DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two violent snaps when camera is doing it's startup sequence.

Marc Hufnagel

Reactions
A friend of mine just got his mavic proi today and wanted me to help him set it up - no problem.

Charged the controller, battery, turned it on and with the gimbal clamp off it made two pretty loud and violent snaps, one right after power on and the other towards the end of the init sequence for the camera.

Mine does nothing like this - it makes some clicks and all but nothing like this. All 4 rubber bands are on the gimbal tabs and the gimbal plate is under the tab on the back of it.

Picture seems to be in focus correctly and camera works ok, tilt wheel works but this has me thinking 'defective out of the box'. For his happiness I hope not.

Reactions: Daniel3257
I've had 3 different Mavics and one of them did pretty much what you describe, it sounded like it was clipping the frame when initialising but it worked absolutely fine so I don't believe your friend has an issue here.. Maybe just keep an eye on it but if it works fine I wouldn't worry.

It might not be damaging but when some do it and some don't... I really have to wonder about the QC on these. Birds coming out of the box with compass errors, blurred/soft areas of focus on L/R, snapping gimbals, cameras not pointing straight ahead and of course the infamous tilted horizon. I'm well aware of doing IMU calibrations, firmware refreshes and gimbal roll adjustments. Of the birds I've had (see below), the only thing that would cure those issues was an exchange.

I had to exchange three myself at Microcenter before I got one that didn't have a focus problem or camera that wasn't pointing straight ahead.

He waited about two weeks on this so it's his choice but I did tell him I'd not keep one that snapped that violently on startup when he can see mine that doesn't do it.

Has he upgraded firmware? Pretty sure that behavior was changed at some point with an update.

I helped him upgrade it as part of the setup. I see there is a new release this AM too.

Mine did this from new, for a few Times but as not done it for a while... that said I have done 2 updates!!

I found out what it was - the front ring of the camera it is hitting the little L-shaped tab that the gimbal plate goes under.

That's a no-fix. Can't see what might be wrong from mine to his; they look identical.

Is the gimble plate not supposed to sit on top of that little l shaped bracket? Rather than under.

well depends on which way you are holding it. if the bird is in battery-up position, that tab should be below the gimbal plate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11