DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV forecast says good to fly?

Lifted Chevy

Reactions
The app says it's good to fly and no no fly zone near by. Funny thing is I'm next to Miramar and I see F18's and attack helicopters flying low. Now I'm not gonna fly but why on earth is this not a No fly zone? Just wondering if anyone has encountered this before.

Reactions: phagerman and Rbruz
I can not imagine why it is not a no fly zone. Between being an airport AND military. Sounds like it would be a cool area to see the jets tho.

IMG_7622.JPG
I can not imagine why it is not a no fly zone. Between being an airport AND military. Sounds like it would be a cool area to see the jets tho.
Right? It is cool to see the jets and helicopters right over my head.

It's probably like Yuma, Az. where a lot of traffic , choppers and fixed wing alike, approach at 200-300 from ten+ miles out. If I hadn't heard them coming, I could have got great footage from above them and I was at 350' agl

Do you live there?
I'm from Los Angeles so I'm here working for the week. Getting that urge to fly so maybe by the beach would be better. I'm guessing if a military jet spots me I'll be on the news haha. I try to stay off the governments radar after serving for the Navy.

It's not like the good old days when Maverick raced them on his Honda Hurricane. [emoji23]
Thanks for you service for what it's worth. I would think even flying around the beaches could be a pain in the *** there.?

Last edited:
It's not like the good old days when Maverick raced them on his Honda Hurricane. [emoji23]
Thanks for you service for what it's worth. I would think even flying around the beaches could be a pain in the *** there.?
Thanks bud. Yeah the beaches are dicey also. Cops fly helicopters at 200 feet off the coast to check out the lady's and I would hate to piss them off.

I live in Colorado and would say it's better here, but to many Californians have come and are changing things so much, it's time to get out. Man how things change...

I live in Colorado and would say it's better here, but to many Californians have come and are changing things so much, it's time to get out. Man how things change...
Colorado is beautiful. I worked for a contractor that had me in Colorado Springs and Trinidad. Loved it.

I flew fighters there and at Yuma for a number of years.
I have no idea what any app tells you, but if you are within five miles, you are in controlled airspace.

The app says it's good to fly and no no fly zone near by. Funny thing is I'm next to Miramar and I see F18's and attack helicopters flying low. Now I'm not gonna fly but why on earth is this not a No fly zone? Just wondering if anyone has encountered this before.

I believe that the "Good To Fly" only refers to the weather conditions.
Note at the bottom of the screen it has a "2" by the word Map. That refers to the two air fields near me and are NFZ's. IMG_1385.JPG

And the sectional shows the area Miramar is in is controlled from the surface to 10,000'.
Between San Diego airport, Miramar and North Island, the entire area is controlled.

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
IMG_7624.PNG IMG_7623.PNG
I believe that the "Good To Fly" only refers to the weather conditions.
Note at the bottom of the screen it has a "2" by the word Map. That refers to the two air fields near me and are NFZ's. View attachment 15534
I agree with you but my map shows no no-fly zone near me. Here is another spot and it doesn't say anything. I'm guessing the DJI Go wouldn't let me fly but I have used this app to check spots I'd like to fly at but now I may not trust it. Oh and see the base runways. No big red spot lol.

* Note Ok I checked the settings and small and medium airport was off. I do see it now but it's still not listed as a no fly zone. Maybe it's like Area 51 and doesn't exist.

Last edited:
View attachment 15541 View attachment 15540
I agree with you but my map shows no no-fly zone near me. Here is another spot and it doesn't say anything. I'm guessing the DJI Go wouldn't let me fly but I have used this app to check spots I'd like to fly at but now I may not trust it. Oh and see the base runways. No big red spot lol.

* Note Ok I checked the settings and small and medium airport was off. I do see it now but it's still not listed as a no fly zone. Maybe it's like Area 51 and doesn't exist.

You cracked me up with the Area 51 thing. I am 70 years old and remember Life magazine articles about Roswell, New Mexico and Area 51 which I thought was there.
So anyway, Edwards Air Force Base, Roswell New Mexico and Miramar are all marked NFZ's with my version of UAV Forecast. Go figure!
IMG_1386.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty