that, if you fly smoothly as you would if you wanted nice images you won't see a thing.

That is NOT normal. That's horrible. The one clip he's just hovering then slowly yaws and the video looks like an earthquake.
No thats one of the hundred things i have checked. I can't come up with anything that i haven't tried or checked.
But if somebody has any more ideas then I'm willing to try it.

What about other settings. How stable is the bird itself when it's hovering. Have you tried calibrating everything? Compass, IMU, stick, gimbal. Then there are these other settings:

That is NOT normal. That's horrible. The one clip he's just hovering then slowly yaws and the video looks like an earthquake.
Uh you're looking at another video, the one I referred from OP never yaws (apart from hin placing the aircraft how he wants it at the beginning...), he just gives full left/right sideways movement stick inputs and his complaint is that the gimbal horizon tilts slightly.

Someone else posted a video of a completely broken one after that as an esample but that's unrelated and kinda off topic.

Uh you're looking at another video, the one I referred from OP never yaws (apart from hin placing the aircraft how he wants it at the beginning...), he just gives full left/right sideways movement stick inputs and his complaint is that the gimbal horizon tilts slightly.

Someone else posted a video of a completely broken one after that as an esample but that's unrelated and kinda off topic.

Ohhhhhhh. Oops. Lol. Ignore everything I said then :)

I´m pretty sure its not because I'm not carful enough with the sticks.
Since this happens regardless how smooth and slow i fly, obviously less visible then but still there. I can not find any way of flying without it being visible to some degree.

Ive seen plenty of videos online without any of this kind of problems, even people flying the Mavic in heavy winds without this problem. In one of my videos the winds was non existent.

I also see other problems, its all over the place, for example when the Mavic is hovering the small movements of the Mavic is visible in the recordings, its not perfectly still, and as i said there is no winds to talk about.
And in this video the horizon looks tilted all the time, but that can probably be fixed so thats probably not the most important issue right now.

I have tried gimbal cal, IMU cal, different gimbal settings in the GO 4 app, etc.

Last edited:
Since this happens regardless how smooth and slow i fly, obviously less visible then but still there. I can not find any way of flying without it being visible to some degree.

Ive seen plenty of videos online without any of this kind of problems, even people flying the Mavic in heavy winds without this problem. In this video the wind was almost non existent.
Take a look at this video where i fly in Tripod mode, the first about 1:10 minutes of the video is in Tripod mode, the rest is in normal mode:

Second Mavic- problem-Tripod mode etc (konverterad).mov

I also see other problems, its all over the place, for example when the Mavic is hovering the small movements of the Mavic is visible in the recordings, its not perfectly still, and as i said there is no winds to talk about.
And in this video the horizon looks tilted all the time, but that can probably be fixed so thats probably not the most important issue right now.

I have tried gimbal cal, IMU cal, different gimbal settings in the GO 4 app, etc.

@The Mavic Pro, I made a short flight to test what you're seeing. And I've got to retract what I said before. I DO actually see a similar roll when I move side-to-side with the MP. It's subtle, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it without you pointing it out. I had a friend do the same for me with the DLP "rainbow effect" on projection TVs and projectors... I was fine until he pointed it out. Now I can't NOT see it. Fortunately with this, I'm apparently not sensitive to it, as it doesn't seem to bother me.

My Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 did the same exact thing, I just slowly control the left and right movements and they're barely noticeable. With my my Mavic, I barely notice it unless if I'm not careful with the left/right movements and I'm 'hunting' for it in my footage. It's the inertia from quick change of direction with the gimbal resisting in order to maintain stabilization, I don't think anything will fix it. It's just something you can minimize and hope future technology can mitigate it.

Okay so you consider it normal then?
Since it happens even in Tripod mode as you can see in the above video, but to a lesser degree.

And what i think is strange is that if this were normal why does it happen only on my Mavic´s, i own the Inspire 1 and this doesn't happen even if i fly very violently or in hard winds.
My P2 or the P3P i owned earlier didn't do that either, as a matter of fact i have never flown a drone that did this, but all of a sudden it happens on both two Mavic´s.

Let me ask you people, do you get this type of tilting when you start flying sideways with full stick input?

Can this issue even be corrected in editing?

What is the best settings for a smooth flight? I don't think it will help but at least i can try.

Last edited:
@The Mavic Pro, I made a short flight to test what you're seeing. And I've got to retract what I said before. I DO actually see a similar roll when I move side-to-side with the MP. It's subtle, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it without you pointing it out. I had a friend do the same for me with the DLP "rainbow effect" on projection TVs and projectors... I was fine until he pointed it out. Now I can't NOT see it. Fortunately with this, I'm apparently not sensitive to it, as it doesn't seem to bother me.

Thanks. Maybe your Mavic have less of that problem than my Mavic?
Since some people say the have not that on their Mavic´s and a couple have said they have it.

When you tested your Mavic and saw this same thing very subtle, did you fly carefully or did you give full stick input?

Tripod mode only changes full scale speed, I don't think it adjsuts acceleration. So if you give full stick it will still tilt just as fast and abruptly to reach the target speed even if it's lower.

Again either be smooth on the sticks, and/or adjust the stick filtering / braking settings on the craft to be smoother.

Unfortunately i tried that as well, i tried changing the braking and attitude and gain etc. The stick settings i didn't change though.
And the problem was not only when it came to a stop but also when it started flying sideways.
Its true that the tilting was less visible when i was flying more slowly and carefully but i could never get rid of it all together. And i think I've tried just about everything.
Maybe thats normal for the Mavic but regardless of if it is normal or not that is not acceptable for me since i couldn't get rid of it all together.

And the question still remains...why doesn't that happen on all my other drones like the Inspire 1 or the Phantom 2, or the other drones I've been owning like the Phantom 3 and others??
Is it because of the Mavic's smaller gimbal?

Anyway, i returned the Mavic and will continue using my Inspire 1 for now.
Maybe i buy the Mavic later if i can find a way to not get this tilted horizon?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Ihad an issue where when I turned the horizon would be way tilted and then slowly re level after like 5 seconds or so. I was quite upset as well and called DJI. They were not much help.

I ended up resetting both the controller and bird to factory settings and downloading the old firmware and it fixed the problem for me. I get the odd jerky movement now from the gimble (I've been flying in cold weather though).

I am going to download the new firmware again and see if the problem returns

Ive seen plenty of videos online without any of this kind of problems, even people flying the Mavic in heavy winds without this problem. In this video the wind was almost non existent.
Take a look at this video where i fly in Tripod mode, the first about 1:10 minutes of the video is in Tripod mode, the rest is in normal mode:

Second Mavic- problem-Tripod mode etc (konverterad).mov

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for gimbal control board replacement?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+