DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editing: Does anyone have experience with Magix FastCut?

Flawless

Reactions
Just received a notification from HumbleBundle (which I often get games from) about a streaming bundle.

Humble Software Bundle: Streaming (pay what you want and help charity)

They're offering a bundle that includes an editing program called Magix Fastcut, which is optimised for GoPro (and similar) footage.

I was wondering if anyone has used it in conjunction with UAV footage, or has any other experience with it?

The program is okay for fast Edit. But you Will over time Found tour self Limited when Edit. Cause its does not have many Advanced settings like other programs. Have you tried divinci resolve? Its free and really a good way to start edit.

Have you tried divinci resolve? Its free and really a good way to start edit.

Never heard before. Is it realy good?
I mean good enough like Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro? I'm looking for a free tool.

Never heard before. Is it realy good?
I mean good enough like Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro? I'm looking for a free tool.

I've started working a little with Davinci Resolve, and it seems incredibly powerful. Certainly going to be using it for my more polished efforts.

Agree Davinci Resolve is awesome. Great for drone footage as it has some really good stabilization built into the free version. I use it all the time for my footage. It takes a whiles to get your head around it but it's no more difficult that any other Pro editing software out there. Get it and you won't look back. You just need to invest some time in it to get results.

Reactions: ed1nh0
Yeah agreed you need to put some times in it but its Worth it and Lots of video on Youtube thats shows the things you need. I use it a Lot and it Works really Great. [emoji4]

Does anyone happen to know if I switch my 32GB microSD cards to exFAT, will the Mavic work with them? I had an issue where it split the file at 9 minutes due to hitting the 4GB cap.

Reactions: ed1nh0
So, looks like I can't format the cards as exFAT if they're 32GB. Will have to try and get a 64GB card to avoid those annoying 4GB file cuts.

Hi Flawless, I signed up after finding your post looking into an issue with the software you mentioned and thought I should give you and everyone else a heads up about this bundle.
(Actually a 3DR Solo owner myself :p)

I just bought the same Streaming Bundle from Humble Bundle myself, simply because it contained Magix Fastcut and feel anyone considering it should be made aware of an issue as there is no way to know until purchased, that despite all the other included software being up to date, the Magix Fastcut included is an old, no longer sold or supported version and is extremely limited to the latest version. And there is nothing on Humble Bundle that mentions this, despite it featuring the current price Fastcut is sold for, and even registering the program and downloading it either from the Humble store or Magix site, you will not have any indication it is an old version until you install and update it then look at the "about" area and see the version number or notice some of the main advertised features missing. e.g Template Creation.
Template creation being able to make your own templates to your own music.

The version you get from Humble is 1.xx and the current version Magix sells is 2.xx, after I contacted Magix and enquired why the program was missing features and would not update to the newest version I received this disappointing email back.

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The version of Fastcut that is being supplied by the Humble Bundle is version 1.0 of Fastcut.
This is an older version of the software that we no longer supply.
The current version that we supply directly on our website is Fascut 2.0.
Some of the features advertised in version 2.0 are not available in version 1.0.
Unfortunately this has not been made clear by the Humble Bundle and has caused confusion with customers. Please contact Humble Bundle directly regarding this.

If you are interested in the latest version of the program, we can offer you a discounted upgrade.
We hope for your understanding.

Best regards,
Thomas Ash

MAGIX Software GmbH
Thomas Ash
Postfach 200914
01194 Dresden

Managing Director: Klaus Schmidt | Commercial Register Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 127205

Fastcut could be a good program for editing together drone/action footage in a couple of minutes and clicks, when it has the template creator, but the Humble version, you get a limited selection of 15 premade templates all with not a huge degree of variation, specifically music, so if like me you make and upload a lot of videos you will soon be recycling edits and music and have no way to add or make new ones.
That aside you get a basic video editor in it (does have image stabilisation and fisheye removal), that could be easily compared to many free video editors out there, and if you end up having to manually edit video and sound you may as well not bother as it defeats the whole purpose of what a program like Fastcut is all about.

If anything the Humble version feels like GoPro studio which is free, with a minor auto editor feature. (I think GoPro's addition of Quik does similar but don't quote me on that.)

Lot of the music is looping digital tracks that sound like they are made in Magix Music Maker software.

So yeah if you really want software like this I recommend you try before you buy if you can, and skip straight to the complete and up to date version available from Magix.
Because with the Template Creator and other added functions I'd definitely recommend the program, or if it's a GoPro you use then give the free Quik a try and see if that works for you. (I need an alternative because my PC seems to never detect my gorpo is connected which Quik seems to need to work)

But yeah, I have to say stay away from the Humble version unless you're happy to produce clone videos over and over. :confused:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird