Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to calibrate Gimbal

Status
Not open for further replies.

maw3781

Reactions
Hi Ladies & Gents,
Turned on the Mavic Pro this morning & had a warning in the top left corner of the screen saying Gimbal motor overload. I gave the Gimbal a flick with my finger, warning went away & the camera sat facing forward. Flew around all good for a while, then had a small fall into a shrub. Now the warning is back & when the Mavic is turned on, the camera does its forward / Reverse movement & then sit at a 45 deg angle facing down & to the right about 45 deg. Camera still works, Mavic still flys, but the camera just stays in the one spot. The Gimbal base is sitting correctly where it should, rubber bands are all good, small flat cables look to be not broken. I have redone the IMU calibration, but It wont do a Gimbal calibration. As soon as the calibration starts its on 5% & that's all it does. Sat there for a good 3 min before I had to turn the hand piece off to get out off the screen.
Anyone had this problem before. DJI is my next call.
Cheers
Shaun

Odd one, you could re-flash the FW to see if it solves the problem.

Hi Ladies & Gents,
Turned on the Mavic Pro this morning & had a warning in the top left corner of the screen saying Gimbal motor overload. I gave the Gimbal a flick with my finger, warning went away & the camera sat facing forward. Flew around all good for a while, then had a small fall into a shrub. Now the warning is back & when the Mavic is turned on, the camera does its forward / Reverse movement & then sit at a 45 deg angle facing down & to the right about 45 deg. Camera still works, Mavic still flys, but the camera just stays in the one spot. The Gimbal base is sitting correctly where it should, rubber bands are all good, small flat cables look to be not broken. I have redone the IMU calibration, but It wont do a Gimbal calibration. As soon as the calibration starts its on 5% & that's all it does. Sat there for a good 3 min before I had to turn the hand piece off to get out off the screen.
Cheers
Shaun
Exact same issue! Gimbal moves around at the start and is now stuck looking down and to the right. Calibration freezes at 5%

I have had a good look & a poke around with a small screw driver. Cables look ok & seem to hold with a bit of pressure put on them. Are these flat cables available as a spare part.

Cheers

You were having gimbal overload problems before the crash, but after you flicked the cam it centered itself. Now you have a non-responsive gimbal. It might seem like they are related, but Im guessing its your ribbon cable after the crash. If the ribbon cable even has a small tear in it, it will stop the gimbal from moving. If youre still getting video feed, thats my guess.

Its possible that a connector on the ribbon came loose, that would also cause problems.

I've found that gimbal auto calibration crashes and does not complete in even mildly windy conditions outdoors but perfectly fine indoors. Not sure if that's relevant to you?

It's relevant to what was happening before the crash, overloaded gimbal motors, but now you have a nonresponsive gimbal. When you do a gimbal calibration, are any of the gimbal motors buzzing, especially when it stops at 5%? Also feel them for heat.

Maybe you could so a short video of your startup gimbal movement, and also when you try to do a gimbal auto calibration and put it on youtube.

How would i go about flashing it?

Plug your mavic in to dji assistant 2 on the pc, there is an option to 'refresh' your FW.

Make sure you put your settings back afterwards ie, rth height etc.

This discussion has all been very helpful. Thank you everyone.

Unfortunately, I had a small crash as well into a tree branch hovering at roughly 10-15 feet.

Now I have an unresponsive gimbal, tried calibrating, stuck at 5%. gimbal base sitting correctly, camera is working, drone flies perfect, attempted IMU calibration, didn't work. rubber bands seem ok.

Maybe, I have ripped/disconnected ribbon although I don't recall how the ribbon cable was placed originally?

Should I contact DJI? Anyone have an idea of this type of repair may cost?

Do you have Refresh or other insurance?

You have 2 problems. IMU will not calibrate, and gimbal non-responsive.

Total repair cost at DJI will probably be between $395 - $475

I buy sell repair and trade broken Mavics and work alot cheaper than DJI, and my turnaround time is alot shorter.

Reactions: newguy
Hi Ladies & Gents,
Cheers
Shaun

I had the same issue this morning.. Stuck on 5%
Found that my filter was the culprit.
If you have an ND filter on.. That may be the case.

I know it’s been a wile but what was the out come of this. I have the exact same happening after a small crash. I have the DJI insurance but it would be nice not to have to send it in.

Try turning the drone upside down. I have the same issue and turned mine upside down while attempting to calibrate gimbal and got to 51%. That is the best I can get so far.

Try turning the drone upside down. I have the same issue and turned mine upside down while attempting to calibrate gimbal and got to 51%. That is the best I can get so far.
@Thunderdrones . In your experience is this always..Or almost allways a cable issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom