DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Ultrasonic Module Error" since updating to 01.03.0400

Mark Comerford

Reactions
Hi all,
Never had any issues with the drone, up until updating to this firmware released on the 14th. Get a 'Ultrasonic Module Error' when I start up the motors ready to take off. Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Tried downgrading then re-upgrading and doing a factory reset in DJI Assistant 2, no dice. :(

Totally frustrating as this drone has been perfect up until this error showing up. :mad:

Cheers,
Mark.

Hi all,
Never had any issues with the drone, up until updating to this firmware released on the 14th. Get a 'Ultrasonic Module Error' when I start up the motors ready to take off. Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Tried downgrading then re-upgrading and doing a factory reset in DJI Assistant 2, no dice. :(

Totally frustrating as this drone has been perfect up until this error showing up. :mad:

Cheers,
Mark.
The newest firmware adds a self diagnostic to the US sensors on startup. It's possible your sensors weren't working correctly before and the self diagnostic is now reporting this issue.

The newest firmware adds a self diagnostic to the US sensors on startup. It's possible your sensors weren't working correctly before and the self diagnostic is now reporting this issue.

I feared this would be the case, this whole ordeal is so frustrating!

What I can't understand is why this functionality wasn't included from the beginning. :mad: It's almost as though they knew this would become an issue for many from the outset and so held off from including the check until a few months later after the initial rush of sales.

I was hoping to never have to deal with DJI support, as like with everything, it's a gamble as to what I'll get as a replacement. Plus, it looks as though DJI support in the UK isn't that great either. This is just turning in to a nightmare. :(

I feared this would be the case, this whole ordeal is so frustrating!

What I can't understand is why this functionality wasn't included from the beginning. :mad: It's almost as though they knew this would become an issue for many from the outset and so held off from including the check until a few months later after the initial rush of sales.

I was hoping to never have to deal with DJI support, as like with everything, it's a gamble as to what I'll get as a replacement. Plus, it looks as though DJI support in the UK isn't that great either. This is just turning in to a nightmare. :(
Upload a video of your drone powered on and sitting on a table or some other hard flat surface. Cameras can pick up on US to an extent. I can try to listen for the sensors.

Thanks, I'll try and get a video uploaded tomorrow.

I can hear faint but rapid clicking noises coming from the US sensors when I put my ear to them, so it seems there is definitely activity coming from them.

Thanks, I'll try and get a video uploaded tomorrow.

I can hear faint but rapid clicking noises coming from the US sensors when I put my ear to them, so it seems there is definitely activity coming from them.
They're working at least. Maybe DJI can diagnose the issue and solve it without sending it in.

Hi. I got exactly the same error. See extract from a posting i did on a different thread.
"Hi all.
I updated which went very smoothly.
However when starting the motors I got "ultrasound device error". It still flew fine although I just went around the back yard.
Downgraded to the previous firmware and didn't get that error anymore. Upgraded to the latest firmware again and got the same error.
So I'm sticking with .02 version which was perfect for me.
I did all the calibrations after upgrading and upgraded from the app first and DJI assistant 2nd time.
Anyone else perhaps had this?"

I flew for 60min yesterday on the previous f/w (.02) and works 100%. The VPS height shows perfectly and things like terrain follow work 100%.
I'll stick with that for version for now, but as said above, perhaps there is something wrong. Not sure if I should send it back, when so far the drone seems perfect - and I've flown a lot.

Please let me know if you've found any further info, or if you've spoken to DJI.

Thanks

Hi. I got exactly the same error. See extract from a posting i did on a different thread.
"Hi all.
I updated which went very smoothly.
However when starting the motors I got "ultrasound device error". It still flew fine although I just went around the back yard.
Downgraded to the previous firmware and didn't get that error anymore. Upgraded to the latest firmware again and got the same error.
So I'm sticking with .02 version which was perfect for me.
I did all the calibrations after upgrading and upgraded from the app first and DJI assistant 2nd time.
Anyone else perhaps had this?"

I flew for 60min yesterday on the previous f/w (.02) and works 100%. The VPS height shows perfectly and things like terrain follow work 100%.
I'll stick with that for version for now, but as said above, perhaps there is something wrong. Not sure if I should send it back, when so far the drone seems perfect - and I've flown a lot.

Please let me know if you've found any further info, or if you've spoken to DJI.

Thanks

Hello,
Thanks for the input, and sorry to hear you are also suffering the same issue.

I have decided to initiate a return with DJI. Although the drone seems to work relatively fine even in spite of the error being displayed, I am still not satisfied that the drone is functioning as it should be. I have also downgraded to .0200 with no issues being noticed, but as has been pointed out by Cyberpower678, this is probably just masquerading a problem that existed from the beginning.

I can understand apprehension about sending the device back, especially if there seems to be nothing wrong. I guess my biggest concern is the lottery draw we enter regarding what device receive in return. Unfortunately there also seems to be regional disparity regarding customer focus compared to other parts of the world, as we have to pay the cost of returning faulty goods to DJI, even if it is not the customer at fault. This is not exactly a fair deal and something that really needs to be changed.

For me, the error is a concern that cannot be ignored, and I'd rather not have a conscience if something does go wrong knowing full well it could have been this issue being the potential cause.

I'm just awaiting a response from DJI support regarding receiving an RMA number. It seems they don't rush to reply to customer emails, which seems to be the only half reliable way of organising warranty returns here in the UK (and the rest of Europe by the looks of it). Not really upbeat about their warranty service at all.

Cheers,
Mark.

unfortunately it started to show on mine today as well - 3 flights with multiple sessions - went all ok - then it started to show up - tried to capture the ultrasound with my iphone as it did show on my video I sent to DJI to get the care refresh - nothing ... seems to be legit ... however it only shows after the CSC and not during the initialisation which I find quite odd ...

I will check it again in a minute to see if it may be related to temperature or anything else ...

Nothing on my iphone ... I am charging the batteries now to go back to its original version try record the ultrasonic again if that works I'll upgrade to the latest without the 0.0200 step and compare if it fails I know where the issue is ...

I get the warning if the Mavic is sitting on the floor, but if I pick it up it disappears. Hopefully it's just a software glitch and not an actual problem.

It doesnt look like it - I can no longer pickup the ultrasonic with my iphone - did downgrade to the very first firmware and tried all versions- no longer emitting by the looks of it - avoidance sensors seem to be optical that trigger ... RMA for me I guess ...

To test it - if you got an iphone video it from the front or from the top of the mavic you should hear knocking sounds when playing back ...

Like in this video I took to show the gimbal calibration with the pgytech nd filters

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneMann
It doesnt look like it - I can no longer pickup the ultrasonic with my iphone - did downgrade to the very first firmware and tried all versions- no longer emitting by the looks of it - avoidance sensors seem to be optical that trigger ... RMA for me I guess ...

To test it - if you got an iphone video it from the front or from the top of the mavic you should hear knocking sounds when playing back ...

Like in this video I took to show the gimbal calibration with the pgytech nd filters

Sorry to hear you're also suffering the same issue. :-( I just recorded some iPhone video footage of my Mavic and it is not producing those sounds. I'll try and reinstall different firmwares again but this isn't looking good.

Seems fairly evident that our US modules are completely broken. :-(

Sorry to hear you're also suffering the same issue. :-( I just recorded some iPhone video footage of my Mavic and it is not producing those sounds. I'll try and reinstall different firmwares again but this isn't looking good.

Seems fairly evident that our US modules are completely broken. :-(

you can save yourself some time I guess - I did it, went through all available versions and tried it again - same results ... unfortunately travelling internationally at the moment so I guess this has to wait until I get back :(

That sucks. I flew yesterday and after I swapped to my second battery I got the same fault. I cycled the power and changed my takeoff point and didn't see the error come back since. I even recharged my batteries and went out for more flights that afternoon and it never came back.

If I were a gambling man I'd say since it's so wide spread after the firmware update that it's a glitch.

Personally I chalked it up to the field I took off on. Maybe mine got confused by a sprinkler pipe lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

That sucks. I flew yesterday and after I swapped to my second battery I got the same fault. I cycled the power and changed my takeoff point and didn't see the error come back since. I even recharged my batteries and went out for more flights that afternoon and it never came back.

If I were a gambling man I'd say since it's so wide spread after the firmware update that it's a glitch.

Personally I chalked it up to the field I took off on. Maybe mine got confused by a sprinkler pipe lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Oh that's not good. Have you tried an audio recording of the drone with your phone whilst it's idle? If you hear a knocking/clicking sound then the US sensor is operating.

I think in our cases, the US module has either gone faulty, or the newest update has somehow permanently disabled the module.

I don't know if the Ultrasound module has its own separate firmware embedded within update package, or whether it's just part of the operating system, but it seems suspicious how in the case of r4nd0m's it was working prior to the update (proven by the video provided), then in this newest update it ceases to work. In my case, I have no proof that it was/wasn't working beforehand, but it does seem quite odd how it would just not work at all.

It makes me wonder whether the US sensor in fact recoverable in a future firmware update. It's difficult to tell at this point but it would be interesting to know whether this issue is more widespread than what is being reported.

Hi all. As I said above I also have this error. I tried recording on my iPhone as suggested and there is no clicking on playback (I've never done this before so not sure if it's never made a sound). However, when I lift the mavic the ground clearance number does change - accurately. So the ultrasonic must be working. And when I flew today I tested the terrain follow and that works perfectly - all controlled by Ultrasound i believe. There may be something wrong but for now just seems a software thing to me. I'll hold on until maybe the next firmware and see what that shows. So I'm still on 0.2 version and happy.
If future firmware has major new features etc and this sonic module error remains then I will send it back for an exchange.
Thanks.

Same here! Powered down and powered up and the same issue. Then shut down all the sensors in DJI GO4 app and powered down the Mavic again. Then started up and switched on all the sensors again and no issue. Flew ok, but I have to say it was not as stable hovering in the air as before in my opinion. I think something is not quite right with the latest update. Hope they will get it right on short notice.

Happy Flying
Brewsky

I upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday - got the error immediately. The drone flew fine with the error so I turned the drone and the controller off - then turned it back on - the error was gone. Today I was flying at a lake and the first time I powered up the bird, I got the error. Again - turned the copter off and then the controller off - error was gone. Then I switched batteries - got the error again - turned it off and turned it on again and then BOOM - everything was fine. I'll ping DJI, but I've had my Mavic without a problem since early November. I'm wondering if it's the software or if I really do have a hardware problem. Thank goodness I didn't sell my P4 so I can still fly if I have to send it in.

I upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday - got the error immediately. The drone flew fine with the error so I turned the drone and the controller off - then turned it back on - the error was gone. Today I was flying at a lake and the first time I powered up the bird, I got the error. Again - turned the copter off and then the controller off - error was gone. Then I switched batteries - got the error again - turned it off and turned it on again and then BOOM - everything was fine. I'll ping DJI, but I've had my Mavic without a problem since early November. I'm wondering if it's the software or if I really do have a hardware problem. Thank goodness I didn't sell my P4 so I can still fly if I have to send it in.

Interesting you say early November. Same time I got mine and I have the same issue as you. Maybe an issue with the early batches?

Reactions: Gary Vaughan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair