DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using the Mavic as a hand held Camera

FORDY

Reactions
I was thinking of buying the DJI Osmo 4k camera but I now wonder if I should get myself a Mavic and have the best of both worlds. Admittedly the Mavic is larger than the Osmo but it is a consideration when using hand held. Have any Mavic owners any thoughts on this. Can the Mavic be used as a hand held camera? I have used my Phantom 3A for this purpose, will the Mavic switch on if the props are not extended?

Any thoughts Mavic owners......

I tryed it and made like 2 short vids of my dogs just to test it, but you gonna take it slow with the movement.
The video`s are pretty good and stable. But its hard to move the gimbal up/down and use left/right with 1 hand and holding the mavic with the other hand.
But its doable ;)
You just have to get the hang of it i guess.

I think that there was another thread on this topic in which someone showed a 3D printed handle for holding a folded-up Mavic while using it as a stabilized, hand-held camera. It looked really, really unbalanced and awkward. Yeah, in a pinch you could use a Mavic that way, but IMHO I don't think that it's a good solution, and I would rather get a separate camera and gimbal mount if I needed that capability.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

Reactions: jaysmithtechtv
It's possible and usable for rare cases. I did it few times when skiing to integrate some sequences to my final aerial movie. It work great. You can keep the mavic arms unfolded, connect your phone in WiFi mode (no rc needed) launch the record, lock your phone screen, drop your phone in your pocket and ski! Camera movement are smooth, very funny. Try it and see the limit (because there are some).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom