DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UPDATE - FOUND & RESCUED: URGENT - Help needed in Robbinsville, NC for child search & rescue

octoruss

Reactions
URGENT - SEEKING ALL DRONE OWNERS NEAR ROBBINSVILLE, NC: Need your help in Search & Rescue for missing child & grandmother in Big Snowbird!

Yesterday morning, Wednesday May 31, Maddie Anderson, a 13-yo girl and her grandmother, Chris Plonski, set out for a hike into the Big Snowbird area near Robbinsville, NC. As of today, neither Maddie nor her grandmother have returned. Their car is still at the Snowbird Creek trailhead. A search is underway, being coordinated by the Graham County Sheriff's office.

Their car was left at the Snowbird Creek Trailhead (GPS: Latitude: 35.273442 | Longitude: -83.912333) and they made a call to family from the summit of Mouse Knob. It is expected that they are somewhere between these two points. If anyone could assist, especially those with thermal imaging or search & rescue experience, it would be immensely appreciated. Rescue helicopters are expected to be in the area tomorrow (Friday) if she is not found today, so remain at a low altitude and be vigilant of other aircraft.

Anyone venturing to the Snowbird Creek Trailhead can liaise with local S&R teams on the ground. But remote operators can report any findings to Graham County Dispatch at (828) 479-7985.

At this point it is unknown what each woman was wearing. Attached is a photo of Maddie, and we are working on obtaining a photo of her grandmother.

More information, as we know it, will be posted here.

Any leads should be forwarded to Graham County Dispatch at (828) 479-7985.

Thank you for your help in finding Maddie!

Attachments

• Maddie Anderson.jpg
    Maddie Anderson.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 252
They already have some UAS support on scene so they don't need anyone to show up at this time. I just got off the phone with dispatch and they are going to alert me if they need more resources.

We have a national UAS/SAR group anyone can reach out to if a need such as this arises. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Allen

And guys Allen is a Moderator in PhantomPilots so don't think as this is his first post he's not straight up .
Thanks Allen for coming over .

Reactions: SeaComms
And guys Allen is a Moderator in PhantomPilots so don't think as this is his first post he's not straight up .
Thanks Allen for coming over .

Thank you sir. I just got the call to activate. I'll be heading up that way most likely this evening or first thing in the AM.

Hopefully we can have a POSITIVE outcome for all.

Reactions: dirkclod
Good luck and be safe ! Thumbswayup

Just so everyone is aware, Graham County Emergency Services has specifically asked for, and given permission to Mavic owners to assist in the search effort.

Furthermore, GCES has stated that although the area is a national forest, the extenuating circumstances permit UAS operation

That's good to hear and please do keep us in the loop.
God willing you will find them safe and soon .

Nothing yet but we start again in the morning. Everything has been called off for the night but early in the morning we head out.

We will have manned air assets on scene (weather permitting) mid-morning and look forward to working with them to hopefully bring everyone home safe n sound.

Best of luck BA .Thumbswayup

Reactions: EJay
Guys unfortunately in a different continent, but my prayers are with them. I hope some fellow pilots can help us in the search.
If it was in my country I would definitely fly there myself and join the search and rescue ops.

Make sure to coordinate your activities with the local authorities and plan the search.
Dont just to there and fly, use a mapping software and scan the area, land and get someone to analyse the shots while you change battery and launch a new mission.

Hope it is a good out come thoughts are with you all out there searching as I know what it is like as I am apart of search and rescue team hear in Australia be safe and good luck guys

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest