DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Pilots - in the south

Was good, nice to have some space to fly and meet a couple of like minded souls.
See you there sometime

So I've had mine a few weeks now, absolutely loving it! I also ordered the taco MC lenses and they arrived in 4 days!!
I fly all over the place but can usually be found on Newhaven beach where i met another mavic owner yesterday ( hi if you're here) also met a fellow mavic owner at beachy head a couple of weeks ago (hi also)

I'm always out so anyone fancy meeting up then let me know

Do you get permission to fly at Beachy Head, noticed Eastbourn council say it;s not allowed along there. Was planning on a visit there in a couple of weeks.

Eastbourne Filming Unit

Reactions: Ceejay
I go to Beachy head and all along that stretch of coast frequently without any issues (as do many other drone users). Birling Gap is national trust so I keep away from there but the rest I thought was all ok... although be warned there are lots of people around so I usually take off away from the crowds then fly at height to my filming spot.... if it genuinely is out of bounds then I need to reconsider.
Was thinking about heading over to newhaven one day as never been there and I can see some good filming opportunities / landmarks.... might see you out there!

Reactions: Ceejay and Creaky
I go to Beachy head and all along that stretch of coast frequently without any issues (as do many other drone users). Birling Gap is national trust so I keep away from there but the rest I thought was all ok... although be warned there are lots of people around so I usually take off away from the crowds then fly at height to my filming spot.... if it genuinely is out of bounds then I need to reconsider.
Was thinking about heading over to newhaven one day as never been there and I can see some good filming opportunities / landmarks.... might see you out there!

I've seen a few videos of the area so looks like an ideal location.

Hoepfully going to go over the next bank holiday in May, coming from London so any recommendations on where to go and park would be cool.

Do you get permission to fly at Beachy Head, noticed Eastbourn council say it;s not allowed along there. Was planning on a visit there in a couple of weeks.

Eastbourne Filming Unit
Typical Borough Council !, they don't want you flying there, but they will let Film Companies use it for a Feature Film ,and get paid 1,000's to do it......

Come on Eastbourne Council, get yer head out of your r's and wake up to the delights of the 21st century !!.
Anyway, if was down there....., are you going to show me the signs that say "DRONES NOT ALLOWED"
I'll re-phrase that.... HAS ANYBODY FROM THE AREA, SEEN ANY SIGNS SAYING YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FLY AT BEACHY HEAD WITH A DRONE !!
Come on you Sussex guys, pipe up !!

and where ,(by chance) do I find a copy of "I QUOTE" your "Bylaws".
Of course!, they are plastered all over the place for us drone flyers to see !!.
(As if we would be looking for them, or, take any notice !)
DOUBLE STANDARDS EASTBOURNE !!!
(We'll be seeing The Council workmen next trolling along to Beachy Head Cliffs, signs in hand, big mallet !!, then we watch as they hammer them into the ground (on a site of Scientific Importance)
then watch as the Cliff splits and they all disappear over the edge !!)
(HOPEFULLY, with all the bosses of the council on the other end of the safety rope to follow !!)
Come on ECC, what harm are we doing !!

Last edited:
Reactions: cheekymonkeyman
Typical Borough Council !, they don't want you flying there, but they will let Film Companies use it for a Feature Film ,and get paid 1,000's to do it......

Come on Eastbourne Council, get yer head out of your r's and wake up to the delights of the 21st century !!.
Anyway, if was down there....., are you going to show me the signs that say "DRONES NOT ALLOWED"
I'll re-phrase that.... HAS ANYBODY FROM THE AREA, SEEN ANY SIGNS SAYING YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FLY AT BEACHY HEAD WITH A DRONE !!
Come on you Sussex guys, pipe up !!

and where ,(by chance) do I find a copy of "I QUOTE" your "Bylaws".
Of course!, they are plastered all over the place for us drone flyers to see !!.
(As if we would be looking for them, or, take any notice !)
DOUBLE STANDARDS EASTBOURNE !!!
(We'll be seeing The Council workmen next trolling along to Beachy Head Cliffs, signs in hand, big mallet !!, then we watch as they hammer them into the ground (on a site of Scientific Importance)
then watch as the Cliff splits and they all disappear over the edge !!)
(HOPEFULLY, with all the bosses of the council on the other end of the safety rope to follow !!)
Come on ECC, what harm are we doing !!

Funny CJ ! I can confirm that there aren't any signs anywhere on the stretch I've filmed and that nobody has brought this to my attention (ahem) so I am not aware of it... of what?... don't even know what I'm talking about or why I'm here :)
I've been seen flying by the rangers, chaplaincy and even the police last weekend and not a mention.... so either they acknowledge I am nowhere near doing any harm or they possibly have no idea either... ahem... of what?

Ah!, your that Invisible Man flying his drone that has not been seen at Eastbourne Filming illegally !!.
Tut, Tut !, I hope you have applied to ECC for a copy of that non existent bylaw book.
YOU NAUGHTY BOY !!
I will have to smack that leg of your Mavic (te he)

It makes me laugh that all the drone footage we could take of various places ,all over this beautiful country of ours could be put to good use by the various establishments to promote their businesses !.
All they seem to want us to do is stop flying over it, wherever it is !!.
We could ALL do them a lot of good, if they wanted us to.
And as for the rule about not flying over/in National Trust, National Parks Areas is nothing short of a joke.
Providing you are responsible, and are not stupid about invasion of privacy and all that c...p, why not have a flight to record your vacation.
I am seriously thinking of spending my money on getting a CAA drone pilot licence, then I will be licenced to do it, and more importantly possibly get paid for doing it as well.
My nephew is a licenced Drone Pilot, I am sure he would give his dear ole uncle a helping hand, and a few pointers at the same time. !

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundtekk
Planning to pay a visti to Beachy Head over the next Bank Holiday, got a week off work so hopefully won't face any issues while there.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Visiting Hayling Island with my Mavic been a bit windy today, Friday.
Here until 12th May. Any suggestions for location?

Haven't done too much flying around here, normally go a bit further away.

Hayling Island is going to cover you for beaches around here I guess, although there's Southsea as well.

If you fancy making the trip to the Isle of Wight (there's a ferry (at Portsmouth Harbour) or hovercraft (Southsea Beach) you can take there), then maybe the Needles?

ilneedlesaerial_0.jpg

If you go to Gosport, you could probably get some (from across the harbour) footage of Old Portsmouth or the Spinnaker Tower

_C6T0023.JPG

If I think of other places, I'll post again. Let me know if you get any good footage from around here!

I live in Reigate, Surrey. I'm off to Brighton to do a spot of flying in a week or so. I'll be parking my motorhome on Madeira Drive, getting up early, taking off from the beach and flying over the sea to film the piers. I don't envisage any agro from the local council.

I live in Reigate, Surrey. I'm off to Brighton to do a spot of flying in a week or so. I'll be parking my motorhome on Madeira Drive, getting up early, taking off from the beach and flying over the sea to film the piers. I don't envisage any agro from the local council.

Send me a PM when you get down here - I met another Mavic pilot last Sunday at Hove Lawns (during the Albion celebration) and I'm sure he'd be up for a meetup.

Hi folks, another newbie here, based in Surrey (guildford way) Would be keen to shadow someone who knows what they are doing with this little machine! I've only taken it out twice, got plenty of dirty looks(tbf I'm still in beginner mode so it's flying pretty low loud and obvious...)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU