DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Valuable lesson - high winds.

sparky1111

Reactions
I'm sure an encounter has already been posted but I'm gonna post again as I got too cocky and thought I was immune.

I'm well aware of allowing extra time for head wind etc but I had also read that since the last update something here about error messages stating high wind so when flying I ignored the high wind warning (2nd flight with mavic) and carried on. My first battery was fine, landed usual stuff and set off again.
On the ground there was no wind at all so I was putting high wind error down to software glitch.
I was also thinking higher altitude greater wind etc etc.
However with 45% battery at 8000ft out which is nothing for me with my trusty P4 I thought I'll head back to give myself extra time due to any headwind etc.
The intelligent flight time does not take into account ANY WIND what so ever as we know so that is down to our judgement.
I started heading back but my flight speed was about 5mph to 7mph and I just struggled to gain distance. The flight computer told me I was still in the green for battery per distance but in my head the maths didn't add up.
My son stood with me and my hands were trembling and I said to him I aint gonna make it back.
I was looking for land marks on the way back to home in case it auto landed but it was too hilly.
The battery had now warned me I only had enough for return to home yet I was still 5000ft out and still not making distance.
I did the usual trick of putting her in sport mode which gave me 22mph at full throttle.
When it got to 10% it warned me it was autolanding, I was about 500 high and was surprised that even though she was autolanding I could still take her forward and control her.
I could barely hold the controller as my hands were shaking with fear!
Then I seen her come over the last hill towards me with 5% battery.
Now I had nearly 12 months flying experience with the P4 and had a feel for battery performance with conditions bit I felt let down with the Mavic.
When I popped it in sport mode the power (in comparison with the P4) dropped vastly quicker than what I'm used to.
I had a lucky escape!!
My lesson this time is don't dismiss warnings and give myself even more battery allowance for reliance and not to trust the computer with estimated battery time per distance display.
The Mavic is good for range and portability but I'm thinking I prefer the P4.

I'm sure an encounter has already been posted but I'm gonna post again as I got too cocky and thought I was immune.

I'm well aware of allowing extra time for head wind etc but I had also read that since the last update something here about error messages stating high wind so when flying I ignored the high wind warning (2nd flight with mavic) and carried on. My first battery was fine, landed usual stuff and set off again.
On the ground there was no wind at all so I was putting high wind error down to software glitch.
However with 45% battery at 8000ft out which is nothing for me with my trusty P4 I thought I'll head back to give myself extra time due to any headwind etc.
The intelligent flight time does not take into account ANY WIND what so ever as we know so that is down to our judgement.
I started heading back but my flight speed was about 5mph to 7mph and I just struggled to gain distance. The flight computer told me I was still in the green for battery per distance but in my head the maths didn't add up.
My son stood with me and my hands were trembling and I said to him I aint gonna make it back.
I was looking for land marks on the way back to home in case it auto landed but it was too hilly.
The battery had now warned me I only had enough for return to home yet I was still 5000ft out and still not making distance.
I did the usual trick of putting her in sport mode which gave me 22mph at full throttle.
When it got to 10% it warned me it was autolanding, I was about 500 high and was surprised that even though she was autolanding I could still take her forward and control her.
Now I had nearly 12 months flying experience with the P4 and had a feel for battery performance with conditions bit I felt let down with the Mavic.
When I popped it in sport mode the power (in comparison with the P4) dropped vastly quicker than what I'm used to.
I had a lucky escape!!
My lesson this time is don't dismiss warnings and give myself even more battery allowance for reliance and not to trust the computer with estimated battery time per distance display.
Good post.

Next time, head out against the wind. It takes the windspeed into account that way thus gives you enough (even a bit too much) margin to make it back home.

Reactions: Joao Vgs
You felt let down by the Mavic?

Definitely DJI's fault!

On a serious note, the wind warnings are pretty annoying and don't seem to be very reliable.

I use the UAV forecast app to see wind speed at 50m rather than at ground level.

Had a similar experience where I had to land half way home with my P3A last year.

At least you survived this one.

That wind warning is always flashing! With the mavic being so light I have trained myself to always watch the speed she is going. My p4 is much bulkier and goes through the wind better.

And be aware that windspeeds and directions vary at different altitudes, just ask ballooners, it's their only mean to change directions.

Reactions: paulkemp
And be aware that windspeeds and directions vary at different altitudes, just ask ballooners, it's their only mean to change directions.

"Just ask balooners" LOL.

I know it's serious, but in a week I've gone from not even caring about the weather, to studying wind speeds, altitudes, UAVs, BLOS and asking "balooners" :D

"Just ask balooners" LOL.

I know it's serious, but in a week I've gone from not even caring about the weather, to studying wind speeds, altitudes, UAVs, BLOS and asking "balooners" :D
Haha, I'm talking about balloon pilots, obviously not about (From Urban Dictionary) A person who blows (sucks, licks), could be used for anything like a person who blows on a lollipop .

But you got that already :) :) :)

I had a lucky escape!!

I'm glad to hear you made it back. To avoid this happening, you should pay attention to the radar view. In that circle you can see the relative lean angles. If you use it enough, you can get a good feel for wind speed and direction. If you are flying out with a tail wind, you see that the half circle is in near the middle of the circle. If there was no tail wind, you would see half circle shaded part extend 2/3 of the way to the top as it should. If you have a head wind, you'll see reduced speed, and the half circle is taking up the majority of the circle due to forward lean. If you see the half circle slanted, that means there is a cross wind, which also eats a lot of battery.

Next, you mentioned that your speed was very low, and then suddenly sport mode you had like over 22 mph. You should make sure that you've turned OFF obstacle avoidance. That mode reduces speed too much. Keep it off. You will still be alerted of obstacles with beeping controller and red bars on the screen. The difference is that you must let off the right stick to stop. Mavic won' stop on it's own. Now you'll get 32mph with full right stick and 33.6mph with RTH + full right stick. These are far more efficient speeds than sport mode gives. If you must use sport mode to get even more speed, pay attention to the power meter / tachometer and try to keep power/rpm below 80% to keep battery consumption in check.

Thanks for the info on the radar. I missed that one. I managed to photograph a new crop circle formation. I'll post it later. I was in Salisbury Plain next to silbury hill. West Kennet. Very strange place.

As promised
83016cf60f81231bd7c2bbfb3258a20f.jpg

An unrecorded one!

Thanks to the Mavic!!

And more...

9d6582850bd3aa6d55267ff1f0b4e069.jpg

6144b276ced52e9e700af40a2736aa35.jpg

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct, back when I lived in Plano TX I crewed a few times for a couple different balloons, it's really amazing how they increase and decrease altitude to steer.

Also next time make sure you reduce altitude immediately. while moving Watch your speed as you descend. If you find a good speed at a particular altitude stay there.

Wind warnings come in different colors. I dont understand why people get annoyed. Its easy to forget that it can be quite windy up there

I had something similar happen to me......cept I was 12000 ft out, fighting to get back.....so I climbed up to about 600 ft figuring that at least if my Mavic started to auto land I could have some time to find a safe spot to let it put down. In the end I flew it over a ski trail full of long grass incase it dropped from the sky........ but I made it back with 1% remaining, and was even able to convince it to land just about where it took off from.

I had something similar happen to me......cept I was 12000 ft out, fighting to get back.....so I climbed up to about 600 ft figuring that at least if my Mavic started to auto land I could have some time to find a safe spot to let it put down. In the end I flew it over a ski trail full of long grass incase it dropped from the sky........ but I made it back with 1% remaining, and was even able to convince it to land just about where it took off from.
Interesting. I would never of made it back had it not of been for my altitude.

I always check the weather before I fly, 20mph winds is about the highest winds I feel comfortable flying in.

Just the other day, a friend had his P4P out and we had guest upto 30mph. He put it with the wind and got it to 74mph. That thing was moving! He just took out for a quick flight to see how fast it would go. Took a bit longer to get it back. I'm always caucus of the wind here in kansas. It can go from 0 to 30+ and back to 10mph in a afternoon.

I'm glad to hear you made it back. To avoid this happening, you should pay attention to the radar view. In that circle you can see the relative lean angles. If you use it enough, you can get a good feel for wind speed and direction. If you are flying out with a tail wind, you see that the half circle is in near the middle of the circle. If there was no tail wind, you would see half circle shaded part extend 2/3 of the way to the top as it should. If you have a head wind, you'll see reduced speed, and the half circle is taking up the majority of the circle due to forward lean. If you see the half circle slanted, that means there is a cross wind, which also eats a lot of battery.

Next, you mentioned that your speed was very low, and then suddenly sport mode you had like over 22 mph. You should make sure that you've turned OFF obstacle avoidance. That mode reduces speed too much. Keep it off. You will still be alerted of obstacles with beeping controller and red bars on the screen. The difference is that you must let off the right stick to stop. Mavic won' stop on it's own. Now you'll get 32mph with full right stick and 33.6mph with RTH + full right stick. These are far more efficient speeds than sport mode gives. If you must use sport mode to get even more speed, pay attention to the power meter / tachometer and try to keep power/rpm below 80% to keep battery consumption in check.

What is this radar view you speak of? In the DJI App?

What is this radar view you speak of? In the DJI App?

On Ipads you'll see both map view and radar/tach view. On phones and android devices you'll see map view by default. To view radar/tachometer you need to click the upper right corner of the small map view. The map will be replaced with radar/tachometer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580