DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Insurance

I contacted them by phone prior to purchasing the Insurance and they confirmed that hobbyist drone operators ARE covered.
Only on their top tier of cover and ONLY for Hull (aircraft) damage.
There is no cover for liability or any form of commercial activity.

Only on their top tier of cover and ONLY for Hull (aircraft) damage.
There is no cover for liability or any form of commercial activity.
I have Public Liability Insurance through FPVUK. I wanted Hobbyist Insurance for Accidental Damage & Theft as these are important for me. The Policy I have through Photoguard covers me for that. I don't require any sort of cover for commercial activity.

I have Public Liability Insurance through FPVUK. I wanted Hobbyist Insurance for Accidental Damage & Theft as these are important for me. The Policy I have through Photoguard covers me for that. I don't require any sort of cover for commercial activity.
You're alright then. :)
I just didn't want people to mistakenly think that if they took out cover with Photoguard they would be covered if they injured somebody or damaged someone's property as this is not the case.

On the subject of Public Liability insurance, it seems the two main providers in the UK are either FPV UK or the BMFA.

Which would people recommend?

I've been with the BMFA for a year now as I fly at a local club with my CP Heli's - Southern Counties Model Helicopter Club

I have not had to claim anything fortunately, however you do get a nice monthly magazine and usually it will tell what the majority of annual claims are about - usually losing fingertips from fixed wing propellers!
They also inform you of new technologies in the mag and local club news

I have just bought my loss/damage insurance from Photography & Digital Camera, Camcorder & Drone Insurance | Photoguard
There is also an option to purchase Public Liability Insurance for up to £1 million but I have already purchased this from FPV.org which covers up to £5 million for approx £15 for the year.

Thanks for this I too have just signed up - £70 a year can't argue with that!

I missed the 48 hour DJI care refresh window...too busy losing my MP :-D

I'm going to give them a shout and cover my Phantom 4 pro through them, Like you all I need is accidental damage and theft cover. My current camera gear cover is through Aaduki but they only cover commercial operators on drone cover not hobbyist. Think I will switch the whole lot over to Photoguard

So glad to have discovered this thread.

I too missed the 48 hour deadline for DJI care, and glad that I did.

Got my fly more combo covered for theft and accidental damage, with a £50 excess for only £45 per year!

Thanks all for the heads up!

I've just checked with my home insurance and the Mavic isn't covered (The AA). Any recommendations for insurance in the UK please?

I'll be using the Mavic for pleasure, but will be getting my CAA approval and moving to business use in the near future.
I checked with my insurer LV and they advised me my mavic was covered under items away from the home ( up to £2k ) obviously no cover for business use or liability, just loss.

hi guys, does the theft and damage insurance with photoguard provide cover while using the drone or is this only for the equipment when turned off? (i.e. the drone crashes during flight due to operator error or mechanical/electrical failure)

hi guys, does the theft and damage insurance with photoguard provide cover while using the drone or is this only for the equipment when turned off? (i.e. the drone crashes during flight due to operator error or mechanical/electrical failure)

Hi there - it's covered while using the drone, but only for accidental damage. So operator error is covered, but mechanical failure isn't, as far as I can tell.

Reactions: Soundtekk
You can add DJI care outwith the 48 hours but you need to upload a fairly detailed video essentially proving the drone is fully functional. Aside from it being pricey, the service doesn't seem great either so I've been trying to find alternatives without much luck but looks like there's some good options to research here.

John

Does anyone know of a UK insurer that covers for unlimited periods out of the UK for citizens who are non resident? I am a UK citizen living in Spain, I have a UK address. I obviously have contents cover here but I'm not overly impressed by Spanish insurers when a claim is made so if there's any way I can purchase extra cover for my drone and cameras I'll do it.

So glad to have discovered this thread.

I too missed the 48 hour deadline for DJI care, and glad that I did.

Got my fly more combo covered for theft and accidental damage, with a £50 excess for only £45 per year!

Thanks all for the heads up!

Sounds good Hover Donkey. Where from?

I have just emailed them (photoguard) yesterday and apparently, they don't cover fly away case, nor liability cover for drone use. Not even mechanical breakdown covers drone. So I immediately cancel my policy with them.

I checked with my insurer LV and they advised me my mavic was covered under items away from the home ( up to £2k ) obviously no cover for business use or liability, just loss.
May I ask which is insurer that you use? Thanks.

I have just emailed them (photoguard) yesterday and apparently, they don't cover fly away case, nor liability cover for drone use. Not even mechanical breakdown covers drone. So I immediately cancel my policy with them.

I’m insured with Photogaurd. If you crash your drone good and proper to which you would need to claim, who is going to know how it crashed? Additionally how can they know between fly away and loss? They are both sort of the same thing[emoji106]

So what do they actually insure it for if none of the above.?
Seems to me their insurance is worthless unless I'm missing something.[emoji106]

Just got off the phone to photoguard and this is what they cover and what they don't.

Policy price for covering £1200 (drone + accessories).
Theft and accidental damage only.
No mechanical breakdown cover.
No liability cover.
The drone must be recovered to claim accidental damage.
Uk coverage with 20 consecutive days abroad.
£50 excess.

Yearly cost £29.43.
I am going to check with my home insurance as I think this level of cover will be included on my contents policy.

Reactions: Eethon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User