DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used DroneDeploy to map a quarry

Hey TLT.. thanks for adding in, it would be great to get help from you. Photogrammetry is an amazing field for me that I want to move into and learn more about. I did not know that you could be certified in photogrammetry. Is that a States (USA) based thing. Apart from all the new terminology I am thinking the most cost effective way, AKA cheapest way to measure GCP to make my data more accurate.

Can you tell me more of what you do or do you have a web site ? Also can you let us know more about your image acquisition platforms and processing software.

What do you think of the cloud based mapping solutions?

TIA

Yes, I concur with aerialphotosbrisbane on the comment to TLT.
FYI, i had limited success (overexposed images and out of focus but just usable) with a borrowed ios iphone 6 on the weekend (Android no capture at all!). Changing exposure in DJI GO4 App resolved exposure but not focus. I tested focus/exposure in DJI GO4 app and flew directly up to 100mts above my landing BMW LOGO type plate. No clarity isdues at all. So Mavic camera is good!
DroneDeploy have anseered me in last hour. They know of issues and have released a "fixed" ios version today, and will release an ANDROID update tomorrow. Lets see if they have fixed all issues. I can only test with Android tomorrow, as my ipad mini is still on the way :(

I am a Mavic owner and Certified Photogrammetrist and Mapping Scientist in Remote Sensing with a decade of aerial data processing experience. Hit me up with any questions. I'll give you pointers. Always happy to help someone with interests in this.
Hi there! Besides DroneDeploy have you had any success with Map Pilot (MapsMadeEasy)? Point being it seems to hold same height (AGL) throughout the flight. This may be REALLY useful to have images taken from the same height over undulating land. Especially VERY undulating land (ie more than 70mts elevation change). Any tips on gathering data that way? Anybody? :)

I use a combo of DJI GS Pro app and pix4d to process locally on my own machines. I don't like the cloud. Litchi waypoints do something similar. You can specify a certain altitude to stay above the launch point regardless of height changes in land.

Reactions: Hynekel
I use a combo of DJI GS Pro app and pix4d to process locally on my own machines. I don't like the cloud. Litchi waypoints do something similar. You can specify a certain altitude to stay above the launch point regardless of height changes in land.

Hi TLT, what computer hardware (processor RAM video card etc) do you think is a minimum for processing on your own machine, as opposed to uploading with Drone Deploy?

I am a Mavic owner and Certified Photogrammetrist and Mapping Scientist in Remote Sensing with a decade of aerial data processing experience. Hit me up with any questions. I'll give you pointers. Always happy to help someone with interests in this.
Hi there! Have you had success mapping with Mavic? If so, wiyh what flight app to fly and processing using what software/cloud based service. I'm very keen to hear of your experiences. Thanks

That's cool.
I actually know someone that was paid to do that 3D mapping at the quarry and back end of mt cootha about 3 years ago. They certainly needed much more expensive equipment to what is needed to do the same thing today,

I wanted to start by thanking the OP for posting this - I had no idea it existed. I joined up the first day and with the weather I could not "fly" to experience the results; however, I have not been extremely impressed with the post-processing. I was impressed by the automation as I have never trusted my P3, or Mavic, with any software to control it.

The 3 attempts: one parking lot and 2 of a house on different altitudes. The 2D images are really good (not flawless though.. I see issues), but the 3D images are really bad and it looks like a spookie horror house. Is that expected?

Also, for the parking lot test ~5 minute flight, I had accidentally broke the LOS rules as the mavic went up and just disappeared. I only shot from ~125ft up and approximately 4 acre area. I would have brought my binoculars had I considered this option, but I was over an area with no people, cars, etc. I was watching the DJI app, so I knew that she was safe and under control.

The 2D images are really good (not flawless though.. I see issues), but the 3D images are really bad and it looks like a spookie horror house. Is that expected?

It is expected and there are tips online to make your spookie house look not as spooky. I haven't looked into it too much but I believe it involves taking more pics of the house from another angle, lower altitude, and slower speed.

It is expected and there are tips online to make your spookie house look not as spooky. I haven't looked into it too much but I believe it involves taking more pics of the house from another angle, lower altitude, and slower speed.

Thanks JJM. I will have to take a look, but I figured that it may have had something to do with the angle and height and that is why I did 2 runs at different heights and angles. Maybe I can make it go slower, but given the area was only 100'x100' it would only allow 1 and 1/2 passes (angle wise).

The lower one did look alittle better, but still really disoriented. I am not in the "business", so I was just playing at it since I trained in CAM/CAD (in that order) before getting into my eventual field. So, it was purely to see what the capabilities were and the "cool" factor. Plus, we are all geeks when it comes to our toys right?

Thanks JJM. I will have to take a look, but I figured that it may have had something to do with the angle and height and that is why I did 2 runs at different heights and angles. Maybe I can make it go slower, but given the area was only 100'x100' it would only allow 1 and 1/2 passes (angle wise).

The lower one did look alittle better, but still really disoriented. I am not in the "business", so I was just playing at it since I trained in CAM/CAD (in that order) before getting into my eventual field. So, it was purely to see what the capabilities were and the "cool" factor. Plus, we are all geeks when it comes to our toys right?

The mavic is strictly a toy for me right now so I totally hear you on that. I'll be playing with drone deploy in the near future, just haven't had a chance yet.

Glad to see that other folks are getting into the 3D mapping. I'm a Licensed Surveyor here in Pa. with over 30yrs of experience and wanting to do 3D Mapping and Orthos with my Mavic. Been Doing research missions on 3 different platforms, Pix4D, Maps made Easy, and Drone Deploy. I haven't flown to many missions yet as the weather here is horrible (raining every other day) but will be posting my findings as well. Glad to see "arialphotobrisbane" started this post and will be checking in regularly.

TLT, got a question for ya. What's a good time of day for flying missions? I see different thoughts on this from early Morning to Highnoon. It's just me but flying at Highnoon would help with shadowing to keep it at a minimum.

JJM, didn't see your post. Answered I do best believe.

Last edited:
Hi TexInPa, welcome to the discussion, its great to have you contributing. To answer your question on mission flight times, I have read that 10-2 is the best time to minimize shadows (but then more chance of wind). I have not used Maps made Easy yet, any thoughts on how well it performs. I might have mentioned I have done over 5 missions now with DroneDeploy and the results have been great.. I really need to introduce ground control points into the equation to improve the relative accuracy.

Im using DroneDeploy to map fields on the farm here. Currently on the free 30 day trial.

After some experimentation and reading about others experiences, I turn off the Auto setting for the camera in DD and set it up instead in DJI Go

Set ISO to 200, shutter speed to give the perfect exposure, WB to sunny etc not Auto. Fly the drone manually to the height set in DD then focus then set to Manual Focus so it doesn't alter.

Finally switch back to the DD app and allow it to fly the mission and take the photos.

Have thus got some very high quality maps using this technique.

Its an amazing app and you can keep the free account which limits you to five maps per month.

Last edited:
Im using DroneDeploy to map fields on the farm here. Currently on the free 30 day trial.

After some experimentation and reading about others experiences, I turn off the Auto setting for the camera in DD and set it up instead in DJI Go

Set ISO to 200, shutter speed to give the perfect exposure, WB to sunny etc not Auto. Fly the drone manually to the height set in DD then focus then set to Manuel Focus so it doesn't alter.

Finally switch back to the DD app and allow it to fly the mission and take the photos.

Have thus got some very high quality maps using this technique.

Its an amazing app and you can keep the free account which limits you to five maps per month.

Thank you for the suggestions and I will give this a try next time. One comment, I tried using the app yesterday and it refused to let me fly due to a No Fly Zone. However, B4UFLY was showing fine, I was able to obtain my hour insurance from Vertifly (think that's the app) and I flew fine in the DJI Go app.

I was pretty bummed.

Hi Mark,

So you take off using DJI Go app, get the MavicPro to the desired height, focus, while still flying exit DJI Go app and run Drone Deploy? I am just interested if this is your approach?

Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa