DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to start motors.

Davidss

Reactions
UK, Derbyshire, nearest junction, M1 J28.
Looked at 'similar threads', but nothing seems to match.
Full story, two days I found that flying in a straight line was not possible, the aircraft always drifted off slightly, so I thought I'd calibrate the control sticks. DJI have two videos up, once I'd found the later one I followed the procedure through to the end (calibrating the thumb wheel).

Today I tried to fly the aircraft again, and although I got all the right signals (GPS OK, Ready to Fly, green flight indicator on the aircraft) the CSC did not start the motors. They had twitched as normal when I powered the aircraft on.

I re-tried stick calibration, all OK again. I switched off both aircraft and Controller, then tried again. Still no joy.

The only other difference is that I was 20 miles away from where I had flown before. Every single other flight has been 'at home'.
I checked the sensors, IMU and Compass all in the green.

I am on the latest firmware, and have flown since installing that.
I'm running an up to date Android Mobile device, Sony Xperia Z4, and have no history of system crashes or disconnects.

Any suggestions please?

Looked at 'similar threads', but nothing seems to match.
Full story, two days I found that flying in a straight line was not possible, the aircraft always drifted off slightly, so I thought I'd calibrate the control sticks. DJI have two videos up, once I'd found the later one I followed the procedure through to the end (calibrating the thumb wheel).

Today I tried to fly the aircraft again, and although I got all the right signals (GPS OK, Ready to Fly, green flight indicator on the aircraft) the CSC did not start the motors. They had twitched as normal when I powered the aircraft on.

I re-tried stick calibration, all OK again. I switched off both aircraft and Controller, then tried again. Still no joy.

The only other difference is that I was 20 miles away from where I had flown before. Every single other flight has been 'at home'.
I checked the sensors, IMU and Compass all in the green.

I am on the latest firmware, and have flown since installing that.
I'm running an up to date Android Mobile device, Sony Xperia Z4, and have no history of system crashes or disconnects.

Any suggestions please?
Can you start the motors with the take-off button on your app? Do you have the CSC function turned off in the menu?

there is a menu option where CSC can be turned on only in emergencies.

Thankyou both.
It is the CSC to START the motors that isn't working. If there is an option to turn this off then I've missed it. I'll look again.
I didn't think to try the Auto Take-off button in the app.
The CSC to STOP the motors is left at the default Breakdown only (I did check).

Regards

Thankyou both.
It is the CSC to START the motors that isn't working. If there is an option to turn this off then I've missed it. I'll look again.
I didn't think to try the Auto Take-off button in the app.
The CSC to STOP the motors is left at the default Breakdown only (I did check).

Regards
No it is only Breakdown as you stated.

I've rechecked and yes, we all agree there seems no method to turn off CSC motor start.
I've tried auto take-off; that starts the motors and hovers at 1.2 metres as it promised. Auto-Landing has worked, as has manual landing.
I tested this 4 miles away from the initial site, it is in a restricted garden in a UK built up area, so 'flying around' is risky. The ability to hover and maintain position made a positive impression.

All I can think of is another stick recalibration - or ask the question on the DJI Forum!! :)

Regards.

I thought I ought to close this off.
It became a case of three DJI stumbles, followed by a DJI success.
Stumble 1. I went to post on the DJI forum but could not gain access as my previously registered ID went into a repeated redirection loop, from one screen to another, then back to the first screen, then back to the second screen, and on, and on, and on. I gave up.
Stumble 2. I thought I'd email them, but it's an essential requirement to attach a file showing proof of purchase, which appears to mean a picture or pdf of the invoice, or perhaps the email advising you that all goods have been delivered. I hadn't prepared such a scan or 'screen print' so an email was out of the question. (I've done one now, but that's for 'next time').
Stumble 3. Open up a Chat on line. I fed them the story, the Chat operator responded with 'have you recalibrated the IMU?' No, I hadn't, so that course of action was requested.
Now you may think, as I did, that the IMU is in the aircraft, and when the Control sticks are calibrated it's a requirement that the aircraft is switched off, so how could a IMU calibration help? I had proved beyond doubt that the aircraft responded correctly to the signals from the Controller; it was the Controller that was wrong.
Rather than argue the point I merely said it was late, I was tired, so I'd try the IMU calibration in the morning.
A white lie.

In the morning I decided to Refresh the firmware in the Controller, so connected that to the PC. When Assistant 2 woke up, I was offered the 0600 firmware upgrade, so I took it.
Then I upgraded the aircraft.
Then I upgraded GO 4.
Then I checked all the settings, changing some back to how I prefer them.
The one thing I did NOT do was Calibrate the sticks, merely went into that section to see that UP mean up, and LEFT meant left.

Then I charged the batteries (Aircraft, Controller, Mobile Device), then went out and successfully started the motors using the CSC. Then I flew the aircraft; it was quite windy, and I got plenty of warnings. It was too windy to repeat my original test, of flying in Tripod mode in a straight line, and seeing if it was straight, or if the aircraft drifted.

So, I can't say 100% that a Firmware Refresh would have cured the problem, but I suspect it would have done.

Thanks for your thoughts and help, I now consider this issue closed (but not forgotten :) )

Reactions: Bunny Too
I thought I ought to close this off.
It became a case of three DJI stumbles, followed by a DJI success.
Stumble 1. I went to post on the DJI forum but could not gain access as my previously registered ID went into a repeated redirection loop, from one screen to another, then back to the first screen, then back to the second screen, and on, and on, and on. I gave up.
Stumble 2. I thought I'd email them, but it's an essential requirement to attach a file showing proof of purchase, which appears to mean a picture or pdf of the invoice, or perhaps the email advising you that all goods have been delivered. I hadn't prepared such a scan or 'screen print' so an email was out of the question. (I've done one now, but that's for 'next time').
Stumble 3. Open up a Chat on line. I fed them the story, the Chat operator responded with 'have you recalibrated the IMU?' No, I hadn't, so that course of action was requested.
Now you may think, as I did, that the IMU is in the aircraft, and when the Control sticks are calibrated it's a requirement that the aircraft is switched off, so how could a IMU calibration help? I had proved beyond doubt that the aircraft responded correctly to the signals from the Controller; it was the Controller that was wrong.
Rather than argue the point I merely said it was late, I was tired, so I'd try the IMU calibration in the morning.
A white lie.

In the morning I decided to Refresh the firmware in the Controller, so connected that to the PC. When Assistant 2 woke up, I was offered the 0600 firmware upgrade, so I took it.
Then I upgraded the aircraft.
Then I upgraded GO 4.
Then I checked all the settings, changing some back to how I prefer them.
The one thing I did NOT do was Calibrate the sticks, merely went into that section to see that UP mean up, and LEFT meant left.

Then I charged the batteries (Aircraft, Controller, Mobile Device), then went out and successfully started the motors using the CSC. Then I flew the aircraft; it was quite windy, and I got plenty of warnings. It was too windy to repeat my original test, of flying in Tripod mode in a straight line, and seeing if it was straight, or if the aircraft drifted.

So, I can't say 100% that a Firmware Refresh would have cured the problem, but I suspect it would have done.

Thanks for your thoughts and help, I now consider this issue closed (but not forgotten :) )
Way to get it done Davidss, and thank you for posting your findings.

there is a method to start the motors without using auto takeoff in the app?
Yes and No :).
There is an alternative method, but it's not, strictly speaking, 'in the app'.

It's called a Combined Stick Command (CSC), and is done on the Controller.
You move both sticks at the same time, the left one down and right, plus the right one down and left; the sticks end up in the position known as the 'inner corners'.
Alternatively, you move both sticks at the same time, the left one down and left, plus the right one down and right; the sticks end up in the position known as the 'outer corners'.
The motors start, and you release both sticks so they centralise.

The aircraft stays on the ground, rotors spinning.
Without touching the right stick at all, you then push the left stick forwards (away from you), and you hold it forwards until the aircraft is at least 10 metres (30 feet) high (as shown on the mobile display).
At that point the take-off point has been recognised, to help with auto landing or Return To Home (RTH) if you choose to use it.

Now you can fly the aircraft in any direction you like :)

Yes and No :).
There is an alternative method, but it's not, strictly speaking, 'in the app'.

It's called a Combined Stick Command (CSC), and is done on the Controller.
You move both sticks at the same time, the left one down and right, plus the right one down and left; the sticks end up in the position known as the 'inner corners'.
Alternatively, you move both sticks at the same time, the left one down and left, plus the right one down and right; the sticks end up in the position known as the 'outer corners'.
The motors start, and you release both sticks so they centralise.

The aircraft stays on the ground, rotors spinning.
Without touching the right stick at all, you then push the left stick forwards (away from you), and you hold it forwards until the aircraft is at least 10 metres (30 feet) high (as shown on the mobile display).
At that point the take-off point has been recognised, to help with auto landing or Return To Home (RTH) if you choose to use it.

Now you can fly the aircraft in any direction you like :)

I was aware of this emergency stick position to shut motors down but did not realize this would also start the motors.

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun