DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAE and Dubai rules and regulations

Abs

Reactions
I got delivery of my Mavic Pro yesterday. I've just done the registration online with GCAA, tomorrow I will go down with the originals to present and collect the authorisation certificate.

Has anyone else done this in Dubai? The DCAA website says I need a certificate from Sanad Academy but the GCAA don't state this. I'm thinking the GCAA will over rule the DCAA as its for the whole of the UAE not just Dubai.

Does any have any information or experience about this?

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-15_16-19-59.png
    upload_2016-11-15_16-19-59.png
    846 KB · Views: 166
How did this go? I'm visiting Dubai as a pit stop for a few days next week with my mavic, I have no intentions of flying but I am reading drones with cameras are illegal in Dubai. I'm worried about issues with customs

The registration from GCAA was simple. No issues at all.

Was told the airport staff will make their own rules. You should be fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

thanks! So no issues with the fact the drone has a camera attached ? Have you tried going thru customs with it?

Also for registration, how much was it? I registered online as a precaution and it said I need to go to the office but I really have no plans to fly, I just want safe passage for my drone till my next stop.

I haven't been through customs with it. But the guy said it shouldn't be an issue. At the end of the day they sell them here. It shouldn't be an issue.

The registration is free. So simple and worthwhile doing just to be on the safe side.

If you're not actually staying or living in Dubai I doubt you'll get any issues. The guys in customs may stop you and ask you but if you explain it calmly they'll be fine.

Reactions: Boi222
I haven't been through customs with it. But the guy said it shouldn't be an issue. At the end of the day they sell them here. It shouldn't be an issue.

The registration is free. So simple and worthwhile doing just to be on the safe side.

If you're not actually staying or living in Dubai I doubt you'll get any issues. The guys in customs may stop you and ask you but if you explain it calmly they'll be fine.

Cool. Many thanks !!!!

Hi. Just joined the group and trying to find other fellow pilots in UAE I found this thread. I bought a phantom 2 with camera few months ago went to Colombia with the drone as checked baggage on a hard case and came back with no issues. Now I have the Mavic and just got approval from GCAA.

Reactions: SilicaStorm
Hi Abs, hello from another to be pilot from abu dhabi. Good to have made your acquaintance.

Lot of information collected today about regulation on Drones in UAE:

I recommend you to follow these 3 steps:
1) Register in Sanad Academy for a 3 hours training/certification for hobbyist approved by Dubai Civil Aviation authority for AED350. around 90USD. SANAD ACADEMY the training include a lot of information about law and it is a good place to ask questions (about using cameras, and all these doubts) and meet people already flying in UAE. they will also provide airworthiness certificate for your drone and for additional fee you can register more than 1 drone.
2) Register your drone at DCAA. https://www.dcaa.gov.ae/Files/DCAAFLYERA6V4.pdf
Based on this flyer you should be able to fly with cameras in Dubai as long as you respect privacy.
3) Register your drone at GCAA (General Civil Aviation for the entire country). With this you should be able to fly in the rest of the country. https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/pages/UASRegistration.aspx
For the rest of the country, it looks like cameras are no-no. but this is something I will ask during my training/certification at Sanad in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Diego

Lot of information collected today about regulation on Drones in UAE:

I recommend you to follow these 3 steps:
1) Register in Sanad Academy for a 3 hours training/certification for hobbyist approved by Dubai Civil Aviation authority for AED350. around 90USD. SANAD ACADEMY the training include a lot of information about law and it is a good place to ask questions (about using cameras, and all these doubts) and meet people already flying in UAE. they will also provide airworthiness certificate for your drone and for additional fee you can register more than 1 drone.
2) Register your drone at DCAA. https://www.dcaa.gov.ae/Files/DCAAFLYERA6V4.pdf
Based on this flyer you should be able to fly with cameras in Dubai as long as you respect privacy.
3) Register your drone at GCAA (General Civil Aviation for the entire country). With this you should be able to fly in the rest of the country. Registration
For the rest of the country, it looks like cameras are no-no. but this is something I will ask during my training/certification at Sanad in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Diego

Hi salernod ,

I was planning to get a mavic pro in Dubai . Eagerly waiting to read about your experience including the details of expenses .

The GCAA is the federal governing body. They told me I do not need to do the DCAA registration if I have the GCAA certificate as they over rule the DCAA.

I think the Sanad academy is a rip off, seems like a money making scheme to me plus they only do the course during working hours in the week. Who wants to take time off work to go do a drone course that's not actually needed?

My opinion, don't bother with DCAA and get the GCAA certificate. It's free to register and over rules the DCAA.

The guys there will explain the rules to you and give you a information booklet. Plus tell you about the GCAA drone app for your smart phone to ensure you know where he no fly zones are.

Reactions: penguin
The GCAA is the federal governing body. They told me I do not need to do the DCAA registration if I have the GCAA certificate as they over rule the DCAA.

I think the Sanad academy is a rip off, seems like a money making scheme to me plus they only do the course during working hours in the week. Who wants to take time off work to go do a drone course that's not actually needed?

My opinion, don't bother with DCAA and get the GCAA certificate. It's free to register and over rules the DCAA.

The guys there will explain the rules to you and give you a information booklet. Plus tell you about the GCAA drone app for your smart phone to ensure you know where he no fly zones are.

Thanks for the post
I am confused here . somehow i made up my mind to spend a fortune on a hobby but the rules are pulling me back.I look forward to read more about the experience of getting it registered and the expenses involved in it.

Hey guys I got my GCAA certificate today. As I was looking for the information below, I know it would be useful to the people on my level.

Here is my experience with it:

1) I signed up online on the GCAA website. Which included me signing up on the website and then adding a drone to my profile.

2) Once the above was over, I got an email from GCAA to come collect the certificate from dubai office after showing the originals I submitted with the application (Emirates ID, Visa copy, picture of drone), I went to the GCAA office behind carrefour airport road instead.

3) My certificate was not ready at that branch, lady at reception spoke to the dubai office who then asked me to mail the GCAA common mail to send my certificate to Abu Dhabi. Once I did that I received a confirmation mail, stating that they will notify me once its ready for pickup. Took them 2 days + 2 days weekend to get it to Abu Dhabi. And I picked it up today showing them nothing but my Emirates ID.

All above was Free of cost :)

To my disappointment, it was nothing but a piece of paper with all the information I typed in while registering on a stamped company letter head.

I hope this information helps as now I feel more confident to fly higher. Not to mention that i have flow to a height of 121m without it :) and I have total of 43 "test" flights already :D

Hey guys I got my GCAA certificate today. As I was looking for the information below, I know it would be useful to the people on my level.

Here is my experience with it:

1) I signed up online on the GCAA website. Which included me signing up on the website and then adding a drone to my profile.

2) Once the above was over, I got an email from GCAA to come collect the certificate from dubai office after showing the originals I submitted with the application (Emirates ID, Visa copy, picture of drone), I went to the GCAA office behind carrefour airport road instead.

3) My certificate was not ready at that branch, lady at reception spoke to the dubai office who then asked me to mail the GCAA common mail to send my certificate to Abu Dhabi. Once I did that I received a confirmation mail, stating that they will notify me once its ready for pickup. Took them 2 days + 2 days weekend to get it to Abu Dhabi. And I picked it up today showing them nothing but my Emirates ID.

All above was Free of cost :)

To my disappointment, it was nothing but a piece of paper with all the information I typed in while registering on a stamped company letter head.

I hope this information helps as now I feel more confident to fly higher. Not to mention that i have flow to a height of 121m without it :) and I have total of 43 "test" flights already :D

Congrats brother.

So just to re confirm :
You don't have to go for the sanad right ?
Just go get it registered in GCAA website and then proceed to collect the certificate .
Cool.

Hi all. I have don't the gcaa registration twice. Once for each drone I have. If you read the terms and conditions in the certificate it clearly say that your drone should not have any camera. The DCAA certificate still allows you to carry a camera in Dubai. The sanad training is only 350 Dhs but it is a requirement for the DCAA certificate. If this is all true,and I'll ask the questions during the training, they you can freely fly your drone almost in any place in Dubai with your camera.

Also the sanad training might help you to engage with other pilots in uae. I'm planning to get into the drone racing community so this will be a good starting point. I have scheduled my appointment a day that I already had a leave day planned for something else.

Hi all. I have don't the gcaa registration twice. Once for each drone I have. If you read the terms and conditions in the certificate it clearly say that your drone should not have any camera. The DCAA certificate still allows you to carry a camera in Dubai. The sanad training is only 350 Dhs but it is a requirement for the DCAA certificate. If this is all true,and I'll ask the questions during the training, they you can freely fly your drone almost in any place in Dubai with your camera.

Keep us updated please.

Im sure though since they are making money off Sanad certificate, they are bound to say "Yes" when you ask them "if i have a gcaa registration, do i need dcaa registration"

Not bad mouthing but seriously, they did not take this registration seriously, as its mentioned in the T&C's below on the registration issued "Not to fly unless registered under GCAA" but come on is this not the registration you just issued GCAA guys. :D

Getting to the point GCAA is above DCAA to my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilotsView attachment 4224

Last edited:
960492cadc3ddb95a0bbe261779cdb68.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji