DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uk Airspace rules - class c

minijay123

Reactions
Hi All

im new to drones and the mavic pro so please be gentle :)

ive recently been flying locally at low level so i can get used to the bird, i have used my back garden (which is long) and also a local play ground (was totally empty)

i know about the caa rules about being 50 meters away from people and 150 away from buildings which is fine i have mine set to 30 meters max altitude as im still learning and dont like the idea of it being to far away from me at the moment.

my problem is that i use the drone assist app which tells me im ok to fly in this area but the DJI app tells me im in a class c airspace. which do i believe.. there is a small airfield nearby which isnt used often so i assume DJI just put a 5 mile zone around every airport or airfield they spot on a map, again this is fine..

am i able to fly in this class c space as long as im under a certain altitude or must i get permission from the local airfield.. the reason i ask is ive tried to contact them but to no avail at the moment.

the area shows up as a class d 2500ft - 3500ft and a class a 3500ft to FL195 both of which i have no intention of getting anywhere near (this is for the approach to a larger airport not to far way.)

im just trying to get my head round it all so to make sure i fly safe and that everyone that needs to know is told to prevent any issues.. i dont plan on doing anything high level i believe we are allowed to go to 400ft but i dont think my heart would take that height so would say 200 would be my max until i got used to it and found an area where i know that height isnt an issue..

im just after some advise really.. i have read so many pages and guides and nothing really clears anything up. then there is getting permission to fly the thing over peoples land (farm land away from people machinery etc) seems no one like them being anywhere near them.

Kind regards

Jay

There appears to be an issue with classification here.
You stated it was telling you the area is in class C airspace.
In UK airspace classification, Class C is from Flight level 195 to FL 245.
(The term flight level refers to airspace where the altimeter is set to international standard of 29.92 or 1013.2 mb instead of local barometric pressure).
There is absolutely no issue with that in your case.

In the US, Class C is an airport traffic area with an operating control tower, and extends from the geographic center of the airport to 5 statute miles, and from the ground to 4000', and that is controlled airspace requiring an OK.
It sounds like that is what the DJI app is telling you.

The class D you say it shows up as makes sense as well, and shouldn't effect you, but is controlled airspace.

My suspicion is that the DJI app is telling you you are in an airport traffic area, but the class C makes no sense at all.
Best thing is to head over to the airport and find someone to talk to if you can't get in touch with them via phone.
I expect you're OK.

Hi Ascension

Many thanks for getting back to me.. i think ill need to take a drive up there and see who is about.. i have asked (via email) if i would be allowed to fly up there when they are not expecting anyone in or out as it seems the obvious choice to not annoy any members of the public and airspace wouldn't be an issue, they could soon shout out if they were expecting someone to come in and i could either move to the side or land to prevent any potential issues until they are out of the way..

i even said i would have insurance up to 5 mill but would be happy to get a larger cover if that was what would help with the conditions but still no answer.. as i say i dont think its a manned field so im guessing the people that come in and out just use VFR and land if they see its clear, are you allowed to do that, i would have thought a flight plan would need to be logged so that the flight can move from take off to the destination but i dont know anything about planes so maybe over complicating it :)

i have called altitude angel (people behind drone assist) but i havnt had any answer, they said they would get back to me in a few days.. i didnt think it was a difficult question and i was thinking this app would be the one to trust as they work with NATS in the UK and if they dont know where planes should be then we are all in trouble..

my next issue is finding somewhere that will allow me to fly the drone. my local farmer has said no because there is some other people nearby that are flying all over the place and annoying the neighbours, he did say i was the first to actually ask rather than just do it, seems doing things the correct way is making enjoying flying more difficult..

i am on the verge of returning / selling the mavic due to all of this.. which is a real shame as its so nice to go out and have a bit of fun in the air and then watch the video once i get back to see what i could have done better, i have no interest in making money from the pictures just want a new hobby :)

thanks for you help, i did assume it was DJI being over cautious, im a little worried about the next update thats coming out because if this is using the same data then it may not let me fly at all, i did see there is a way to unlock restricted areas so if i get permission from the airfield ill need to look into this providing i still have it that is

Kind regards

Jay

Good luck.
My suspicion is that it is an uncontrolled airport. Hopefully you can get in touch with someone to satisfy their requirements.
On the VFR thing, not sure how that works in the UK. Flown airliners in and out of there hundreds of times, but not small airplanes. In the US it's completely normal. You cancel the flight plan on landing via the radio if possible or phone if not.
Cheers.

Hi Ascension

sounds like you know your stuff which is great. the only things that go in and out are restored old WW2 fighters, a helicopter and ive seen a couple of Cessna's. It really is a light airfield which is why i guess NATS only show a restriction in the air along side the runway rather than a 5 mile circle around it, i am trying to get that confirmed to make sure it is accurate as i dont want to assume and then come face to face with a plane (it shouldn't happen at my height but i would rather be 100% sure)

Thanks again for all your help it really is appreciated.. ill see if i can get hold of the airfield and see if there is something we can work out.

Kind regards

Jay

hi all,

While I think about it what would be the rules to fly in a class c area should it turn out the maps are wrong ?

I'm assuming I would need to contact the airfield to let them know I'm near by but what would the height be restricted to or would this be different per location.

If I cannot make contact with the field (due to it being unmanned) what would be my options should I treat it as a full no fly zone or would I be ok but at a lower height. Sorry if this sounds vague not had my morning coffee yet and the brain isn't fully working :)

Kind regards

Jay

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots