Video and stills

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leonardo, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Quick question my fellow mavic experts.

I was wondering if the DJI mavic had an option to record video and take pictures on a timer simultaneously (i.e take pictures every 5 seconds). This is a very useful feature that the gopro has. Still waiting to get my mavic delivered!

2. Deckyon

Deckyon Well-Known Member

And there is the answer to your question. Still waiting even on the official production manual, rather that the VERY rough draft that has been circulating. And no, havent seen anything mention it taking stills while videoing.

3. SnowSkier

SnowSkier Member

With a good video editor you can choose a frame for a photo, if that's not available on the Mavic. That´s my guess as I have a Lumix 4K and all the video I record I can take stills out of it in 4K and it works for sure.

4. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

It's not possible to take photos while recording video.

5. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Thanks for the replies, I don't know if you have ever used that feature on the gopro but it is very useful. I get to record everything and have some pretty amazing pictures at the same time without having to worry about clicking.

6. DefaultIT

DefaultIT Well-Known Member

FWIW you can pull fairly decent frames if recording in 4K. No RAW, but I've gotten good enough results from this to use online without much hesitation

7. Drone Runner

Drone Runner Active Member

The sensor/chip that DJI used from the Phantom 3 series was designed to be capable of taking a photo while simultaneously recording video (it is the same chip used in the GoPro) but DJI never added that functionality despite many requests.
    However the way it's done on the GoPro is simply by getting a frame grab from the video source so it's not true photo mode.

8. Blade Strike

Blade Strike Member

No..