DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAE and Dubai rules and regulations

Just for a laugh, signed up to the academy. Got my 3hrs, 3 modules on the Feb15th. Anyone joining me [emoji51]
Back to school.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Just for a laugh, signed up to the academy. Got my 3hrs, 3 modules on the Feb15th. Anyone joining me [emoji51]
Back to school.

Please note that 3 hours are only for testing. This is not a training session. It is just the final evaluation. So you have to study yourself the material they will send you via email. That is something you can learn in 1 hour at home. If you are planning on using the mavic make sure you are familiarized with the drone controls and have experience flying it.

Reactions: Cmw1100
Please note that 3 hours are only for testing. This is not a training session. It is just the final evaluation. So you have to study yourself the material they will send you via email. That is something you can learn in 1 hour at home. If you are planning on using the mavic make sure you are familiarized with the drone controls and have experience flying it.

Oh really. Cheers for the heads up. They haven't sent me anything yet.

Buon giorno,

Vorrei avere informazioni per registrare un Drone Pro Mavic, per uso privato e in vacanza.

Io visitare Dubai, Abu Dhabi e Oman.

Sono un cittadino italiano.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la risposta che vorrete darmi.

I migliori saluti.

Ciao,

I don't speak Italian although my last name in Italian but since I speak Spanish I can understand most of Italian.

For Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Oman there are different registrations. For Dubai you need to attend an exam. For Abu Dhabi you don't but you can't fly with cameras. For Oman I heard they just don't allow drones but I'm not 100% sure about it. In any case, if you are planning to fly your drone here better do it in the desert far from the cities and airports. There is an app called UAE drones which tells you the non flying zone areas.

Hello,

I'm looking for good quality Dubai footage to buy.
Please contact me by PM if you have.

Best,
Bob

Got my GCAA registration, took less than 24 hours.

Does anyone know how long the DCAA registration takes? My application has shown as 'pending' for three days now.

Got my GCAA registration, took less than 24 hours.

Does anyone know how long the DCAA registration takes? My application has shown as 'pending' for three days now.
Hi Dan,

Did you receive it yet? I applied for mine the day I passed the test at the academy (13th March) and it was finally approved after 8 days and 2 phone calls. The email said I couldn't collect until 30th but when I contacted them again they said it can be collected anytime but wasn't valid until the 30th which seems a v strange rule.
Heading to T1 to collect it tomorrow, in the interim, I've been speaking to the academy about their open day this Friday and to confirm the camera usage.
See below email......

"I would like to provide you more information regarding the concerns you have. As per General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA), the drone operator is not allowed to fly the drone with a camera, and that is only GCAA, which covers all UAE except Dubai. As per Dubai Civil Aviation Authority (DCAA), if you are a licensed pilot, you are allowed to fly your drone with its camera, and you are allowed to take pictures and videos for your personal use, without invading anyone's privacy, or flying in a No Fly Zone. But please mind that it is only in Dubai Emirate, and it is not applicable anywhere else in UAE."

Earlier posts suggest you only need register with GCAA and not worry with the academy and DCAA, this is true if not using your drone in Dubai otherwise, it seems you'd lose the argument if caught flying without a DCAA licence in Dubai itself.

Hope that helps

Hi everyone,

been to Sanad to take the pilot certificate. They also agree that there are still grey areas regarding legislation. But the clear things are as follows other guys have posted before:

- GCAA certificate is valid for all emirates but Dubai. It does not overrule DCAA. Take into account that as it is today, you are not able to carry a camera on your drone as per GCAA, and this is stated on your Certificate.
- DCAA is valid only for Dubai emirate, and it does allow you to carry a camera on board.
- Red/green areas are a NO FLY for all hobbyists! Red is NONO for everyone, and green is flyable for commercial pilots WITH specific permission to fly on a certain day, and record certain things. Those permissions are expensive and take time, so unless you are planning to get a nice income from your footage, don't think that would pay off.

Now, for those flying in Dubai, there are two academies which issue the courses, one is Sanad and the other is Exponent. I have been to Sanad.

The first step is go into Sanad's website, and register for the course. They will send you two PDF's. One of them contains the laws and the other general RPAS knowledge, and are the ones you need to study for the exam BEFORE you go to Sanad. There is no theory course as such. Once you arrive there, you pay the fees, take the theory exam on a computer, flight simulator as long as you need, and then flight exam.

The theory is pretty straight forward, will take you between 10 mins to an hour to memorise all depending on how much you know by now. Take into account that the exam has a couple of questions about fines and inprisonment, so don't overlook that data.

The flight exam has you take off, and move the drone forward and back, right and left, with the drone facing different directions. All this without looking at the camera. It is basic situational awareness.

It took me a lot less than those 3 hours to leave with my certificate. Once you have it, you can go and register your drone with the DCAA. They will issue a pilot card in about 1-2 weeks time.

Those going to Sanad, be aware that is kind of tricky to find it, you have to pass through a metallic fence. The location on Google maps is very accurate, so just follow it, don't get distracted by the fence.

Hope this helps!

Safe flights to all.

Reactions: sumesh
Hi everyone,

New Mavic pilot here :)

Just got my registration from GCAA. Also asked them about flying in Dubai and having to be registered at DCAA. This is the quote from them: "Yes you can use our certificate to fly your drone in Dubai, our certificate give the permition to use the drone in each city in UAE"

Cheers

Reactions: rOMania
Hi everyone,

New Mavic pilot here :)

Just got my registration from GCAA. Also asked them about flying in Dubai and having to be registered at DCAA. This is the quote from them: "Yes you can use our certificate to fly your drone in Dubai, our certificate give the permition to use the drone in each city in UAE"

Cheers
Good news!!!

If I understand, I can fly my drone every where in UAE and also use my camera in Dubaï emirate.
I plan to buy a new gimball cover that I will paint it black for my next fly sessions in AD.

Is the quote from oral talking or written?

Hi guys,

Should I register my Mavic Drone with GCAA or DCAA? I'm going for a week holiday to Dubai in August and would like to fly my drone at the desert.

Can we fly at the burj park near burj Khalifa & The Palm near Atlantis?

Hi guys,

Should I register my Mavic Drone with GCAA or DCAA? I'm going for a week holiday to Dubai in August and would like to fly my drone at the desert.

Can we fly at the burj park near burj Khalifa & The Palm near Atlantis?

Register your drone with GCAA it's free for the whole UAE (not only in DubaÏ).
For the location where you can fly with your Mavik, just install the "UAE Drone Fly Zone Map" application.
Remember that you can't use the camera outside Dubaï emirate.

Register your drone with GCAA it's free for the whole UAE (not only in DubaÏ).
For the location where you can fly with your Mavik, just install the "UAE Drone Fly Zone Map" application.
Remember that you can't use the camera outside Dubaï emirate.
Thanks for the info. So my mavic can fly in Dubai but not outside of Dubai? Due to camera issue??

Hi Dan,

Did you receive it yet? I applied for mine the day I passed the test at the academy (13th March) and it was finally approved after 8 days and 2 phone calls. The email said I couldn't collect until 30th but when I contacted them again they said it can be collected anytime but wasn't valid until the 30th which seems a v strange rule.
Heading to T1 to collect it tomorrow, in the interim, I've been speaking to the academy about their open day this Friday and to confirm the camera usage.
See below email......

"I would like to provide you more information regarding the concerns you have. As per General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA), the drone operator is not allowed to fly the drone with a camera, and that is only GCAA, which covers all UAE except Dubai. As per Dubai Civil Aviation Authority (DCAA), if you are a licensed pilot, you are allowed to fly your drone with its camera, and you are allowed to take pictures and videos for your personal use, without invading anyone's privacy, or flying in a No Fly Zone. But please mind that it is only in Dubai Emirate, and it is not applicable anywhere else in UAE."

Earlier posts suggest you only need register with GCAA and not worry with the academy and DCAA, this is true if not using your drone in Dubai otherwise, it seems you'd lose the argument if caught flying without a DCAA licence in Dubai itself.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the help.
Finally got my DCAA rego today. Took 5+ weeks to process for some reason, not sure why. I guess my security check may have taken a little longer maybe(?). I have been to some dodgy countries (Syria, Yemen, Mogadishu etc.). Anyway, finally legal to fly:).

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0