DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading moters.......

Joedeertay

Reactions
This is just my inner child/teen asking this question. I know this is extremely early to be asking this question, but for those that have their mavics, does it look like we could possibly replace to motors with a more powerful motor for increased speed/agility?

Obviously I wouldn't change them until/if these fail(if it is even possible), and I am perfectly happy with the mavics speed and agility straight out of the box. This is more of a, 'could it be done' question out of straight curiosity.

Thanks again, and best wished to everyone on getting their mavic!

Reactions: Zoidsfan77
My inner adult tells me that you should never replace any propulsion related parts (motors, props, batteries, etc.) with 3rd party parts. Not only have many not worked as well in past DJI products, some people have crashed and others have voided their DJI warranty.

Reactions: bodgerator
Roger, I'm new to the drone world (this will be my first DJI) and I was literally just curious if it could be done without causing issues...which obviously it does/can so that is that. Thank you!

Roger, I'm new to the drone world (this will be my first DJI) and I was literally just curious if it could be done without causing issues...which obviously it does/can so that is that. Thank you!

Absolutely it will be able to be done and you won't be the only one thinking about this.. It's not rocket science, it's called evolution. :)

Reactions: Zoidsfan77
I'm not an engineer or drone designer but I've been building/modding/repairing drones for years.
As a hypothetical it would seem possible to do if, and this is a big if, A. the new motors would physically mount. B. The new motors had the same traditional multirotor "standard" connections as is "normal".(this assumes that the Mavic doesn't have nontraditional arrangements, or feed backs). C. the demands on the system, i.e. esc's and power distribution etc, remain within specifications, and D. The air frame is robust enough to handle the additional stresses.
That is a lot of ifs.
The Mavic seems highly specialized for something like this, and it surely wouldn't be the same as popping some new motors on a home build or a kit, and something I wouldn't even consider until A,B,C. and D were answered and warranty was long gone.
It's gonna get harder and harder to attempt things like this as machines get more and more proprietary and technology begins to specialize, but I like the way you think.

Last edited:
Yeah not a good idea... tell your inner kid, these are not a toy. These are $1,000 sophisticated drones...of which speed and agility come in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Also new motors comes new ECS, where you gonna stuff those?

More than likely we will see light add one, range extenders, and maybe a battery mod of sorts? But I think that's about it

Also new motors comes new ECS, where you gonna stuff those?

More than likely we will see light add one, range extenders, and maybe a battery mod of sorts? But I think that's about it

You do not need new esc's to change out motors.
Nearly all DJI platforms use over spec'd esc's in their propulsion systems. This would mean there is sufficient current handling capability within the existing FET's to handle an additional load from uprated motors.
At this stage we do not know how much thrust per volt is being produced from the Mavic motors and it is unlikely that an ''upgraded' motor of a few KV's would see any advantage in a tuned system.

I don't think that's true... change the motors and you have to change the ESC's. changing the motors alone are not going to do much.

These are small motors too

I have replaced the P3 motors with KDE motors. They are well-known and high quality. They claimed to be more efficient and I would say the difference is negligible. I didn't notice any remarkable difference using them on 10+ mile distance runs. I left them on because there weren't any negative effects. I did the swap to a new motors P3 however. KDE sells a kit for old motors too. Not sure if the results are any better with that.

I don't think that's true... change the motors and you have to change the ESC's. changing the motors alone are not going to do much.

No way of knowing that unless you know what rating the ESCs are. If there's spare capacity within the ESCs you could easily get a decent boost.

Well I guess give it a try and see what happens!

When you see a Mavic in action, it's much like all DJI drones, their at 100% capacity as far as the thrust they can take.

Put a load on the phantom like batteries etc. it will crack.

Mavic might be able to take it, but it's hard to say until someone tries it

Well I guess give it a try and see what happens!

When you see a Mavic in action, it's much like all DJI drones, their at 100% capacity as far as the thrust they can take.

Put a load on the phantom like batteries etc. it will crack.

Mavic might be able to take it, but it's hard to say until someone tries it

Only time will tell if someone will be posting up about the dreaded stress cracks! I do think the design of the arms being squared is a big improvement. Seems the motors are more secured and not torquing as much on the arms. I wonder how the motor mounts are designed and how the motors are affixed to the arms?

Well I don't know if you have one? But let's say this.... the P4, didn't crack until people starting adding batteries and weight to them... undo stress on the arms produced cracking.

On the Mavic I suspect the LONG braking, regardless of the settings is because of the foldable legs. The weakness will definitely not be at the motors as much as it will be at the joints.

The Mavic should stop on a dime with how light it is, but it kind of reminds me of a 3 ton pickup with drum brakes. Goes like hell but stops at its leisure. Even tossing it into a 180 and holding full forward throttle it drifts back a mile.

I still think it's silly to change the motors, and whatever gain could be had would be pointless in the end. For example battery life etc. plus changing esc's would be near impossible for any aftermarket ones.

Well I don't know if you have one? But let's say this.... the P4, didn't crack until people starting adding batteries and weight to them... undo stress on the arms produced cracking.

On the Mavic I suspect the LONG braking, regardless of the settings is because of the foldable legs. The weakness will definitely not be at the motors as much as it will be at the joints.

The Mavic should stop on a dime with how light it is, but it kind of reminds me of a 3 ton pickup with drum brakes. Goes like hell but stops at its leisure. Even tossing it into a 180 and holding full forward throttle it drifts back a mile.

I still think it's silly to change the motors, and whatever gain could be had would be pointless in the end. For example battery life etc. plus changing esc's would be near impossible for any aftermarket ones.

I'd suggest, if you want to get into modding, build an FPV micro or mini racing drone and have it! It is a lot of fun and mistakes cost much less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: TallGear

I can assure you that you do not have to change out esc's to swap motors.
It will depend on the PWM output of the esc's and nearly all DJI ones will operate between 30 - 450Hz (some higher) and even micro systems now can handle 20A which is way over spec'd for an airframe as light as the Mavic.
Since we already know the weight of the Mavic comes in at MTOM 743g with bubble on we can safely assume that each motor is producing 185g of thrust at half stick to maintain hover (regulated via the flight controller)
Assuming a healthy 20% overhead, this would mean that the Mavic motors should be capable of producing around 450g of thrust per corner at full throttle for climb outs etc.
This wouldn't even make the esc's break sweat.

What the last two have suggested.... I would not tamper with a good system unless specifically authorized by DJI... and I'm one of those who usually does not leave well enough alone... yes, build an FPV racer, you can get them very cheap now a days :)

Wait until your warranty is done before you mod.

My inner adult tells me that you should never replace any propulsion related parts (motors, props, batteries, etc.) with 3rd party parts. Not only have many not worked as well in past DJI products, some people have crashed and others have voided their DJI warranty.
Coming from a guy that advertises DJI products. Bias much?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803