DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use the Car Charger on AC Power

LakeTravis

Reactions
61pj22PyyWL._SL1200_.jpg Here's a nutty idea. I read somewhere that the car charger actually charges the batteries slightly faster than the regular power supply one. Don't know yet if that's true, but I figured that it would be nice if you could actually be charging two batteries at once anyway, so you could get flying again faster. So I looked around and found this well-powered, very inexpensive AC to 12VDC adaptor. It works great. The next time I can quantify that two batteries are at 20% after flying, I'm going to time if it really is faster, but like I said, charging two simultaneously is nice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143J9900/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think you would need something like this instead:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2U9DE4/

71oTcZfZrGL._SL1200_.jpg

Then just use the normal power adapter that came with your Mavic.

He wants to use the actual "car charger" in the house. Its rated for 7.5a (90w @12V), which is plenty. This way he can actually charge two batteries at once without a charge hub; one with the AC charger and one with the AC/DC adapter and car charger. Bonus is that he says the car charger charges more quickly, and considering the charger is factory equipment, I'm betting it's a safe charge rating.

It does work and charge faster than the mains charger. Many doing that including me already, but with my big PSU I have for my RC chargers.

There is one caveat, the PSU needs to supply 13V or more. IF it supplies exactly 12 the car charger won't activate (low battery protection). The linked one may not work.

BTW there are several threads about that already, including links for suitable PSUs.

It does work and charge faster than the mains charger. Many doing that including me already, but with my big PSU I have for my RC chargers.

There is one caveat, the PSU needs to supply 13V or more. IF it supplies exactly 12 the car charger won't activate (low battery protection). The linked one may not work.

BTW there are several threads about that already, including links for suitable PSUs.

I've used it three times now with the Mavic car charger and I used it yesterday with a fairly heavy duty tire inflator. No problems at all.

Then you got lucky and it's supplying more than 12V unlike what's written in the specs. One that can be recommentded then.

A lot of those 12V power supplies for LED lights > 10A have adjustable voltage with a small poti.
The one i got ranges from 10V...16V so its gonna be fine.

Ender

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike