DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using iPad mini

Abs

Reactions
I'm thinking of buying an iPad mini 4 to use with my Mavic Pro.

Question.
Is the Wifi only one going to be ok?
I know I won't be able to use GPS features but is that really important?
Mainly I just want to have the maps.

If I get a cellular one with gps will the maps work without a SIM card in it?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Is the Wifi only one going to be ok?
Yes.

I know I won't be able to use GPS features but is that really important?
It's only important if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or have the ability to change the home point from the takeoff location to your current location after takeoff (e.g. if you walk away from the takeoff location).

If I get a cellular one with gps will the maps work without a SIM card in it?
Yes. But, this setup will just add GPS -- which you might not even need (see above). It's also more expensive to buy the cellular version of an iPad Mini without a cellular contract.

In order to see the maps, you must have an Internet connection. You could cache the maps in DJI GO in a location where you have an Internet connection before you head out to fly or tether your iPad Mini 4 to a phone that can be used as a hot spot and download the maps in real-time as you fly.

I use iPad Mini with my Phantom 3 and 4. Set my iPhone as a Hotspot and connect to the iPad. Works flawlessly

Same here; I've considered snagging a Mini 2 from one of the places (Wal-Mart, etc.) expected to offer it for $200 on Black Friday, but the Mini 4's superior anti-reflective coating seems to make it a much better choice for outdoor use.

Unfortunately, it's something of a moot point for me currently since I don't have my Mavic yet. :(

That is exactly what I want to do but I'm really an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Could you provide a more detailed answer?
If your iPad mini does not have Cellular package and you have an iPhone with cell service you can; go to settings in your iPhone and turn on "Personal Hotspot" feature. The screen will show a self generated password. go to your wifi setting in your iPad an you will see your phone as a choice to connect to. choose your phone and input the password. Now when you launch the Go-Pro app, your maps will display satellite information on the screen

I think I'll look for a wifi only iPad mini 4 then.

I'm thinking of when I use it abroad and don't have 4g or anything when out and about. I guess I'll have to learn how to cache the map prior to leaving a wifi area.

Using a cell phone as a personal hotspot is a great idea, but it may be unavailable, limited, or cost you extra money depending on the terms of your cell phone plan. For example, it's included for "free" as part of the T-Mobile plan I currently have, but it wasn't included in the plan I previously had with Verizon.

Last edited:

This seems like a pretty good time to buy one, at least if you're in the U.S. I ordered an iPad Mini 4 from Best Buy, which currently has a pretty good sale on them, and other places may also. Now if I can just get the Mavic to go with it I'll be all set. :rolleyes:

You can still use the GPS in an Apple device even if the cell service has not been activated.

Ah didnt know that, so i guess you cant use a mini 2 or 3 that has cellular without service. But a 4 with cellular can be used without service. Do i have that right?

You can use any of the minis without cellular. You just won't have "workable" maps, unless you cache them while still connected via wifi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+