DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used DroneDeploy to map a quarry

Hi

Yes...do all the camera settings in DJI Go at the mission height, close it, then open DD and run the mission whilst your drone is still in the air.

Apparently it is important to only have one control app running at a time but there seem to be no consequences from swiching apps mid flight.

Hi Mark,

So you take off using DJI Go app, get the MavicPro to the desired height, focus, while still flying exit DJI Go app and run Drone Deploy? I am just interested if this is your approach?

Thanks
Yes, it's the only way to get reliable images

One of my interests in using drones is for photogrammetry and 3D mapping. I recently did a 13 hectare map of a quarry near where I live. I programmed the flight on my desktop and sure enough there it was when I fired up my Ipad The flight time was approximately 10 minutes with the Mavic at 70 metres. Sure was impressive to see the drone take off into the sky and 10 minutes later land on the same spot.

The 3D model (can be viewed in real time ) is here DroneDeploy. Its made up of approx. 220 images. I also created a orthomosaic, the original being almost 17,000 byy 14,000 pixels. I resized and put on my Flickr page is anyone wants to see. goo.gl/VojHAR

Amazing technology that's for sure.
Speechless! This is incredible!! I didn't even know anything like this even existed and now I'm hooked. Thanks again. :)

Hi Mark,

So you take off using DJI Go app, get the MavicPro to the desired height, focus, while still flying exit DJI Go app and run Drone Deploy? I am just interested if this is your approach?

Thanks

This is also how I have been using Drone Deploy. I also find it always tries to self-land even when I had specified not to in that specific mission, so after DD finishes, I need to swap back to the DJI Go app to cancel the landing.

Any time you need to gain control in DD, just flick the Mavic into Sport mode.

I do that when the Mavic is landing back home in DD, as its RTH precision is not as accurate as that in DJI Go

Any time you need to gain control in DD, just flick the Mavic into Sport mode.

I do that when the Mavic is landing back home in DD, as its RTH precision is not as accurate as that in DJI Go
True. My Mavic landed 10 mtrs from the take off point - and with a completely disoriented heading. Thought my compass was off.

thanks, I will try that on a short, low, slow run
Phil,
I see this thread hasn't moved on since mid-2017. I wondered whether you had any updates on combination of mapping tools or whether you were still using Drone Deploy and Auto Pano Giga.
Thanks

David

Hynekel, I read on the forum that the hyperfocal distance of the camera is 13m and I have to test this. So in theory when doing aerial mapping, just set the camera manually to 13m before you take off and everything from 13m to infinity is in focus.. my next thing to test :).

Well said and look forward to your follow up results, BTW, re hyperfocal distance, just to be pedantic, what is in acceptable focus when set to the hyperfocal distance is actually half the hyperfocal distance to infinity, so if it IS 13m then what’s in focus is about 6.5m to infinity or extreme distance which is of course even better for what you are trying to achieve, ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost