DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Cacheing - Could it help me find my mavic?

TrayBoz

Reactions
I have a question for you experienced mavicians.

I recently decided to turn off Video Caching on my iPad Mini4 when flying to reduce the workload of the iPad when flying and to save storage space on it (yes I know you can purge cached files).

My question is: if (God forbid) something happens and I lose the mavic someday in flight, am I reducing my chances of finding the mavic without these cached video files?

I'm not experienced in viewing or uploading any flight logs or flight data. I'd like to think that if I did have a fly-away or crash that I could just look at the flight/route data on my iPad to be able to pinpoint the last known coordinates and go there to retrieve it. But am I losing this option by NOT cacheing the video to my device?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

I dont believe so the cache is a video cache DJI app will still have ur flight record and route and also go 4 app has find my drone only good thing about cachevis u might if recording stays on recognise an area

But go 4 will still record ur flight route and last known position

Reactions: Rbruz
You're reducing your chances of proving to someone it wasn't your fault. That cached video is often helpful around here in diagnosing errors in flight and helping people understand where/how you were flying at the time of an incident. Can be very useful in making your case to DJI that you had a manufacturer issue rather than an operator one.

I don't think so.
The cached video could help find your drone? Yes. Is it necessary? No.
The point is; you can watch the cached video over and over again to remember the closest spot where you lose it.
I saw a video on YT where a guy flew his Mavic along a sea shore and when he decided to return, the struggle with the wind began.
Bottom line, the battery has gone and he tried to land near a green spot.
He walked to that spot guided by the GPS and found the shrubs where it landed comparing to the video.

I also turned off video cache on my iPad mini 4 and yesterday I flew my Mavic and after that I watched the flight record. Nothing loses, everything fine.

And, as you said, hope we never have to do this for retrieving purposes.
Fly safe!

Reactions: Ebruce and Rbruz
The point is there have been cases where people lost their device and the logs could be interpreted as the person hitting an obstacle, so no warranty.
If the video cache was enabled and they were recording they cold have proven they were in the clear.

The point is there have been cases where people lost their device and the logs could be interpreted as the person hitting an obstacle, so no warranty.
If the video cache was enabled and they were recording they cold have proven they were in the clear.
Good point.

You're reducing your chances of proving to someone it wasn't your fault. That cached video is often helpful around here in diagnosing errors in flight and helping people understand where/how you were flying at the time of an incident. Can be very useful in making your case to DJI that you had a manufacturer issue rather than an operator one.
DJI take no note of your cached video and the txt and dat logs are all they use.The experts here rarely use cached video as it does not contain anything of real value for fault diagnosis. Many times people think they know what happened from cached video but are proved very wrong by the logs.

Also many crashes hapoen when the video and RC feed cut. In this case your cache means little as the AC could be a long way from where your video ends,

I have only seen one video where the cache was all that was meeded. The experts here will always want your TXT or DAT files

Where or how you are flying is covered in all the files including the DJI go 4 app itself

Check out your flight record in DJI go 4

I have my cache set to max 2GB with auto-purging. I'm not really sacrificing anything significant in terms of storage space, but I figure if there's a tiny chance I might ever want/need a cached file of something, I might as well have it. I also screen-record every one of my flights. Maybe I'm just being paranoid :) But I have had one or two instances where the Mavic has done something funky, and I've been able to review it and report it thanks to the screen recording.

I have my cache set to max 2GB with auto-purging. I'm not really sacrificing anything significant in terms of storage space, but I figure if there's a tiny chance I might ever want/need a cached file of something, I might as well have it. I also screen-record every one of my flights. Maybe I'm just being paranoid :) But I have had one or two instances where the Mavic has done something funky, and I've been able to review it and report it thanks to the screen recording.
Mine does funky stuff but thats coz i am a **** pilot :)

Reactions: jasoraso
I have only seen one video where the cache was all that was needed. The experts here will always want your TXT or DAT files

I agree the TXT and DAT are far more important, but I'd much rather have the cached video and not need it than need it and not have it. Sometimes you can catch some great info from a cached video, like that guy the other day who had his mavic disconnect and drift. He provided us video (he recovered his drone, so no issue with cache vs not) but the video of the dead glass water just seconds before it DC'd and started drifting was very helpful in determining windspeed at the time of the incident. That's one thing that the logs do not capture well, that video can communicate very effectively if there are enough telltales in the video. Plenty of other reasons to have it around too, and considering the iPad Mini 4 in question has plenty of horsepower to record it, I see no reason at all to shut it off.

I agree the TXT and DAT are far more important, but I'd much rather have the cached video and not need it than need it and not have it. Sometimes you can catch some great info from a cached video, like that guy the other day who had his mavic disconnect and drift. He provided us video (he recovered his drone, so no issue with cache vs not) but the video of the dead glass water just seconds before it DC'd and started drifting was very helpful in determining windspeed at the time of the incident. That's one thing that the logs do not capture well, that video can communicate very effectively if there are enough telltales in the video. Plenty of other reasons to have it around too, and considering the iPad Mini 4 in question has plenty of horsepower to record it, I see no reason at all to shut it off.
I will say i agree the wind and as an aside i never shut mine off its set at max 16gb as oftenni travel with phone and no laptop and want to take a look at my flights etc.

Idont think it would in most cases. Make a difference but at 1000 a pop for a Mavic you are correct that all info together will build a better picture of the jigsaw

I dont suggest that he does shut it down only that It is not the most impirtant aspect of losing a drone.

User choice as i say mine is always on unless flying long distances where i try to conserve all power just for flight

Flying a Mavic is like doing the lottery you never know when your numbers gonna come up and not in a good way

Best thing is expect to lose it on every flight but hope to hell u dont

I am at around 190 thousand meters flown with barely a wobble that has not bern my fault

30 RTH done and every one perfect

Tomorrow may not be a perfect day

Brings a new meaning to shouting Mavics away :)

and considering the iPad Mini 4 in question has plenty of horsepower to record it, I see no reason at all to shut it off.
Totally agree. But what bothers me most is the fact that everything on iOS needs that ******* iTunes as a file explorer.
So if I wanna see something I've just recorded I have to go back home, turn on my PC and plug my iPad to see something (I know I can do this over wi-fi but, whatever...)

Totally agree. But what bothers me most is the fact that everything on iOS needs that ******* iTunes as a file explorer.
So if I wanna see something I've just recorded I have to go back home, turn on my PC and plug my iPad to see something (I know I can do this over wi-fi but, whatever...)
I use the automatic upload feature of Google Photos on my Android, so my phone will start uploading to the cloud as soon as it's on WiFi. Is that feasible for you? Or can iCloud do that?

I use the automatic upload feature of Google Photos on my Android, so my phone will start uploading to the cloud as soon as it's on WiFi. Is that feasible for you? Or can iCloud do that?
Yeah I also use that on my phone (S7 Edge), it's pretty simple and handy.
I don't know if iCloud can do that, but even if it could, it would not work.
When you fly your Mavic with an Android device you can access the cached files almost instantaneously. You cannot do that with an iOS device.

Yeah I also use that on my phone (S7 Edge), it's pretty simple and handy.
I don't know if iCloud can do that, but even if it could, it would not work.
When you fly your Mavic with an Android device you can access the cached files almost instantaneously. You cannot do that with an iOS device.
What cached files if you mean the video you can access all cached video from DJI App

Same for photos

Go to editor then albums then videos and its there you can replay it as soon as your flight is over

Are you looking in DJI Go 4 editor?

I am on IOS i edit downmy cached video upload it to u tube and then clear my cache before i am in my car most days

Edit to say one u upload to u tube then u do not need IOS at all

What cached files if you mean the video you can access all cached video from DJI App

Same for photos

Go to editor then albums then videos and its there you can replay it as soon as your flight is over

I am on IOS i edit downmy cached video upload it to u tube and then clear my cache before i am in my car most days

Hi Gary,

I also do edit video from DJI go 4 editor, but when i upload to FB or youtube video quality decreases and not HD.
how to setup on dji go app editor to keep HD video when upload to FB or youtube

thanks
nizar

Hi Gary,

I also do edit video from DJI go 4 editor, but when i upload to FB or youtube video quality decreases and not HD.
how to setup on dji go app editor to keep HD video when upload to FB or youtube

thanks
nizar
Set your you tube settings to upload in HD it is still not great but is just about ok especiallly when viewed on phone or laptop. Always when u watch the videos make sure you go to settings qality and switch from auto select to 1080

If u watch this video then swap settings whike you watch you will see a difference it is still not great but that is because i am no cameraman but for general sharing to friends it does ok.

Edited to say i also download ro my camera roll edit on adobe premiere which is free then upload to you tube but only fo it on wifi if u dont have unlimited internet

Reactions: masnizar

Same for photos

Hi Gary.
Yes, I'm looking in Go 4. But I meant how can you manage the files?
Is it possible to move them to another folder or rename them?

I used to flew with my S7 Edge and I could do anything. Even share right away (but data plan needed of course). I also used to move them from phone to SD card.

You can't manage any files on iOS (unless your device is jailbroken). All you can do is use the functions the app provides, or retrieve them though iTunes.

You can't manage any files on iOS (unless your device is jailbroken). All you can do is use the functions the app provides, or retrieve them though iTunes.
See? That's why I don't like iOS devices. But this is me.
Truth is, iPad mini 4 is one of the best device for this.

Reactions: geigy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000